Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Where to start........

Of all the Resort Hotels I have stayed in this one qualify’s as the WORST ever.
From Check in to Check out nothing but disappointment and despair.
I seriously warn anyone who wants to visit the Big Island to avoid this place like the plague.
The Four Seasons makes the HWV look like a Days Inn or maybe a Red Roof Inn.
If I had not been visiting the Islands every year for the past 12 years I would never want to go back.

From Check In, person didn't offer me any information. It was like pulling teeth. I had to ask for everything. Breakfast location for Diamonds (she handed me a pamphlet for Gold), water coupons, etc. She told me I don’t have a Mini Bar key for you, they were planning on making some soon.
Maybe because I arrived at 10:30 PM?

Bell staff, great crew these folks are stars. They could teach other staff members a thing or two.

Housekeeping, once I finally got a DND sign it was better. She never really cleaned my room just changed the towels and sheets. Housekeeper never used a vacuum in the room once.

Room Service, wow these people stink. 90 minutes for a cheeseburger at 6 PM. 70 minutes for a fruit platter at 9 PM. Every time I called the wait time was ridiculous.
To top it all off you would think if you waited that long the food (and paid dearly I might add) would be good.
Sub Standard to say the least.

Restaurants, Japanese Excellent! Italian Great! Chinese Good, slowest service ever. A business lunch turned into a two hour event. When the food finally came the order was wrong.
The food is way overpriced but typical for a resort.

Never got a call from anyone to welcome me, asst. manager, and manager even a Front desk supervisor would have been nice.
No welcome gift.
The only call I got was from the Time Share people.

WARNING!! There are thieves working at the Hotel.

Had some boxes sent to a contact person at the hotel. While they were locked in a secure cage someone stole 23 shirts out of the box and destroyed the box in the process.
I did call security and file a police report.
Now let's talk about the $1000 in charges to my room, that's right ONE THOUSAND!!!!
Someone had a very good time. They didn't even spell my name correctly; you would think that the waiter would at least check that out.
Two of the charges occurred after I left the Hotel checked out and was on a plane back to the mainland.

Overall I would strongly warn people not to waste time or money here, I will never again.

There are nice features at the Hotel. It has a very good walking path. This property does have great pools, wonderful gardens and really interesting Art.

My opinion of this hotel is that the designers want you to think that this is how Hawaii is.
If you look at it from above you can tell it was kind of dropped into the lava field.
I also think a Team from Disney designed this place. The snorkeling lagoon is so fake.
Unfortunately Disney's designers and hospitality trainers left a long time ago.
The Spirit of Aloha is minimal here. I was only here for five days and couldn't wait to leave.
YMMV
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:47 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Sorry to hear of all your woes.

There are lots of us, though, who have had very different and very delightful experiences here. It does sound like you'll be happier going somewhere else that lives up to your standards and expectations.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:52 am

How do you really feel? ^
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
YMMV--so true. I had a wonderful two-week award stay there last February and am looking forward to going back.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by Tenacious
How do you really feel? ^
Like I need a shower after I left that place, yuck.
Just got a call that someone else in our party got a $4000 Camp Menehune charge The hotel staff told her it could have been for anything and not a specific item.

linsj, just imagine if you had to pay for the stay. Would you still feel the same?

Last edited by BDLORD; Jan 8, 2007 at 12:11 pm
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by DoubleJ

On a side note, while I did notice more than a few doors sporting the shell necklace in the Ocean Tower, in the Palace Tower (where I went to the Gold lounge for breakfast) I didn't see a single Do Not Disturb shell necklace or sign (except for a single handwritten one on a scrap a paper shoved onto a door handle). Does the Palace Tower have these or are the guests here at the mercy of housekeeping?
Yes, the shell necklaces are also in the Palace Tower. I still think that the
breakfast at the Palace Tower is a bit more convenient. It's just difficult to go in and out of the Ocean Tower one, with food in one hand, and trying to open a door with the other. The food choices are about the same.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:21 pm

Hilton Waikoloa Village 45 Day Cancellation Policy?????

I was looking to book a stay at the Waikoloa Village for September, and noticed that there is now a 45 day cancellation policy - seems to be there on ALL rates? When did that come into effect? I was there last year and 3 years ago, and both times it was a 3 day cancellation policy.

I called the number on my card and they said yes, its a new policy (thinking that my computer had a hiccup).

Anybody else see this?

Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA GOld, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thumbs down

Does appear to be so, from everything I checked. Scratch this hotel off my list. Even as Hilton Diamond with 50+nights a year, I would NEVER book a hotel with a cancellation policy like this. THey can KISS......
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:03 am

Programs: United 1K, Starwood Platinum
I will be arriving on 2/18, staying until 2/22. Any tips or advises would be greatly appreciated. Will post my experience.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:25 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by flydrha
I will be arriving on 2/18, staying until 2/22. Any tips or advises would be greatly appreciated. Will post my experience.
That's a lot of ground to cover. You might want to look at the sticky for the Hilton Family Hotel Master Thread first, and then ask any specific questions you might still have.

OK, here's the link directly to the Hawaii Hilton Family Hotels section of the above sticky:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4454979
Old Jan 10, 2007, 8:41 am

I called the hotel directly after the 800 number told me that they had no reason as to why.

The front desk at the hotel said that was an error, it is 3 days.

I checked now, and it is back to a 3 day cancellation policy.

:-)
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Whew! Thats a relief!

Thanks for checking with the hotel jml1124.^

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by flydrha
We will be there from 2/17-2/21
Old Jan 11, 2007, 8:04 am

And I'm there from the 21st to the 27th
Old Jan 11, 2007, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Don't expect much-- especially if you are on an award stay. We booked a 6day ALON at the HWV and were so profoundly disappointed that we stopped booking Hiltons at all and moved all of our point accumulation to Starwood. From the nasty mold in the bathroom to the room service trays left in the hallways for days to the utter indifference of the staff-- including the total lack of compensation when we had to lose a half day dealing with our rental car being several damaged in valet. The grounds are very pretty, but if you expect anything beyond Motel 6 type service, you won't be happy here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.