Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Rangali bar and the Quiet Zone bar are both close to pools and beaches (as are most food outlets here).
Old May 29, 2019, 11:09 am

You can stop your post about.....
Originally Posted by evergrn
Sorry... now that I've got the WV vs BV dilemma sorted out, I'm now faced with SWV vs WV. The upgrade offer I've been given is pretty fair... ~$65 per night to go from WV to SWV.
.....here!

It's a steal and a no-brainer.
And BTW, the SWV is larger. Don't believe the website. Go check out my WV vs SWV linked in my sig. The WVs have a narrower view too, so they are not better in that respect - just pay attention to the first 2 SWVs because the view is partially blocked by the OWS. As for the glass floor: the 2 degree viewing angle is great for the first 5 minutes, then it becomes a gimmick because you just go out into the water to see the real ocean!
Old May 29, 2019, 11:43 am

I often opt for SWV. If it's raining or overcast I'm still apt to hop in jacuzzi/spa outdoors when I'm not apt to hop in plunge pool. I will say that the deck of the WV always seems more spacious than deck of SWV that tends to feel tight. Also every once in a while you willl see a photo of what supposedly is a SWV and in fact it is a Deluxe water villa - and that does have a bit more deck room that SWV. However, I would not suggest DWV with 8 and 10 year olds trying to get in water from villa ... because of current.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
It's a steal and a no-brainer.
And BTW, the SWV is larger. Don't believe the website. Go check out my WV vs SWV linked in my sig. The WVs have a narrower view too, so they are not better in that respect - just pay attention to the first 2 SWVs because the view is partially blocked by the OWS. As for the glass floor: the 2 degree viewing angle is great for the first 5 minutes, then it becomes a gimmick because you just go out into the water to see the real ocean!
Okay you've got me convinced on this one, too!
It seems to me that I should request SWV 335-342.
I looked at your links, and it states: "• As for which SWV in particular is best for kids and beginner swimmers paddling and swimming safely and unobstructed around the villas, see this post"
However, "this post" appears to be a broken link.
Would you mind shedding light on the current/safety situation around SWV's? Or are all SWV's (including 342) relatively safe to swim/snorkel around, even for 8 and 10yo kids (who are decent swimmers btw)?

I really appreciate your vast knowledge and contribution btw.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by llfoster
However, I would not suggest DWV with 8 and 10 year olds trying to get in water from villa ... because of current.
Thanks! Will not do DWV then.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:28 pm

Thanks! Will not do DWV then.
DWV deck is nothing to write home about. I expected a bigger deck and was surprised when I showed to see the deck is rather small. I wouldn't ever consider spending the upgrade to a DWV again, and would likely go with the SWV if I were to return. The resort really needs to blow up their water villas and start over. The Conrad Bora Bora has much nicer villas compared to the Conrad Maldives.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:11 pm

Okay you've got me convinced on this one, too!
It seems to me that I should request SWV 335-342.
I looked at your links, and it states: "• As for which SWV in particular is best for kids and beginner swimmers paddling and swimming safely and unobstructed around the villas, see this post"
However, "this post" appears to be a broken link.
Would you mind shedding light on the current/safety situation around SWV's? Or are all SWV's (including 342) relatively safe to swim/snorkel around, even for 8 and 10yo kids (who are decent swimmers btw)?

I really appreciate your vast knowledge and contribution btw.
Thanks for heads up about that dead link. I've reported it so maybe it will get fixed. In the meantime I can answer your question.
Take a look at the Google Map here: https://www.google.com/maps/@3.61857.../data=!3m1!1e3 (link from wiki), zoom in a bit until you get to maximum resolution like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@3.61553.../data=!3m1!1e3 and so you have all 12 SWVs in view. As you can see, the 4 in the middle (335 through 338) have quite a lot of dark patches outside and very close to the villas. That's dead coral and hard to navigate, especially for kids. 338 is OK (we've stayed in that one) and as for others, you'd want to ask for the southernmost group of 4 (339 through 342) or the last 2 of the northernmost group (333 & 334) just so you don't get any obstruction in the view due to the OWS.
You might also want to take a look at my Water Depth Around Over Water Villas post for info on water depth.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:09 pm

I am officially within 90 days of arriving at Rangali with my flotilla I’m making a plan for dining so I can make reservations for table of two. Suggestions for 7 nights arriving Sunday and departing Saturday?

My 40th bday is Monday. Not all that amused by Ithaa given the price, but I plan to spare no expense otherwise. Flight in is the night before. Flight out is 10pm.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks for heads up about that dead link. I've reported it so maybe it will get fixed. In the meantime I can answer your question.
Take a look at the Google Map here: https://www.google.com/maps/@3.61857.../data=!3m1!1e3 (link from wiki), zoom in a bit until you get to maximum resolution like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@3.61553.../data=!3m1!1e3 and so you have all 12 SWVs in view. As you can see, the 4 in the middle (335 through 338) have quite a lot of dark patches outside and very close to the villas. That's dead coral and hard to navigate, especially for kids. 338 is OK (we've stayed in that one) and as for others, you'd want to ask for the southernmost group of 4 (339 through 342) or the last 2 of the northernmost group (333 & 334) just so you don't get any obstruction in the view due to the OWS.
You might also want to take a look at my Water Depth Around Over Water Villas post for info on water depth.
To avoid the chance of getting dead corals outside 335 to 338 from a SWV upgrade, it would be better to just stay in WV and be able to snorkel right from the steps?
Old May 30, 2019, 10:02 pm

thank you so much!
so helpful!
Old May 30, 2019, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by mrflintstone
To avoid the chance of getting dead corals outside 335 to 338 from a SWV upgrade, it would be better to just stay in WV and be able to snorkel right from the steps?
i am doing the paid upgrade from WV to make sure we don’t end up on the sunrise side.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by mrflintstone
No. On the sunrise side there's nothing to see. Completely devoid of all coral (dead or otherwise - both attract marine life) so you might see one fish in an hour if you're lucky.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:49 pm

As of last month 303 et al had plenty of fish, but not compared to the house reef.
lots of fish of many sizes, esp tiny tropical fish under the villas, rays and lion fish too.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by elpee1979
I am officially within 90 days of arriving at Rangali with my flotilla I’m making a plan for dining so I can make reservations for table of two. Suggestions for 7 nights arriving Sunday and departing Saturday?

My 40th bday is Monday. Not all that amused by Ithaa given the price, but I plan to spare no expense otherwise. Flight in is the night before. Flight out is 10pm.
Hi there elpee1979.

Arriving Sunday and departing Saturday is only 6 nights. If you are departing Saturday on a late flight you'll be out of luck I'm afraid as the last flight will be before the restaurants open for dinner. So, here we are;

Sunday: Rangali Bar (or Ufaa if you aren't keen on something simple at Rangali Bar)
Monday: Ithaa (or Maldivian Infinity Dinner if you change your mind and want something almost as private)
Tuesday: Mandhoo
Wednesday: Fisherman's BBQ (or Atoll Market if this is cancelled due to the weather. You could even do a Cheese Fondue at The Cheese & Wine Bar if the beach BBQ is cancelled but you'd have to ask them in advance if that would be possible)
Thursday: Vilu
Friday: Sunset Grill
Old May 31, 2019, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Cynicor
As of last month 303 et al had plenty of fish, but not compared to the house reef.
lots of fish of many sizes, esp tiny tropical fish under the villas, rays and lion fish too.
You must've won the lottery, LOL. Either that or they've put coral outside the villas because folks were complaining about the lack of marine life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.