Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
we have been to HWV twice in the last 18 months and will be returning for new years week this year, if this place is on a stready decline i would have loved to see if 10 years ago, we have always loved staying here, however we have always gone in may when it is not crowded, i gues we will see this december how it is with crowds.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by deant
Agree that HWV has gone down hill in the last few years. They have cut back on the number of boats and "trains" that transport people from one tower to another. The landscaping also seems to be less pristine than it was years ago.

That being said, it is still a great place to stay and relax in Hawaii.
It's been going downhill since like 2008, or whenever they closed the lounge...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Delta, UAL
I'm just newly HH Gold.

I booked this resort for a 3 ni stay preceeding Christmas, using HH points I booked a King Partial Oceanview Room.

I was given a "complimentary" standby upgrade to a King Partial Ocean View Room in the Lagoon tower. When I click on th e-Standby upgrades, this is the default request at $0. I'm assuming this is the result of my Gold status and I would get this room if available at check-in.

I was also given several upgrade options at a discounted price. For example, Ocean View or Dolphin View in the Lagoon Tower for $20/ni.

My question is, do I really have to do the standby and pay $20/ni for the Ocean View or Dolphin View in the Lagoon Tower (or other similar upgrades, excluding suites because I'm not expecting a suite), or will I get this room if available at check-in. Obviously, I don't want to commit to paying the $20/ni if it is an upgrade I can get at check-in for free. Or does signing up for the $20/ni e-Standby upgrade get me some type of priority over those that are not paying for this type of room? If that is the case, I'm cool with the charge. I'm just wondering if I would otherwise have been able to get the room at check-in, will they still charge me for it because I've selected the option and committed to pay for it.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Sota327; Nov 30, 2012 at 12:17 pm
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnredfox
It's been going downhill since like 2008, or whenever they closed the lounge...
Relatively speaking i don't think HWV declined noticably. They renovated the rooms (which seems like a continuous neverending priocess that moved from tower to tower), lagoon and open space look less manicured than before but still well attended. Decorations are in decent shape given the volume of guests.

On all our stays we had upgrades to some sort of near-ocean room or on a couple occasions a suite. Spa access is i believe still a dia benefit.

Lounge in several reincarnations in my recollection of about 6 yrs of going there was never exclusive with people swiping trays of pastries into plastic bags and walking out.

The place offers more and is definitely a much better value than HHV or most other hilton resort properties. That being said we recently found the nearby Fairmont to be a better (and much smaller) property for nearly the same price. Recent scams from Hilton corporate made me very reluctant to spend $ at Hiltons even though i still like HWV.

Last edited by azepine00; Nov 30, 2012 at 12:34 pm
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by azepine00
Lounge in several reincarnations in my recollection of about 6 yrs of going there was never exclusive with people swiping trays of pastries into plastic bags and walking out.
Now that's just bad, and sadly I can imagine it too.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
I remember when it was a Hyatt (I know I am showing my age!). Not that the hotel isn't good now, it is. It was just much better many years ago when they ran more trams and boats. Also, the overall grounds used to be kept up better.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by Sota327
I'm just newly HH Gold.

I booked this resort for a 3 ni stay preceeding Christmas, using HH points I booked a King Partial Oceanview Room.

I was given a "complimentary" standby upgrade to a King Partial Ocean View Room in the Lagoon tower. When I click on th e-Standby upgrades, this is the default request at $0. I'm assuming this is the result of my Gold status and I would get this room if available at check-in.

I was also given several upgrade options at a discounted price. For example, Ocean View or Dolphin View in the Lagoon Tower for $20/ni.

My question is, do I really have to do the standby and pay $20/ni for the Ocean View or Dolphin View in the Lagoon Tower (or other similar upgrades, excluding suites because I'm not expecting a suite), or will I get this room if available at check-in. Obviously, I don't want to commit to paying the $20/ni if it is an upgrade I can get at check-in for free. Or does signing up for the $20/ni e-Standby upgrade get me some type of priority over those that are not paying for this type of room? If that is the case, I'm cool with the charge. I'm just wondering if I would otherwise have been able to get the room at check-in, will they still charge me for it because I've selected the option and committed to pay for it.

Thanks for any advice.
Ok I just completed a 6 night stay at this property and its gorgeous. Ok this is what happened to my e-standby request @ $0. A day before my trip, the hotel took off another 50K points from my account stating that its $0 but it requires points to be confirmed. I asked the hotel to refund the points as I do not need an e-standby. At the hotel front desk, I asked for a free upgrade and was offered Deluxe Lagoon and Ocean view. Go that route... much better..
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: Delta - DM/ 2MM, HHonors - DM, Marriott - PM, AVIS - CM
Originally Posted by particlemn
I was checking my up coming reservation here and now there is listed a daily $25 resort fee that was not there at time of booking, it says you get interenet access included in the resort fee. i already get that as gold, just a littke disappointed
I just returned yesterday after a wonderful 6 nite stay. I was waived the resort fee due to my diamond status so don't know who else will get it. Found it strange that it was for free internet, dvd's, cultural events and other useless trivia (I'm trying to think who would go there to watch a dvd???).

We really enjoyed our stay and found no crowds whatsoever. The volcanoes were fairly active. Gas was only 40 cents higher than my state (in addition to off resort restaurant prices). Got upgraded to a large suite in the Palace tower but turned it down to an ocean front in the Ocean Tower. After 3 previous visits here we found 4 restaurants we never tried before that were all outstanding and had entrees under $20. Saw some of the best Hawaiian entertainment ever at the Mahalo lounge.

And so, all is well at the HWV, go enjoy it.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:09 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by particlemn
I was checking my up coming reservation here and now there is listed a daily $25 resort fee that was not there at time of booking, it says you get interenet access included in the resort fee. i already get that as gold, just a littke disappointed
Shortly after the resort charge started, I booked a premium room award stay for next year. The HHonors site at the time, and even now, states that premium room award reservations are not subject to the resort charge. However, the reservation itself does not state this anywhere. In fact, the reservation contains language about the resort charge being extra. In addition, all the room type labels on the HHonors site have been updated to show "PLUS 25USD RSRT CHRG" as has the room type label in my reservation (this was not present when I booked the room). So the language on the site and in the reservation confirmations are clearly inconsistent. I've taken a screen shot of the language that states premium room awards are not subject to the resort charge and will be bringing it with me on my trip. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has booked a premium room award at HWV since the resort charge started and has completed their stay.....was the charge waived as stated on the HHonors site?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by MileKing
Shortly after the resort charge started, I booked a premium room award stay for next year. The HHonors site at the time, and even now, states that premium room award reservations are not subject to the resort charge. However, the reservation itself does not state this anywhere. In fact, the reservation contains language about the resort charge being extra. In addition, all the room type labels on the HHonors site have been updated to show "PLUS 25USD RSRT CHRG" as has the room type label in my reservation (this was not present when I booked the room). So the language on the site and in the reservation confirmations are clearly inconsistent. I've taken a screen shot of the language that states premium room awards are not subject to the resort charge and will be bringing it with me on my trip. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has booked a premium room award at HWV since the resort charge started and has completed their stay.....was the charge waived as stated on the HHonors site?
I had a similar situation, although my stay starts later this week. When I booked the premium reward, the rate disclsoure stated that the reservation was NOT subject to the $25 daily resort fee. My e-mail confirmation received upon booking, however, advised of the fee. I ignored it because I printed the rate confirmation sheet at the time of booking and intended to use this to dispute any charges. But, more recently when I checked my reservations through the Hilton Hhonors website, the "room type" description changed from "PARTIAL OCEAN VIEW-1KING" to "PARTIAL OCEAN VIEW-1KING-PLUS 25USD RSRT CHRG." This got my attention! And, I noticed too that in trying to book the same room for the same dates with points now (versus one month ago), it also says PLUS 25USD RSRT CHRG. So, I called and asked why the change. I was told not to worry because all reservations booked with points are NOT subject to the fee. After the phone call, I received another confirmation of the reservation, which now states under the Comments and Requests section: "resort charge does not apply." I'm assuming this is in response to my call.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:56 am

I'm just newly HH Gold.

Thanks for any advice.
Just to close out my own inquiry, it is now 3 days before I'm scheduled to arrive at the Hilton Waikoloa and this morning I noticed in my HH account online that my room type has already been upgraded to the Lagoon Tower - Dolphin View Room. Based on points/rate for this room, it appears to be the highest possible upgrade, with the exception of a suite. I did NOT select any other eStandby requests, other than the complimentary one for the Partial Ocean View King - Lagoon Tower. If anyone has experience with the Dolphin View rooms , pro or con, I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just to close out my own inquiry, it is now 3 days before I'm scheduled to arrive at the Hilton Waikoloa and this morning I noticed in my HH account online that my room type has already been upgraded to the Lagoon Tower - Dolphin View Room. Based on points/rate for this room, it appears to be the highest possible upgrade, with the exception of a suite. I did NOT select any other eStandby requests, other than the complimentary one for the Partial Ocean View King - Lagoon Tower. If anyone has experience with the Dolphin View rooms , pro or con, I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks.
The Lagoon Tower has the renovated rooms - for now, this is considered their upgrade category until the other towers are fixed up. If you want to be close to the dolphins, ask for a room on the 1st floor (tile floors, no carpet) and you can walk right outside to the dolphin pool. Slightly higher floors will retain a dolphin view but add a partial ocean or bay view and carpeting in the room.

The Lagoon Tower rooms are very nice - the renovation was well designed.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Arrow Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Just got back from an award stay over new years, i was told by the front desk that there is no resort fee on any award stay, but there is on all paid stays reguardless of HH status. Parking has gone upto 17 per day. as part of the resort fee(you get even if you are aon award stay and not paying) is a card for DVD and PS3 rental automatic kiosk, that allows movie and game check out during your stay. there is also a PS3 in each room. we did not use this service since our 5 year old would rather go down the water slide and play in the sand than sit in the room, but i did often hear some older kids at the pool asking their parents if they could go back to the room to play games.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
This hotel has 0 paid or points availability March 9 - 14. Does this happen often? Maybe a meeting group has overtaken the whole place?

Also if you book a points + money award, do you have to pay the resort fee? If I do a fake booking, it doesn't bring up a resort fee.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
I'm heading to the Waikoloa with the family in late February. We booked a lagoon tower room through Costco travel, but added my Gold number to the reservation too. Are upgrades to one bedroom suites ever offered to Gold? Are there any other perks for Gold other than the meal vouchers referenced earlier in this thread?

Thanks in advance. I only recently became Gold and am not really sure what I'm eligible to receive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.