Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Hi there elpee1979.

Arriving Sunday and departing Saturday is only 6 nights. If you are departing Saturday on a late flight you'll be out of luck I'm afraid as the last flight will be before the restaurants open for dinner. So, here we are;

Sunday: Rangali Bar (or Ufaa if you aren't keen on something simple at Rangali Bar)
Monday: Ithaa (or Maldivian Infinity Dinner if you change your mind and want something almost as private)
Tuesday: Mandhoo
Wednesday: Fisherman's BBQ (or Atoll Market if this is cancelled due to the weather. You could even do a Cheese Fondue at The Cheese & Wine Bar if the beach BBQ is cancelled but you'd have to ask them in advance if that would be possible)
Thursday: Vilu
Friday: Sunset Grill
Thanks!! Oh my bad. It is 7 nights, so I see that I am leaving Sunday. Almost short changed myself! I’m guessing sunset grill Saturday then? Thoughts on the wine cellar?
Old May 31, 2019, 1:30 pm

Yeah, you could do The Wine Cellar dinner on Friday (since it's one of the advertised days) and Sunset Grill Saturday.
The only problem with that (because you do not want to miss out on Sunset Grill if you go to Rangali) is you couldn't keep the option to do the Champagne & Lobster beach dinner open on Saturday if the Fisherman's BBQ is cancelled on the Wednesday. Tough decisions, huh!
Old May 31, 2019, 4:41 pm

Yeah, no idea but there are definitely fish around it. You don't need coral for fish though, and the pylons and OWBs themselves generally provide some base for fish to appear in.

Also, on dinnners- make sure you have a backup for the wine cellar. In 3 stays and 6 bookings for it I've never once had it go ahead
Old May 31, 2019, 7:17 pm

Yeah, I should've mentioned the schools of those really tiny fish which are often seen round the shores. They are everywhere.

Shame to hear that about the dinner. Always cancelled due to insufficient number of guests? Cheese & Tapas as a backup, then?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by Cynicor
...Also, on dinnners- make sure you have a backup for the wine cellar. In 3 stays and 6 bookings for it I've never once had it go ahead
I am 6 for 6 in 4 stays for the wine cellar but I have always visited in February. I understand though that there are many cancellations during other times of the year.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
@MF - why do you say this about Sunset (keeping it to the end)?

Friday: Sunset Grill (I always put this at the end. You'll know why once you get there).
> Tip: Get there early for the sunset and and grab the closest table to the shore facing the sunset / Rangali Island
i ask because I loved sunset grill and would want to go a few times

Do you have a dining plan for your 30 night stay or are you just gonna go with the flow?

I’m currently toying with Ithaa for lunch or dinner. Has anybody brought their kids to Ithaa? Is the eating free for under 6s for Ithaa too? Just not sure about the menu - she might not like anything there (if it’s like the main menu). So maybe bringing her to the cocktail hour might be better just so she can experience Ithaa or are kids not allowed down then?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:07 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by pineapple_09

I’m currently toying with Ithaa for lunch or dinner. Has anybody brought their kids to Ithaa? Is the eating free for under 6s for Ithaa too? Just not sure about the menu - she might not like anything there (if it’s like the main menu). So maybe bringing her to the cocktail hour might be better just so she can experience Ithaa or are kids not allowed down then?
kids are allowed at cocktail hour

Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:14 am

Do you have a dining plan for your 30 night stay or are you just gonna go with the flow?

Children at least used to be allowed at lunch but not dinner. We took our daughter to lunch when she was 8 and she really enjoyed it - more so the marine life swimming by but the food was fine - she was able to find something reasonable for an 8 year old (I realize there is a vast range of palates at 8 years... our daughter's was middle of the road - neither bland nor over the top sophisticated). She did bring sunglasses and would have been unhappy without them ( probably goes for adults too on a sunny day!)
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:43 am
jtz

Finally booked Rangali 22nd August for 5 nights leaving 27th! Booked OW villa on points and looking at wiki we will probably be asking for sunset villas with shallow water around as we are not swimmers and hoping to snorkel just close by. Am I right that I should be asking for villas 315-330?

I would love to try out the newly redecorated BV for the first 2 or 3 nights, just for convenience, the pool, being able to just walk directly to the beach easily. Any recommendations?

Will be planning all my nights for dinner now!
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:45 pm

Let's say it is, for us at least, the perfect end to a trip to the Maldives. Mandhoo doesn't have the sunset (and is closed one day of the week, but hey, so is Sunset Grill now :-( ) and you know how it goes.....sunsets end perfect stories. I suppose that's why they do it in the movies.
After all those hours of preparing for our first Rangali visit I decided to put SG on the last night and have done so ever since, so regular in fact that they now remember SG is on our last night and have our favourite table ready with "See you soon!" written in dyed rice. I'm sure we're not the only ones. So yeah, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Good question. SG, Vilu & Mandhoo all once a week I guess (not gonna bother with pre-bookings I don't think). Except for that, mostly going to go with the flow with a few special requests (some recipes that we're keen on trying) and a couple of booked private beach dinners thrown in for good measure. I figure the nights where we can't get a table for wherever we want to dine, we ask the Atoll Market chef to do one of the recipes we will be taking. Oh, and yeah, SG on the last night. Or did I mention that already?

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Jun 2, 2019 at 2:17 pm
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by jtz
Finally booked Rangali 22nd August for 5 nights leaving 27th! Booked OW villa on points and looking at wiki we will probably be asking for sunset villas with shallow water around as we are not swimmers and hoping to snorkel just close by. Am I right that I should be asking for villas 315-330?
Yup.

Originally Posted by jtz
I would love to try out the newly redecorated BV for the first 2 or 3 nights, just for convenience, the pool, being able to just walk directly to the beach easily. Any recommendations?
You mean the proximity to the main pool, right? And there are some posts in the wiki about BV selection too.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
I think that poster meant the renovated DBV for the private pool ... at least that’s how I interpreted it.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:53 pm

Yeah pineapple, you're probably right.

Originally Posted by Cynicor
Also, on dinnners- make sure you have a backup for the wine cellar. In 3 stays and 6 bookings for it I've never once had it go ahead
Which months were they?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, QR Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Hello everyone - its been really useful reading up on all of your posts and all the tips. Special thanks to @MaldivesFreak of course. On our way at the moment transiting via Colombo - we’re booked for 5 nights starting today 2nd June, curious to see if anyone other members on here will be around. We’re booked into a WV and hopefully looking forward to an SWV... very eager to see this property obviously.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:35 pm

Man, I can't believe no one gets wine cellar cancelled on them except for me
I even had 4 people book, only needed 2 more!

On the plus, had Ithaa to myself for dinner twice, and randomly inbetween fully booked weeks/nights every other night. Staff couldn't believe it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.