Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I just cannot believe these stories, but I have to. So many data points that these smell smoke like a fire. I was first planning a week in Seychelles but many folks recommended Maledives better and tad less expensive so I was lured into CMRI scope. But now I am back to plan Seychelles again.

After all, enjoy the new year scene dudes over there now!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Silver
Originally Posted by FFlash
But now I am back to plan Seychelles again.

After all, enjoy the new year scene dudes over there now!
Our first trip to Rangali is coming up in March, and we are slightly concerned with what we are getting into.

I can confirm though, from last year's experience, seychelles is nice. we stayed at both the Northolme and Labriz properties and they were both nothing short of amazing.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by earn_burn
Our first trip to Rangali is coming up in March, and we are slightly concerned with what we are getting into.

I can confirm though, from last year's experience, seychelles is nice. we stayed at both the Northolme and Labriz properties and they were both nothing short of amazing.
I came back from my first trip to Rangali earlier this month and whilst I certainly had some issues with the place, it was still a great holiday.

Would I go back? No, I wouldn't.
Would I have still gone had I known then what I know now? Yes, I think I would. It's still a really nice place to experience - just a shame that the service side has slipped so far.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Silver
I think we will be fine. Beggars (paying with points) cant exactly be choosers. Maybe for a cash stay it would be a different story.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I think we will be fine. Beggars (paying with points) cant exactly be choosers. Maybe for a cash stay it would be a different story.
Please don't think of points as free. A 5 night stay costs 380000 points - which will eventually cost me $1900 (by choosing to use them here and ultimately, eventually, pay cash for another hotel further down the road that I would have used points for if I wasn't using them here). Add to that your seaplane transfers and that's over $4k.

Secret Sales are currently doing 5 nights at the Pullman Maldvies for £3179 (around $4200) including transfers and full all inclusive.

Always have a value on your points.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:20 am

Everyone's different in terms of expectations, but chances are I think you'll have a great time.
I was there a month ago during the week where it rained everyday. I experienced service lapses, communication issues, as well as all the disappointing developments related to now sparse Diamond benefits. But in the end, we still had the time of our lives. Above-water villa was just an incredible concept to us, snorkeling was great, SWV felt luxurious to us, housekeeping was great, and the walk between Main and Quiet Islands that we did numerous times a day now feels like a dream.

My data point is only one stay, one villa. But based on that, I still think it's worthy of the Conrad name. There are other Conrads that are more questionable, such as Conrad Singapore
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
My data point is only one stay, one villa. But based on that, I still think it's worthy of the Conrad name. There are other Conrads that are more questionable, such as Conrad Singapore
DOH! Don't tell me that!!!!!!! The trip starts there (although will be checking out the intercontinental a few blocks down too)
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Been out of the loop for a while, but are credit card deposits on award bookings the norm now? Went to make a 5 night booking on points and was surprised to see a ~$5K deposit required that is charged to the card and isn't cleared until after your stay. When planning a stay that is a year away, that seems like an awful lot of funds to keep in escrow.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold

Thanks for this OT comment as I am also considering Seychelles.

How's the snorkeling there? Do they have afternoon tea or a complimentary happy hour?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
Maldivesfreak: I read your posts about water villa selection - the photo links seem to be expired... I'm wondering what you suggest to be the best sunset water villas? It looks like you suggest 325,326,327,328 are no good. Thanks!!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:24 pm

no. It’s an error with the site, there’s no reason for then to take a cc deposit and they don’t (my source is about 6 bookings so far that say this but haven’t charged).

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
Been out of the loop for a while, but are credit card deposits on award bookings the norm now? Went to make a 5 night booking on points and was surprised to see a ~$5K deposit required that is charged to the card and isn't cleared until after your stay. When planning a stay that is a year away, that seems like an awful lot of funds to keep in escrow.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by peachy3
Maldivesfreak: I read your posts about water villa selection - the photo links seem to be expired... I'm wondering what you suggest to be the best sunset water villas? It looks like you suggest 325,326,327,328 are no good. Thanks!!
Sorry, quick reply. Just about to leave for the airport. The first 4 are out except for the southernmost unit. All others are OK. Basically. If you read the post(s) it specifies the best villas in the text, you don't need to look at the pic(s).

I'm off to paradise.....
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Older posts can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD to 2013

ARCHIVE THREAD 2014 to 2017

Newer posts for this ARCHIVE THREAD can be found in the

OPEN THREAD for Conrad Maldives Rangali Island

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.