Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors such as broken links, for example to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Old Apr 26, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I watched the season final Duck Dynasty, they stayed here. If anyone noticed they made it seem as if you got to the hotel on the water taxi. They were all getting off the boat with their luggage then going to the desk to check in. I suppose it made it seem a bit more glamorous.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:06 pm

Looking for standard award - only option is ACCESS ROLL IN SHWR 1KING?

Hi,

Just tried booking an AXON for July, and it looks like the only room type that is available at the standard award rate (50k per night) is ACCESS ROLL IN SHWR 1KING.

This seemed odd to me and I figured it might be a result of it being a busy time of year, so I started looking around at other random dates in the fall, and it seems like every time I search, the accessible resort-view rooms are the only ones available at the standard rate.

Does anyone know if this is a new policy or something? It seems kind of odd, and I'm pretty sure I'd prefer to be in a more standard room rather than an accessible one.

Any ideas what's going on here?
Old May 28, 2013, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by dublin487
Hi,

Just tried booking an AXON for July, and it looks like the only room type that is available at the standard award rate (50k per night) is ACCESS ROLL IN SHWR 1KING.

This seemed odd to me and I figured it might be a result of it being a busy time of year, so I started looking around at other random dates in the fall, and it seems like every time I search, the accessible resort-view rooms are the only ones available at the standard rate.

Does anyone know if this is a new policy or something? It seems kind of odd, and I'm pretty sure I'd prefer to be in a more standard room rather than an accessible one.

Any ideas what's going on here?
Just checked for the time that I'll be there and resort view doubles and kings are available at the standard point rate. It looks like the points required for premium room award have doubled at a minimum and are up to 5x higher than they were when I booked. I booked an Oceanview 1 Bdrm King suite for 77K and change a night. Now its going for 184,440 a night.

Even more dramatic, the presidential suite was 94K a night, and is now 466K a night.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by gblakeb
Just checked for the time that I'll be there and resort view doubles and kings are available at the standard point rate. It looks like the points required for premium room award have doubled at a minimum and are up to 5x higher than they were when I booked. I booked an Oceanview 1 Bdrm King suite for 77K and change a night. Now its going for 184,440 a night.

Even more dramatic, the presidential suite was 94K a night, and is now 466K a night.
If you don't mind me asking, what dates were you looking at? I just did some more searching of various dates between now and April 2014 (arbitrarily) and still can't find a single room at the standard 50k rate other than the RESORT VW-MOBILITY ACCESS ROLL IN SHWR-1KING (for some dates there are 'Premium' awards available for much fewer points than 50k, but that's another topic entirely).

When I search on my dates, there are certainly plenty of normal rooms of various types available for cash, and several of them are in fact less expensive than the cash price for the mobility access room, so I would hope I could manage to get into one of those...
Old May 28, 2013, 12:53 pm

If you don't mind me asking, what dates were you looking at? I just did some more searching of various dates between now and April 2014 (arbitrarily) and still can't find a single room at the standard 50k rate other than the RESORT VW-MOBILITY ACCESS ROLL IN SHWR-1KING (for some dates there are 'Premium' awards available for much fewer points than 50k, but that's another topic entirely).

When I search on my dates, there are certainly plenty of normal rooms of various types available for cash, and several of them are in fact less expensive than the cash price for the mobility access room, so I would hope I could manage to get into one of those...
July 6-10
Old May 28, 2013, 1:00 pm

July 6-10
Thanks - strange - when I search those dates I do see non-accessible rooms at 50k for two of the days, but not the other two.

In any case, anyone have any thoughts on whether I can get moved to a conventional room (even one that costs less in cash than the accessible one I can currently book)? Would status make a difference here?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Thanks - strange - when I search those dates I do see non-accessible rooms at 50k for two of the days, but not the other two.

In any case, anyone have any thoughts on whether I can get moved to a conventional room (even one that costs less in cash than the accessible one I can currently book)? Would status make a difference here?
FWIW - When I stayed there four years ago the only room available on points had two beds, I made the reservation online called Hilton and they switched it to a king.

I would be very suprised if you couldn't be moved to a non-accessible room, either by making the reservation and calling Hilton or dealing with the hotel itself on the phone or at check in.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
FWIW - When I stayed there four years ago the only room available on points had two beds, I made the reservation online called Hilton and they switched it to a king.

I would be very suprised if you couldn't be moved to a non-accessible room, either by making the reservation and calling Hilton or dealing with the hotel itself on the phone or at check in.
Thanks, yeah - checked availability again a couple days ago and standard king rooms had opened up, so I was able to call up and (after a bit of maneuvering) have them switch it. Good to know they're generally able to work this stuff out for the guest.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL

Ouch! I've got a week in the Presidential Suite in October at 72k points a night, booked shortly after the whole devaluation nonsense, so it's not down to that...
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:03 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by diver858
Resort fee was waived, primary bennie is free access to the redbox-live DVD dispenser - not something we had much use for on vacation. I believe it also includes free internet (already free for Diamond) and phone calls. Self parking is $17 per day, we ended up paying $22 for valet - WELL WORTH IT.
Is the waiving of the Resort Fee a standard Diamond perk, or something negotiated as a one-off? I just emailed the hotel to see if we could get parking rolled into the Resort Fee since we really get no benefit. Waiving it and charging for parking would pretty much work out to the same thing.

In the end, we'll probably be staying on Airline miles instead of HHonors points, but Hilton are very good about extending perks in these cases.

Cheers.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Hilton Gold, Lindy Award Winner (2013)
Originally Posted by brp
Is the waiving of the Resort Fee a standard Diamond perk, or something negotiated as a one-off? I just emailed the hotel to see if we could get parking rolled into the Resort Fee since we really get no benefit. Waiving it and charging for parking would pretty much work out to the same thing.

In the end, we'll probably be staying on Airline miles instead of HHonors points, but Hilton are very good about extending perks in these cases.

Cheers.
Brp,

Did you perform a search for "resort fees"? If so, you would have found multiple threads and posts discussing this topic.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:06 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TR7_DFW
Brp,

Did you perform a search for "resort fees"? If so, you would have found multiple threads and posts discussing this topic.
Actually, I didn't. I did a search for "Waikoloa" and then did a within-thread search for "Resort Fees" in this thread figuring that the answer was likely resort-specific as I've found many things Hilton to be specific to the individual location. Of the relevant posts in this thread, I found the one I quoted to use as a jumping-off point.

If it's believed to be a Hilton-universal policy, I can certainly do as you suggest.

So, I did the search and found 4 threads total (title search), and one was relatively current

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...sort-fees.html

The implication here is that, in general, it is not waived, however at least one result at this location indicates that it was waived. So, it seems that there are location-specific differences....hence the question remains

While it didn't provide relevant results, I appreciate the suggestion and pointer.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Jun 20, 2013 at 12:13 pm
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Best strategy is to ask for it and negotiate. Most properties do not waive "resort fees" for Diamonds.

You might look at the other properties - DoubeTree Aalana is within two blcoks of HWV and often upgrades Diamonds to some very nice quarters; Embassy Suites Wikiki Beach Walk (a block from Waikiki and has its own extensive thread about pros and cons, rooms to avoid, etc.) are great alternatives unless you prefer dealing with small screaming human beings at all hours and lots of crowds, nickel-and-dime everything. ES also has "resort fees", Alana does not unless things have changed a lot.

Originally Posted by brp
Actually, I didn't. I did a search for "Waikoloa" and then did a within-thread search for "Resort Fees" in this thread figuring that the answer was likely resort-specific as I've found many things Hilton to be specific to the individual location. Of the relevant posts in this thread, I found the one I quoted to use as a jumping-off point.

If it's believed to be a Hilton-universal policy, I can certainly do as you suggest.

So, I did the search and found 4 threads total (title search), and one was relatively current

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...sort-fees.html

The implication here is that, in general, it is not waived, however at least one result at this location indicates that it was waived. So, it seems that there are location-specific differences....hence the question remains

While it didn't provide relevant results, I appreciate the suggestion and pointer.

Cheers.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:30 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Best strategy is to ask for it and negotiate. Most properties do not waive "resort fees" for Diamonds.
Thanks JDiver. I had a feeling that this might be a case-by-case situation

Cheers.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
You might look at the other properties - DoubeTree Aalana is within two blcoks of HWV and often upgrades Diamonds to some very nice quarters; Embassy Suites Wikiki Beach Walk (a block from Waikiki and has its own extensive thread about pros and cons, rooms to avoid, etc.) are great alternatives unless you prefer dealing with small screaming human beings at all hours and lots of crowds, nickel-and-dime everything. ES also has "resort fees", Alana does not unless things have changed a lot.
You are on the wrong island...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.