Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
This thread is for archived general discussion of Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom through 2012. For information and discussion on individual hotels, please refer to LINKS for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom

To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:
1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2002, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Well, searching the other threads will give you a lot of insights, but let's just stop this two queen bed thing right here - it's not likely to happen. On an award stay, there is no Hilton property that allows you to book for 3-4 people - I know, because I went through the list with the agent on the phone who couldn't believe it. Every property (in spring of 2001) had either one king or two twins.

If two twins isn't your mother's idea of fun, and you're a good son, you might try booking a property where you might get upgraded to a junior suite with a king (for her) and a sofa (for you).
Old Dec 26, 2002, 10:55 pm

Good idea about the junior suite. Actually there are too many threads regarding this. I'd like someone to just simply break it down, which is the nicest one.
Old Dec 26, 2002, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HILTON GREEN PARK

- Stay was 6 nights, Sep 2 - Sep 9, 2001

- I was marginally happy. My parents were very happy (they got my upgrade) because of the location and minimal expectations.

- I was a Gold on a 2-room double-GLON stay

- Regular rooms were pretty bad, very small for the price, no view. But my parents got my Gold upgrade to a Junior suite. It was quaint but very large, easily 3x my room. The elevator was a joke, about the size of a phone booth. No real amenities such as exercise rooms or anything like that. I felt like I was in a Comfort Inn.

- The location is excellent, just a few steps from the Green Park tube stop and a short walk to Picadilly Circus and Buckingham Palace. There is a mini-grocery nearby, take a left out of the front door and a right at the end of the block.

- "How is the exec. lounge?" What executive lounge? They claimed that our stay did not include breakfast, although as a Gold I could have breakfast in the dining room. I passed, since it was going to cost my parents 10 GBP a day each. We ate breakfast at Starbucks around the corner instead.

- Value for $ or points? I would not use points there. I'd book six months in advance for the Paddington instead. As a Diamond, if they had a sub-$100 single rate (which is for what looks like a 2* dorm room) and I was by myself, I'd book it and arrange an upgrade to a junior suite before arrival.

HILTON PADDINGTON

There were three of us total, two rooms for a pair of 3-night award stays, Dec 6-9 2002.

"Were you upgraded? To Exec. level or Suite?" Yes, but there was some confusion. We had asked the Diamond Desk in advance to confirm that there were Executive Floor rooms with two twin beds. When we got there, the King was upgraded to a King Deluxe (but not on the executive floor), and there were profuse apologies about the twin not being able to be upgraded as there were no twin deluxes left, just king deluxes and junior suites. I got a little perturbed and explained that we had asked about this in August when booking, and so we settled on a junior suite with a king and a cot (my friend and I would switch off). Ten minutes later, we ended up in a real suite with two twins (302/303), but 303 had no windows and had an office setup - it looked like it was used for interviewing.

Being a brand new hotel, the rooms were very modern. 302 was about the size of a standard US hotel room, but with a deluxe bathroom with a shower and a tub.

The location is great. Rumor has it that the neighborhood is a little problematic at night, but we were never in it - it was too easy to jump on the Tube and go someplace else. Three Tube lines made it very easy to get around, and the Heathrow Express beat the hour that I spent getting to the Green Park the year before on the Tube.

The best part of the location, however, is being in the train station. There's a Sainsbury open from 6am-11pm that got heavy use, as well as a pub upstairs with a decent lunch that we downed before the Heathrow Express, and stuff that you'd find in an airport like WH Smith.

The executive lounge is sort of like a cave. Small and in the basement, marginal choices for evening appetizers but wonderful crusty bread. Continental breakfast was good but not outstanding.

At 85,000 points for 3 nights, it was a very good value, the type of thing that I save Hilton points for. It's going up to 35k/night in June, which is a lot. As a Diamond, I'd return without question but I might pay instead of using 35k; otherwise I'd probably at least give Priceline a shot at a 5* property.
Old Dec 26, 2002, 11:26 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Trafalgar (which opened in the fall of 2001) may not be the place for mom unless she is youngish but rooms 205 and 305 do indeed have two queens and you can book them for awards. I phoned the hotel directly about our award res because we were bringing a teenager and they suggested and blocked 305 for our GLONP. I'd suggest calling the hotel directly and avoid calling after 5 London time when the lobby becomes a loud, smoky bar.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PaulGQ welcome to FT. If you read the Hilton T&C you will discover upgrades to suites is not part of the HH program. Additionally not all non-USA hotels(especially London) will give Golds (and sometimes Diamonds) any upgrades at all except a continental breakfast or other "special ammenity".

I recommend every HH VIP print out a copy of the HH T&C, always carry it, and refer HH hotel personnel to it if you are denied your hard earned and deserved HH benefits. It can be found at : http://www.hilton.com/en/hhonors/benefits/levels.jhtml

MisterNice
Old Dec 27, 2002, 6:06 am

Programs: Lots
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PaulGQ:
Good idea about the junior suite. Actually there are too many threads regarding this. I'd like someone to just simply break it down, which is the nicest one.</font>
This is what all the other threads started out as, so posting another thread for this reason serves absolutely no purpose.

Search for london and look at kokonutz's thread. Nice summaries.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I forgot about the Trafalgar (it wasn't open when I was looking in 2001), my apologies.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 8:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Somewhere burried in previous posts is my report on our absolutely fantastic time at the Langham.

I was with my wife and then eleven year old daughter and we were upgraded to the Sir Athrur Conan Doyle suite, a two floor flat with two bedrooms and a bathroom on the floor between the rooms. My daughter had a room in the tower of the hotel!

It could not have been a better stay. The hotel has one of the best indoor pools/spas I have seen, the breakfasts were in a BEATUIFUL room, and thought they usually cost $30 US per person, we were comped every day.

They have a wonderful high tea, and overall the service could have not been friendlier.

I would return to this property in a heartbeat.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Your biggest surprise may come when you discover that there are no award rooms available for the time you want to go unless, of course, you prefer staying by the airport. Funny how that happens in London.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 2:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Be careful with the Langham Hilton. I stayed there in a paid room and got just an upgrade to a deluxe room which is basically a standard room with a big bathroom. No breakfast, no welcome treat, nada....

Apparantly their generosity varies from guest to guest.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 3:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardB0777:
Be careful with the Langham Hilton. I stayed there in a paid room and got just an upgrade to a deluxe room which is basically a standard room with a big bathroom. No breakfast, no welcome treat, nada....

Apparantly their generosity varies from guest to guest.
</font>
You did get your elite membership benefit offers. You got a room upgrade which is all that is to be expected in Europe. There is no free breakfast entitlement if they gave you the executive room upgrade. Hardly fair to complain that they did give you it

Dave
Old Jan 6, 2003, 2:21 pm

Location: Mesa, AZ USA - UA Prem Ex- SPG Gold - Hilton Diamond - Marriot Platinum - Avis Chairman - National EE
Which London Hilton is Best for families

Hello All,

Will take the family with me (wife and 2 kids
under 6) this June for a business conference in London followed by vacation the next week in the Netherlands and Germany.

As I usually stay in London at either one of
the Marriott or Starwood properties, I am completely lost as to quality and appropriateness of the London Hilton properties.

My conference will be at Exhibition Hall and I will take the district line on the Tube to get there daily.

But I wanted to have the wife and kids at a Hilton both close to Hyde Park, the West End
and Harrods. That way whilst I am at conference during the day they can either grab a taxi or hop on the tube to sightseeing, shopping etc.

Thus of the following Hiltons which one would you recommend for families and for proximity to the above attractions.

Hilton Park Lane
Hilton Langham
Hilton Trafalgar
Any other you recommend?

Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2003, 2:34 pm

Personally, I would choose Metropole, unless you want to have two separate rooms. Their West Wing rooms (go for the Queen/Queen Deluxe Plus) are big enough for 2 adults and 2 kids. Location wise, Metropole is right on the tube (Edgware Road), and within 5-7 minutes walking from the Paddington.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally posted by me on 7/25/01 in another thread
I am sitting at this very moment in my room at the London Metropole with my wife and eitght year-old twins. I've been here 11 nights, the last three with my family.

Overall experience has been good. Service is uneven and impersonal in 1,000 plus room hotel. Location isn't greatest but the two Edgeware tube stations are 50 yards away. The rooms in the new West Wing (the only rooms one should stay in) are some of the quietest I have ever been in. When the family got here, I moved to a Family Club Room, which has two queen size beds and a queen pull-out couch. I estimate the room is 15 feet wide by 40 feet long(no kidding). I'm paying 121 pounds including the best, fullest English breakfast buffet I've ever seen (it should be at 17 pounds). I'm a Gold (who isn't these days) but don't know if that made a difference when I switched.

All in all, been very satisfied. The Executive Lounge, however, is on its 11 consecutive day of serving seafood and chicken canapes, which my wife noticed I now start to resemble.

Old Jan 6, 2003, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eugene:
Personally, I would choose Metropole, unless you want to have two separate rooms. Their West Wing rooms (go for the Queen/Queen Deluxe Plus) are big enough for 2 adults and 2 kids. Location wise, Metropole is right on the tube (Edgware Road), and within 5-7 minutes walking from the Paddington.</font>

Eugene is right on the money here. I stayed there for a week, this past July, with my wife and two kids. When you checkin go straight to the executive lounge on the second floor. Since you are HH Gold they will take care of you. The Executive Lounge staff at this property is outstanding. The gave me an upgrade to an apartment, I booked the "family room", the one Eugene discribed. Just ask them upon checkin for an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.