Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:14 am

I have to say that I wish I had read this thread before I booked my airfare . I may have chosen a different island for the first part of our vacation.

My husband is HHonors Diamond and we have been to the HWV 4 times in the last 6 years and I was really looking forward to another great stay in April booked via the AXON promotion. I had heard that HWV had been cutting back on Gold privileges and I am very disappointed that they have also cut back on Diamond as well. At least it seems the breakfast offering has changed for the better in the past month but I will sorely miss the executive lounge in the evenings and free breakfast for my daughter. I don't look forward to paying for parking and for my 9-year old's breakfast and I certainly don't look forward to a poor view because I didn't pay extra points for a good one.

The line between Golds and Diamonds appears to be non existent. I just read that last 20 pages of this thread but I did not see any information about the spa. It used to be that Diamonds could use the spa (hot tub, sauna, showers, etc) for free. Is this still the case or have my free spa visits also been taken away?
Old Feb 14, 2009, 11:51 am

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
If I were to book a hilton stay in Hawaii right now, I'd go the embassy suites route. Especially if you've already been to the Big Island several times.

Everyone gets a full hot breakfast.

Guaranteed suite.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
If I were to book a hilton stay in Hawaii right now, I'd go the embassy suites route. Especially if you've already been to the Big Island several times.

Everyone gets a full hot breakfast.

Guaranteed suite.
Unfortunately, I have airfare in place (NWA FF Miles) and island hoppers are already booked from KOA to OGG. Anyway, we stay at the Moana Surfrider when we're on Oahu. No free breakfast there, but it's a beautiful and historic hotel. We were upgraded to an extra large room in the historic wing overlooking the ocean and the banyan tree last visit *sigh*.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Boardroom, HH Diamond, National Executive
So just checked in today, 90% occupancy. No upgrade for me after asking and oddly in OLCI it showed my upgrade was granted : (

Saw the post regarding the spa, Diamond members and spouse (so plus one as they put it) get complimentary access to the spa. Coupon for breakfast. We are in a garden view in the ocean tower. If anyone has questions, nows the time to ask and I'll find out. Tram and boat: Working.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by endodoc79
My husband couln't believe it so he called the HWV last week to ask about the executive lounge. They confirmed it was closed and there were no plans to reopen it.
I just booked an AXON here for Dec 09 and was very much looking forward to the Exec lounge. Just horrible news.

Originally Posted by Markieg
With the parking fee, room, exec lounge and breakfast changes I wont be back (we travelled half way round the world to go there).
Crying shame as I really enjoyed the place before all the changes. Sad.
I've only read the last 10 pages or so of this thread, but sounds like things are going down the tubes. Loss of lounge and chinsy breakfast is enough to make me reconsider.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
At this point, they're a gigantic Hampton Inn - well, at least the Hampton Inn gives you an unlimited breakfast buffet.
Hampton's are consistent, one reason why I love them. Hiltons are not. This is one great example.

Originally Posted by SixString
I did not get charged the $15/day self-parking fee.
The exit gate was open the whole time I was there, so I don't think this was any special Diamond benefit...it appeared they weren't charging anyone for parking.
Wonder what other FT-ers experience is. This is total nickel and diming. IS there really no where else to park overnight (i.e. walk like a mile)?

I guess I don't care so much about boats/trams - though it would be nice to have them running. Sad to hear about low occupancy, you would think they (GM and/or Hilton) would get it and start focusing on great customer experiences. Wonder what is posting on TripAdvisor.

I guess I'm seriously considering my trip here now. I have FF tickets booked, but can cancel for free. Maybe I should consider a vacation elsewhere with my sister. Hmmm....
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ingy
You would think with occupancy this low, they could easily upgrade their best customers and give you free continental breakfast and internet or free parking.
You would think. Apparently they like to fleece their best customers like DL does.

Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
Expectations......as a Diamond, don't expect much, that way you will not be disappointed.
While this is good advice, it seems sad it has come to this. While many have articulated their thoughts on over-expectations, over-entitlement, etc yada yada yada...it goes without saying that the purpose of Diamond is to recognize the best customers and reward their loyalty with benefits. Seems to me that this hotel is not doing this well. It should be the GM, and then Blackstone who should be held ultimately responsible. This doesn't excuse staff's poor CS etc. If my boss sucks, that doesn't give me the right to treat my customers poorly.

Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
With the occupancy level at what it is right now I am disgusted with my lack of upgrade.
Funny they are going against the grain. With hotels worldwide suffering from vacancy, the majority of them are giving out more perks to attract customers. Either all of them are plain foolish, or Hilton hasn't gotten the point.

Originally Posted by endodoc79
We called the hotel today to check up on the lounge situation and they said a breakfast area had been set up in the Lagoon Tower for Gold and Diamond members. They said it was a Continental breakfast with cereal and fruit and pastries with coffee and juice. It sounded similar to the offerings at the old Gold Lounge in the Palace Tower. Maybe they felt this was more cost effective than giving out breakfast coupons? In any case it falls short of expectations.
Wonder how it will change the next 10 months (before my TENTATIVE stay).

Originally Posted by maltman1
I write the Diamond desk about this and my experiences there and 3 weeks after sending I get some kid not sure who he was, not a manger, asking me what I can do to come back, I tell him how about a better choice or a hot breakfast and he says "Ok, well thanks for staying with us"

Customer service gone to hell.
I would have expected the DD to do better. One time I flamed the Hilton Beijing for a bad stay. I got someone from the DD, and CS Mgr from Hilton Beijing who both apologized and contacted me directly. While I don't think we should expect this every time, I would expect them to take feedback more seriously.

Originally Posted by gsupstate
Hilton Corporate SHOULD care that a frequent Hilton guest is pissed, period, regardless. As I've said in airline forums, even if someone's in a seat (or room) on an upgrade, or paid with miles (or points), they most certainly have earned that, by repeated business to the overall corporation and should be treated accordingly. Treatment should be consistent across the board.
+1. Isn't that what being in a service industry is all about? And consistency is what we all crave for. It's lack of consistency that creates upset expectations.

Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
I always cringe when I read about people with millions of points in their accounts. I encourage you to burn your points as you earn them, having no more than a year's worth on hand - you don't know what changes will be made to these programs and in my 10 years of business travel, I have noticed the redemption level and services received go down rather than up.

I agree that the "giving away gold to anyone with a pulse" is a big part of the problem. Gold should be earned. Give away silver if you need to give away something.
Good advice on burning. I'm in that mode now. All elite levels should be earned. I don't mind status matches or challenges, I do mind the spend $$$ and get Diamond. But that's the world we live in now.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller76
I was upgraded to a suite in the Ocean Tower which was very satisfactory. They are providing free continental breakfast coupons for gold and diamond members which I wasn't impressed with at first but the spread in the Palm Terrace won me over as it was easy to find different food to try each day, all of which was excellent. The service at the Terrace was either excellent or terrible, depending on your server that day. Employee morale seemed low throughout the hotel which was undoubtedly due to the recent cutbacks at the hotel. The parking gates appeared to be fixed however I was not charged for parking by using my room key to get in and out of the lot. $15 a day for self park and $21 for valet. I never had trouble finding a spot but if you get in late it can be a long walk. Both the tram and the boats were running during my stay.
Thanks for the TR. Glad to hear one positive comment on the food. I hope mgmt addresses the employee morale issue. Did the $15 just not show up on your folio? Did you ask about it?
Old Feb 15, 2009, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Delta Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
The parking was never applied to my folio. I fully expected it to when I checked out but it never showed up and I didnt inquire.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by worldtraveller76
The parking was never applied to my folio. I fully expected it to when I checked out but it never showed up and I didnt inquire.
Sounds like you might have gotten lucky. You never know though. Thanks for the update.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 2:03 pm

The only benefit we got out of the Executive Lounge was the free soda and bottled water.

I am going to need two rooms this year for our stay in July. Is it possiable to use points and pay for an upgrade to a two room suite?
Old Feb 28, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Msnowdon
I am going to need two rooms this year for our stay in July. Is it possiable to use points and pay for an upgrade to a two room suite?
For a 6-night stay two weeks before Christmas 2006, I reserved two rooms using points (a pair of GLONP). At check-in, I asked if could get 1 suite for the 2 rooms. The young lady went in the back for a few minutes. She came back and gave me the keys to a one bedroom suite ... and a connecting second bedroom. No extra charge. (Effectively 3 standard-sized rooms.) Was in the Ocean Tower, third floor overlooking the canal. Miracles do happen!!!

Past performance is no guarantee of future performance...
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond/ AC Elite/*Gold /Hertz Gold5*/Global Entry-TSA Pre/Starbucks Gold
My Experiences

Getting ready to plan our golf vacation, and I can't believe the comments about this property. I've been to this property 3 times; the last time was May 2008. How things have changed. Unfortunately, cutbacks are everywhere. Here are my comments on my last stay:

New service offered for Diamond VIP members was GREAT! I got an email 1 week before our arrival to provide our flight information. I did. We were greeted at the airport with a representative; both my husband and I received lovely Lei. The representative told us to get our rental car while they collected our luggage. Within 15 mins of our landing, we got our car, drove back to the arrival area where our luggage was waiting to be loaded in our car.

Now on to the hotel-
As this was my third time to the property, I'm always looking for improvements. Unfortunately, this hotel just "Meets" expectations. In today’s economy and with other hotel chains, Hilton should be identifying and delivering opportunities to "Exceed" expectations.

Room - I was confirmed Ocean View.
As usual, I was upgraded to Executive floor, partial ocean view.
Had to call housekeeping, as I had no toiletries.
Housekeeping was a hit and miss for the entire stay. On any given day, we were missing washcloths or some kind of toiletry. This is not acceptable considering the hotel was not even 1/3 occupied.

USA Today - Shocked! Hilton Honor members receive USA today on weekdays. No Paper! Called the front desk, and told” Not at this Property. We’re negotiating our contract". I couldn't believe this response. If the USA today is not available, then they should have had a local paper, furthermore, the hotel management should have been forthcoming about this in the welcome packet apologizing that there would be no paper. I would have received the honesty had it been forthcoming.

Pool Cabanas- Shocked! The last 2 stays, pool cabanas have been free. We couldn't believe the hotel had the nerve to charge $150 for a full day rental! By the way - we never saw anyone in a cabana in our entire stay. They would rather have them sit empty.

Closed the Pool with smaller waterslide by Ocean Tower. Not that big a deal for us except for getting pool towels.

Gym - Free for Diamond VIP's, used 6 times, lots of equipment, very nice.

Transportation - Boat/Tram -No problems. I read a lot of reviews complaining about the time it takes to get around. We have no problem with waiting. We're on vacation.

Food/Shopping - Check out the new shops/restaurants at the Mauna Lani Resort. You can do much better there.

Golfing - We golfed at both the Kings and Beach courses. FABULOUS. Hotel does offer free transportation to both Kings and Beach courses.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Cabanas

Originally Posted by CARose
Pool Cabanas- Shocked! The last 2 stays, pool cabanas have been free. We couldn't believe the hotel had the nerve to charge $150 for a full day rental! By the way - we never saw anyone in a cabana in our entire stay. They would rather have them sit empty.
I visited this property in September and rented a cabana. In addition to the cabana itself, at least in September, they had water and soft drinks flowing throughout the day... along with huge fruit platters.... and cookies and chips. This was in addition to the towel service they had there. While you could have sat in those cabanas for free as recently as a year ago, a good chunk of the fee covers the food/drink and service you get. For Hawaii standards, I didn't think the price was that bad... especially with the volume of food/drink provided then.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CARose
Closed the Pool with smaller waterslide by Ocean Tower. Not that big a deal for us except for getting pool towels.
Permanently or temporarily?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Boardroom, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by BriGuy
Permanently or temporarily?
Temporarily.

I just came back from a six day stay there. Good news, the week I was there a new tram was delivered and being serviced.

The boat was running, the tram was running, all the pools/slides were open and running.

The property itself not too bad, but it was at 90% occupancy and felt like it at every corner we turned. The best way to explain our stay: The property is used to 60% occupancy and was not prepared or staffed for a big sell out week, which seemed surprising. No paper in the morning, no wireless in Ocean Tower rooms, not even a mention or chance at an upgrade even though OLCI said we were upgraded oddly.

All the coupons for the breakfast in the Lagoon area caused 15 - 20 minute waits since everyone seemed to cash in their rewards for the stay the week I was there.

The breakfast was ok with pastries, smoked salmon, fresh breads, but no executive floor if one exists there and no lounge as others have posted. The gym was nice.

One item I was mad at: We wanted to open a bottle of wine we bought in Kona, I called for two wine glasses and was going to be charged $10.00 for the service fee to be delivered AND it would have taken over an hour for the glasses. I've never had that before, so I went to one of the restaurants and ended up getting glasses there and having the bottle opened for me.

Next time I go back, I am going to pay for the four seasons and be happy I am not dealing with unhappy people at every turn and getting nickle and dimed at a resort. It was all summed up when I checked out in person to try and explain some of my experience, I told the front desk when they asked about my stay that it was OK since we had a couple of issues. She then said robotically we hope to see you again and to have a nice trip home. I knew at that point it wasn't worth my input if her response was that automatic (checked out at the HHonors counter).
Old Mar 20, 2009, 6:34 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs up Award Booking a Suite at Waikoloa Village - 60k/night

I received this offer today via e-mail:
Upgrade with Hilton HHonors Points Only at Waikoloa*
Redeem HHonors points for guaranteed upgraded accommodations at the Hilton Waikoloa Village® on Hawaii's Big Island.

A standard room is only 40,000 HHonors points per night. Take advantage of this special limited-time offer and confirm a one-bedroom suite for an additional 20,000 points per night.**

You must call 1-800-HHONORS to book this offer

FWIW, I'm a Diamond and had award stays at the HWV in 2008 and 2005.

Apologies if this was already posted, discussed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.