Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Old Dec 28, 2002, 9:39 am

FFSaver, It's my understanding that the ALON is for Hawaii & the TEEN is for golf properties (inc. Hawaii). Check out:

www.hilton.com/en/hhonors/rewards/vip.jhtml
Old Dec 30, 2002, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Thanks Bruceman for a great trip report. Sounds like you had a good time. We will be going there in mid February.

I do have two questions.

If we were to walk to the Outrigger beach, would it be better to stay at the Lagoon Tower or the Palace Tower? Or is it too far to walk?

You had mentioned that the trip to the volcanoes was 105 miles one way. I had read another trip report that described it as a 3 hour drive one way. Is it really 3 hours each way? Ouch!

Old Dec 30, 2002, 9:27 pm
Suspended

I was also at the Hilton Waikoloa recently on an ALON stay. Like bruceman, we had a great time and wish we could have stayed longer.

Like bruceman, we went to the Waipi’o Valley one afternoon, but we thought it was one of the best hidden beaches on the island. You need a 4WD vehicle to descend the steep grade (there is a 2WD wreck at the bottom for anyone who is tempted otherwise). The black sand beach and the valley were beautiful and because of the access road, there was hardly anyone there. Definitely recommended.

Jeeves, the volcano is just about as far away from the Hilton as you can get and still be on the Big Island. But it is absolutely worth the trip. In fact, if I could do it again, I’d stay over on that end of the island for a night and spend two days at the volcano.
Old Dec 31, 2002, 1:30 pm

Jeeves: The towers at the HWV are in a semi circle as follows: Lagoon, Lobby, Palace, Ocean. I believe the Lagoon is closer to the Lobby than the Palace, at least it seems that way on the tram. An advantage to the Lagoon is that the Spa is located in the Lagoon, if you have the kids, the waterslides (at least the largest one) are closer. The downside I've heard can sometimes be the noise generating from these if you need to take a snooze in the afternoon or even want to go to bed before midnight. Even while we stayed there, there were some compliants - on teenagers occupying the hot tubs late at night.

Outrigger is not far from the Hilton entrance, unsure exactly as I was in a car, not walking it, although saw lots of people doing it, so it must not be too bad. Can't give you any analysis on the beach, from afar it looked ok.

And yes, the volcanos are really that far - agree with Dream7. I went the northern route, passing Waipio, Hilo, then to the volcanos, and came back the same way. Good thing I did, as it was Thanksgiving, and were able to find a restaurant to eat in Hilo. Don't think I would have found anything until I reached Kona coming back the southern route. By then, would have a grumpy wife and upset daughter.

Also agree with Dream7, you definitely need a 4WD if going down that hill into the Waipio valley. I'm originally from the North, and that's a hill we would have loved when sledding, not too smart if I tried going down there in the compact I had. Maybe we would still be there...

If you are going to get a 4WD, Jeep, or convertible, nice vehicles, expensive at the rental agencies cause everyone wants them, and the gas.. currently going for $1.98/gal.

Any other questions, let me know..
Old Dec 31, 2002, 2:31 pm

The lagoon tower is much closer to the lobby than the palace tower. The convention center is between the lobby and palace tower.

From the lagoon tower the A-bay beach is a 10 minute walk. Make sure you have shoes though, the path is kinda rough and rocky.
Old Jan 1, 2003, 7:20 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dream7:
Jeeves, the volcano is just about as far away from the Hilton as you can get and still be on the Big Island. But it is absolutely worth the trip. In fact, if I could do it again, I’d stay over on that end of the island for a night and spend two days at the volcano. </font>
On our trip last July, we did that...actually tacked on 2 nights at a cottage in Volcano Village. We were really able to enjoy the Volcanoes National Park this way, rather than driving all that way for a quick peek.

If you pass through Hilo, look up a casual dining place called Cafe 100 and order a loco moco plate. After the prices in the Waikoloa area, you'll enjoy this one!
Old Jan 1, 2003, 2:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rdong002:
Thanks for the trip report. I, too, have reserved two rooms on an ALON award in February.

In anticipation of running into the same resistance regarding breakfast coupons or certificates for two rooms as opposed to one since it's their policy only to give the benefits to the actual member and their "roommates", I wonder if it would be effective to say that my wife is staying in one room and I'm staying in the other. Since I have a joint account, which has Gold status, could they still refuse me?

Could they apply this "members only policy" to the rooms and our request for an upgrade to the Executive Lounge floors of the Ocean Tower?
</font>
I stayed there in late Nov. (also redeeming ALON award for 2 rooms), had the same dilemma since I was told there was no space on the executive floor.

I wouldn't resort to concocting a story to get the coupons. My spouse has Gold status too, but rather than claim she and my nephews would sleep in one room and me and the kids in another (!), I just asked politely and the coupons materialized (actually, there was a miscommunication that resulted in our receiving twice as many as we required). We all enjoyed the breakfast in Palm Terrace and found the continental breakfast comprehensive enough that we never bothered ordering the full buffet. Great resort and island for a family vacation!

Old Jan 1, 2003, 7:26 pm

Hilton Waikoloa - Executive Lounge vs. No Longs Walks

We are planing a trip to the Hilton Waikoloa.

As Diamond members should we ask to be in the tower with the executlve lounge? I am told it is fartherst away. Is it worth missing the appetizers if we can get a closer room with a nicer view in one fo the other towers to elimate the 15 minute walk to the lobby and other activities?

It seems like the only reason people have the long walk is because of the executve lounge and adult pool.

Please don't refer us to TUG, already been there - Thanks.

[This message has been edited by PaulGQ (edited 01-01-2003).]
Old Jan 1, 2003, 7:45 pm

The other great feature of the ocean tower (where the longe is) is the adult only pool.
Old Jan 2, 2003, 7:38 am

If u r really into free food of so-so quality
then get the closer room. The other towers almost all of them have some better qualities other than just being near the food. The walk is nice in the evening or the boat or tram work also. Dont forsake some better views, closer other pools for a 15 minute snack once a day.
Old Jan 2, 2003, 7:50 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lsgitg:
If u r really into free food of so-so quality then get the closer room.</font>
So are you saying there is better food in the towers?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The other towers almost all of them have some better qualities other than just being near the food.</font>
The other towers? What is near the food, the executive lounge tower or lobby?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The walk is nice in the evening or the boat or tram work also.</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Dont forsake some better views, closer other pools for a 15 minute snack once a day.</font>

So are you saying don't stay in the executve tower and walk for a 15 minute snack? And what has the better views?

I appreciate your response, but I can't understand a word you are saying.

Old Jan 2, 2003, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We stayed in the Ocean Tower, near the Lounge, for our ALON stay in September. We walked a few miles every day during our trip to HWV, as the train and boat are rarely as efficient as walking.

I would stay there again. The breakfast and happy hour food are of acceptable (not great) quality. We got up early a lot of mornings, and it was nice to be able to grab some juice, fruit, and a croissant in about 5 minutes on our way out for the day. This was an especially nice perk for us: we aren't big enough breakfast eaters to actually pay and wait for it, but the lounge was a great way to start each day.

In a 6 night stay, we only made it back to HWV for the happy hour two or three times. Chicken wings, cheese/crackers, etc. Nothing spectacular, but not bad.

We also liked being able to drop in to the lounge to grab a coke or some water when we were going to/from our room.

Other than the lounge, I'd go back to the Ocean Tower for a couple of other reasons: (1) the ocean view was absolutely wonderful and (2) the pools on that end of the HWV are nicer and calmer than the ones at the other end.

The walks are pleasant - if you can get an Ocean Tower room, I wouldn't turn it down.
Old Jan 2, 2003, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta Diamond/3MM; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pinniped:
Other than the lounge, I'd go back to the Ocean Tower for a couple of other reasons: (1) the ocean view was absolutely wonderful and (2) the pools on that end of the HWV are nicer and calmer than the ones at the other end.</font>
We were at the Ocean Tower a week ago, and I concur with pinniped. The pools at the Ocean Tower seemed to have younger children and Camp Menehune is right there, as well. With 3, small children it was extremely handy to have the lounge on the same floor as our room, as we had to walk through it to get to/from our room (until they moved it to the 6th floor). Like pinniped, we only did appetizers 2 or 3 times, but did find ourselves frequently grabbing iced tea or sodas on our way back to/from the room. As far as breakfast goes, we ate at the Palm Terrace since fruit and starch for breakfast in the Executive Lounge was getting old.

We stayed at the Lagoon Tower for our last visit, which we also enjoyed - - ocean view, overlooking Dolphin Quest. We also had Executive Lounge access, but used it far less since it was on the other side of the compound.

On this trip, we were initially given rooms in the Palace Tower (ground level, facing a road) on their new, limited-service HHonors floor with the breakfast-only HHonors Lounge. I wasn't that upset about getting a more limited lounge, but the Palace Tower and rooms didn't sit well with me. IMHO, the Palace Tower isn't as close to a pool as the other towers and the thought of dragging 3 kids a greater distance each time we wanted to go swimming or run to the room for something was too much for me. Throw in the fact that there is no laundry room at the Palace Tower (10 days in HI with 3 kids and you're going to need to do some laundry), we had no view and sliding doors that opened up onto a street, and this Diamond member was a little disappointed, particularly after the great treatment on our last stay at Waikoloa. I asked the front desk if another room was available. The first lady was absolutely no help, telling me that the only other adjoining rooms they had were smoking rooms in the Ocean Tower with a Garden View. If I wanted to move, we would lose all HHonors privileges (breakfast, spa, etc.) since I was a "non-paying customer" using 2 ALON's. I blew a gasket. I asked for a manager, and spoke with Jennifer, who was able to find several alternatives for us.

There seems to be a new policy at Waikoloa (maybe just a trial balloon) of placing non-rev's in the Palace Tower with the limited HHonors Lounge. I’d be interested in the opinion of others on this topic. I have the Palace Tower HHonors card that lists the benefits for Gold and Diamond members, which I'll try to post one of these days when I get a chance. The only difference seems to be that Diamond members get a locker at the Kohala Spa.

Like other posters on this topic, each of the towers offers advantages and disadvantages. Without knowing your specific needs (or, frankly, what kind of flexibility they'll offer you when you get there) I'd try to sort through the posts and try to figure out what things are important to you and decide where you think you'd like to be. Just don't set your heart on any one solution, and ask for a manager at the Front Desk if you don't like what you hear.

I can't believe my post is this long.....
Old Jan 3, 2003, 10:43 am

Wow, that was a great last post.

Going there in Aug. so I would like some advice.

Here are my priorities:

01). Tower location with #1 Good breakfast/other food with access to Exec. lounge (I am lowly Gold only)

02). Tower location with the best pools for a 7 year old kid. I.E. water slides etc.

03). Tower location with Best pool (not square) for adults

04). Tower location with view of the Ocean

Is there a silver bullet that will have all of these??? What room number should I request???

I would like to know so I could request it before going in Aug.

Thank you.
Old Jan 3, 2003, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by luddgang:
Wow, that was a great last post.

Going there in Aug. so I would like some advice.

Here are my priorities:

01). Tower location with #1 Good breakfast/other food with access to Exec. lounge (I am lowly Gold only)

02). Tower location with the best pools for a 7 year old kid. I.E. water slides etc.

03). Tower location with Best pool (not square) for adults

04). Tower location with view of the Ocean

Is there a silver bullet that will have all of these??? What room number should I request???

I would like to know so I could request it before going in Aug.

Thank you.
</font>
Ocean Tower takes care of 1, 3, and 4 for sure. Also takes care of 2 - the Kohala Pool next to the Ocean Tower has slides and is plenty large enough to entertain both kids and adults - but the "best" kids pool is the Kona Pool by the Lagoon Tower. It's huge with bigger slides. I'd recommend staying in the O.T., but make sure to take the kid around the lagoon to see the dolphins and swim in the biggest pool he/she has ever seen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.