Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by itsj0nathan
Dont be surprised if this resort is axed from the Hilton portfolio, considering there are two brand new properties. With the recent change in ownership anything is on the table....
There was talk of this a while back in the thread but the new owners have agreed (and apparently are very happy) to keep it a Hilton property for the forseeable future.

Originally Posted by enox5
It takes a lot of effort to organise (now finished) afternoon tea and happy hour.
On the contrary. If you look at a beach dinner (the Fisherman's BBQ or Champagne & Lobster dinner), they require a bit of effort. The NYE Gala requires a lot of effort to organize. Happy Hour is the easiest thing in the world for them. It requires a chef to make a few snacks and the staff to turn up, unlock the fridges and serve drinks. Something they could do blindfolded (they've been doing it for the last 15 years).....

It is not really possible to differentiate between golds and diamonds, without entirely excluding gold from events
It is and was possible. If you knew what kind of benefits are / were on offer, i.e; have read the wiki, you would realize this. They even have benefits for Diamonds that they don't want to be publicized.

Also, it is a pain for the hotel to maintain a list of different sets of elites, and provide different benefits to each
Again, it doesn't. It's a Conrad, not a Garden Inn!

Originally Posted by travelisphun
I have a stay scheduled next month. I am a Diamond and booked a Beach Villa with points. An upgrade to one of the newly renovated sunset-facing over-water villas will run about $1500 a night all in. For those of you that have been before, do you think the upgrade is worthwhile? Let's say 1/2 of this because it is during peak, high demand season, and the other half is because of the nicer room. Would it be worthwhile at $750 a night?
Do you mean the RWVs? Now re-named GWVs (I must update the wiki with this.....)

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 27, 2019 at 7:04 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Best to email the resort for confirmation I guess. I'm replying to the DoO's email this evening and will ask about it and try to confirm what @rslb75 said.

Who exactly told you this particular information / How did you come to these conclusions?

I spoke to the staff at Rangali, where the afternoon tea is now held and they confirmed it is invite only. I then spoke to a couple who was on their honeymoon with Hilton gold status and confirmed to us that they were invited for afternoon tea, but only for one day.

I spoke with others that had diamond status and they did not receive invites to the managers happy hour nor afternoon tea. I suspect that these two benefits have been cut to paid guests, but am not sure, just based on a small sample.

The F&B managed recognized us when we walked to the managers happy hour and still gave us two glasses of champagne, but it was clear that we werent invited and it was out of generosity (perhaps due to the fact we had a full week of lunch and dinner reservations left?)

Would anyone be kind enough to mail an ornament to me for my girlfriend? We accidentally packed ours in our checked bag by mistake and it of course did not survive... it was unfortunately our only souvenir aside from the photos.

if anyone is willing to, please send me a DM, can send payment and shipping/handling costs. We are located in Chicago IL as well if anyone is traveling back from there

thanks

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 27, 2019 at 7:05 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: HH MP
Do you mean the RWVs? Now re-named GWVs (I must update the wiki with this.....)
Yes, an upgrade from a Beach Villa to the 2 bedroom Grand Water Villa for $1500 per night. Worth it?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
Wouldnt pay 1500 for an upgrade. Do you really need 2 bedrooms ? isnt it cheaper to book 2 standard rewards (beach or water villa) and then upgrade to e.g. 1 bedroom Grand water villa or any other room type.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: HH MP
Originally Posted by mb123
Wouldnt pay 1500 for an upgrade. Do you really need 2 bedrooms ? isnt it cheaper to book 2 standard rewards (beach or water villa) and then upgrade to e.g. 1 bedroom Grand water villa or any other room type.
That is a really good thought. Unfortunately, they do not have another standard rewards room available for the time period in question. The second room would be nice but not required. Yes, $1500 upgrade all-in per night is quite steep. Thanks for your advice.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IB *S, AA PLT
Originally Posted by travelisphun
That is a really good thought. Unfortunately, they do not have another standard rewards room available for the time period in question. The second room would be nice but not required. Yes, $1500 upgrade all-in per night is quite steep. Thanks for your advice.
They have in fact created 4 new categories GWV = renovated RWV, GWV with Pool = renovated RWV with pool instead jacuzzi and the same for family RWV now being renamed as 2 bedroom GWV with and without pool. The Spa room will we remodelled as a living room so lots of space now and no need of a two bedroom except someone really needs to sleep there.
They will argue room is renovated now and has a pool and its peak season and they are confident to sell the room at this price equivalent to customers etc. Usually they will ask $100 more for a GWV with pool vs with jacuzzi and even more for a 2 bedroom. The GWV is at the northern tip of the main island and further off than the spa so quite a distance to Atoll or Vilu.
$1500 is a relatively high number though and would not chose the upgrade from a standard reward room at this rate but this is of course subjective. I think the price for a GWV = 1 bedroom and jacuzzi instead of pool should be closer to the wiki, i.e. for sure less than a thousand
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:10 pm

Anyone else noticed that the Muraka is relatively cheap now? Sub 10k a night USD (++) and comes up as a normal room. I wonder if it's upgradeable to, now, then?!
I will ask when getting upgrade prices (would have considered the WA due to changes but locked in to CMRI as I'm going in a group).
Oddly, I only had afternoon tea about 3 times in the last few stays. As they say in The Castle, it's the vibe of the the thing.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
I am Diamond, and got invites to the Mangers Reception both Tuesdays I was on the Island, and was on an award stay. Never got an invitation to Afternoon Tea. Did get invites to Happy Hour. On a related note, they were dredging/pumping the upper 100's when I left. 128 and up. Not sure if they are completed, but the beach erosion got pretty bad and they were trying to rectify this in time for the Holiday season. I can say without a doubt the staff at Rangali are awesome. Except for the Rooms Manager, and one girl at the front desk (won't get into details here) I almost cried my last dinner at Sunset Grill, all those guys were top notch. Probably won't be back again for a bit, as my next holiday has Bali in the cards.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:45 pm

Thanks for the DP about erosion. What dates were you there?
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I've stayed at quite a few Conrad hotels - Singapore, London, Bangkok, Dubai, Hong Kong and Dublin. Every one has had some kind of afternoon tea on offer in the lounge.

Not sure if this page showed Afternoon Tea before, but it certainly doesn't list it now: https://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/.../maldives.html
dublin ?, didnt think they had a lounge at all.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
Thanks for the DP about erosion. What dates were you there?
Nov 8-20
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:33 am

Not sure if it was mentioned before but was offered honeymoon dinner at Vilu.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:28 am

Yes, it has. Thanks though. I will add that to the wiki.

Updated wiki with Honeymoon Dinner info and Retreat Water Villa category name change info etc.

FEI: Someone just asked if I had the Kids Menu. If anyone wants a copy (looks like it isn't on the resort's website), PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. It has prices included.

Does anyone know if there are a set of scales at the gym or anywhere else on the property?

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 27, 2019 at 7:05 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Does anyone know if there are a set of scales at the gym or anywhere else on the property?
The gym had a scale when we were there August 2018.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
No problem to request a scale from housekeeping for your room or if you want to check your weight after dinner, use the baggage scale at the seaplane dock.

Last edited by tom-schmitt; Nov 25, 2019 at 11:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.