Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2008, 4:31 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Good for you. ^

I would be happy for you to carry a copy of my fax and email (sent twice to them) to which I received zero response.

If you'd be willing to do that, feel free to PM me your email address.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL-PM, HH Diamond
Good to hear, particularly since I received no response to my email explaining why I was cancelling.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
I suspect between their poor reputation lately, the weak economy, and the VOG, they might have quite a few empty rooms. I know I took them off my list for a February Hawaii visit.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 6:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond/ AC Elite/*Gold /Hertz Gold5*/Global Entry-TSA Pre/Starbucks Gold
I'm very surprised to read that you got a personal response from the GM. My husband and I have stayed at this property 4 times, most recently in April. After every stay, I've emailed the Diamond VIP desk with the same complaints related to poor service.
You're probably thinking why we've bothered to go back after experiencing poor service. This is a beautiful property; we enjoy the Big Island more than any other island, and love to golf. Not to mention, I've used my VIP reward and points for every stay.
Every year the service seems to continue to decline. Most recently, I read on tripadvisor, that the executive lounge is closed due to cutbacks.

It's a real shame that this property doesn't do more for their most loyal members.
Here is a list of some of the issues I experienced with no resolution or response from management:
-Pool Cabana's - Used to be free. This year, they have the nerve to charge $125 to rent. They were empty everyday we were there
-One stay, self park was free for Diamond VIP's, the next I was charged
-Had a message at the spa, price in the room flyer was different than I was charged. Was told by the management that housekeeping was supposed to remove the in-room flyer as the rates had changed. The price difference was over $50.
-I love this one, basic HH even for silver is daily delivery of the USA today or local paper. Was told, not at this property.

I hope that your comments to the GM result in change. I too encourage management to read the reviews on flyertalk and tripadvisor.
I love this property and will probably go back, but they need to step it up if they want to attract people in this economy.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CARose
I'm very surprised to read that you got a personal response from the GM. My husband and I have stayed at this property 4 times, most recently in April. After every stay, I've emailed the Diamond VIP desk with the same complaints related to poor service.
You're probably thinking why we've bothered to go back after experiencing poor service. This is a beautiful property; we enjoy the Big Island more than any other island, and love to golf. Not to mention, I've used my VIP reward and points for every stay.
Every year the service seems to continue to decline. Most recently, I read on tripadvisor, that the executive lounge is closed due to cutbacks.

It's a real shame that this property doesn't do more for their most loyal members.
Here is a list of some of the issues I experienced with no resolution or response from management:
-Pool Cabana's - Used to be free. This year, they have the nerve to charge $125 to rent. They were empty everyday we were there
-One stay, self park was free for Diamond VIP's, the next I was charged
-Had a message at the spa, price in the room flyer was different than I was charged. Was told by the management that housekeeping was supposed to remove the in-room flyer as the rates had changed. The price difference was over $50.
-I love this one, basic HH even for silver is daily delivery of the USA today or local paper. Was told, not at this property.

I hope that your comments to the GM result in change. I too encourage management to read the reviews on flyertalk and tripadvisor.
I love this property and will probably go back, but they need to step it up if they want to attract people in this economy.
If your stays at this Hotel has been free stays , then you are NOT a Loyal customer of this particuliar hotel, so why should they go the extra yard when you havent given them a dime Room wise?
Old Dec 7, 2008, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
FWIW I didn't consider the HWV as a property on my last two trips to Kona in the past two years. Instead I spent a week at the Marriott across the street (didn't like that either) and then a week at the Sheraton (my new Kona home). My decision, like many of my stay choices were highly influenced by the comments I read here.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Good for you. ^

I would be happy for you to carry a copy of my fax and email (sent twice to them) to which I received zero response.

If you'd be willing to do that, feel free to PM me your email address.
what happened?
I remember when I was ripped off royally by the hotel staff.
Thousands in Room Service charges and boxes I had sent fed ex to the hotel stolen. The hotel did finally pay for stolen things and remove the bogus charges months later.
I still would never stay here again
Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:10 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
At Waikoloa now

I mentioned at check in the recent comments online about the hotel and the check in agent was quite surprised.

This property is gorgeous, and in nice condition. Every staff member I have spoken to has been very friendly and helpful.

Occupancy is 35 to 40% right now according to several staff members. The place is empty.

As a Gold we were given a Lagoon tower room overlooking the lagoon and the breakfast coupons. Breakfast is very weak. Only children's cereals, a muffin or two, juice, banana and coffee. When I called about the internet I was informed that My Way indicated room upgrade and free breakfast.

You would think with occupancy this low, they could easily upgrade their best customers and give you free continental breakfast and internet or free parking.

This is nothing more than belt tightening by an individual GM. I will be back for the property and location, but it feels a little too tight fisted for Golds and Diamonds.

I'd be glad to talk to the GM if she has an interest.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:04 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ingy
...This property is gorgeous, and in nice condition. Every staff member I have spoken to has been very friendly and helpful.
That's certainly always been my experience. I find that the folks who tend to come in with a "mainland attitude" are the ones who don't find this to be the case.

I wonder if anyone has the free time to try a website: SaveHiltonWaikoloa or somesuch?

The HHV tried the same cheap breakfast thing for Gold/Diamonds for awhile after the incredibly wonderful Assistant Manager Joshua _____ left, but quickly returned the ability for Gold/Diamonds to use the breakfast coupons for the full continental buffet (no one plate nonsense, although they tried for a little while).

And to address what someone said upstream, most folks who do reward stays at the HWV end up spending a lot of money on the property anyway. The cost-to-the-hotel of the room is only a small factor compared to restaurant charges, Dolphin Encounter, Luau, etc., etc.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 7:48 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Thanks for taking the time to go to bat for the rest of us, Ed ONeill!! We appreciate it.

Are you willing to take a laundry list of negative changes to the GM for the rest of us? If so, could you add that self parking used to be free, but now costs $15/night. Why? The HWV is not in an urban market.

Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm, not good. I stayed at this property several years ago, and received great treatment as a priceline guest (of all things). I'm planning on returning next year as a Gold on an award stay, but it sounds like I'd do better to save my points for elsewhere. I guess I'll watch this thread.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:14 am

Programs: LH SEN LT , Hilton
I can only add that we wanted to go this January ,but after reading all the reports posted , decided on Cancun instead & got a great deal on price. Would not want to travel that far & be disappointed.

Will be very interesting to see the results , even more so in the current climate
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond/ AC Elite/*Gold /Hertz Gold5*/Global Entry-TSA Pre/Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by craz
If your stays at this Hotel has been free stays , then you are NOT a Loyal customer of this particuliar hotel, so why should they go the extra yard when you havent given them a dime Room wise?
I've used reward points for each of my stays. That covered 6 of our 10 nights, so I have payed out of pocket. If your implying that honoring basic VIP Benefits such as providing the daily paper, and having inaccurate prices on spa services because the housekeeping refuses to change the in-room flyer is going the extra yard, your standards must be very low.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CARose
I've used reward points for each of my stays. That covered 6 of our 10 nights, so I have payed out of pocket. If your implying that honoring basic VIP Benefits such as providing the daily paper, and having inaccurate prices on spa services because the housekeeping refuses to change the in-room flyer is going the extra yard, your standards must be very low.
what I was inferring was, numerous times people accure their pts from various means other then staying at a Hotel or a particuliar hotel. Yet when it comes to cashing out their pts they want to at the best Hotel (so do I) yet expect to be treated like a Loyal customer, while they never dropped much $$ at taht hotel. Sort of like I want to use my miles to get to Australia but AA or CO doesnt fly to SYD so I fly whomever does, and then complain about the service on that Carrier and how Ive flown them before and wont again. Of cause I never purchased a tkt on them but used my miles from an Alliance partner.

there are certain Hotels that get inudated with Golds/Diamonds cashing in for free stays but they hardly ever see any room rev from these people. I know some owners from non-Hil hotels that Deflagged themselves this past yr for that reason. they were inudated with free stays yet hardly got any biz for paid stays, and those who were staying for free almost always sent in complaints about how the Hotel treated them

The HHW and HHV are 2 among a few Hotels that get a high number of award stays, and rightly so, but the Hotel is simply trying to reduce its loss. I stayed at the HHW enjoyed it and w/o a lounge and having to pay for parking I would go back. I dont blame the Hotel, they can make their decissions and I will make mine

at least this Hotel is a True Resort, all too many Hotels claim to be resorts due to their location and are far from it , yet Elites dont get their benefits cause its called a resort. Heck Planet Hollywood in Vegas (SPG) now charges a resort fee for everything that is supposed to be given free to the top elites
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: UA
I did have paid stays already at the HWV and they don't treat you better or wose based on whether its an award stay or not. I think the discussion about Award vs Paid stay is mute for this property. They nickel and dime you regardless how they are paid.
I can understand that the hotel tries to save money or find some additional revenue in a hard economic situation. Now the question is whether they have enough one time visitors that just don't know any better and won't return anyway or is the majority of their business repeat visitors ?
Also I saw some conferences there a while ago and for the participants its all on the company's dime anyway, so a couple extra dollars won't matter to them.
Personally if I am on vacation I rather pay a little more and have a good breakfast included and also don't like to pay other fees like parking or having chairs on the beach.
My best vacation was on Lizard Island in Australia where close to everything (alcohol was extra) including usage of boats was included, you didn't need to worry about how much this or that might cost especially since they really had a captive audience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.