Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2005, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like we overlapped last week so I'll add a few extra notes.

Service is definitely getting worse in some areas. We put our room service plates outside around sunset and they sat there until 10 am next morning. Birds took advantage of the situation bright and early and by the time we got up it looked more like a site of a major food fight.

We had two rooms: first check in was with HH line - the agent pointed the room location on the map about 60 degrees away from where it actually was. Did not want to return to change but called and put a request for suite upgrade that never cleared. The next day got another room this time from a regular line - got a wonderful agent who was very knowledgeable and assigned an excellent oceanfront room. It turned out she's been working there since Hyatt days.

Some employees are very dedicated - one shuttleboat operator kept singing and helping with questions, men's spa attendant remembered me from the last trip, valet service guys run like crazy to get cars - so overall it is mixed.I guess it's unavoidable for a resort of this size.

New room furniture (that we had in 5069) is nice.
Kohala spa is under renovation (11/28 through mid-december AFAIK) but luckily 2 showers were still available before I left to catch my redeye.
Cocomango stuff is gone from both rooms and spa.

Lounge pig apparently has a family. I witnessed in horror as a woman in sunglasses took an entire plate of pastries (20 or so), swept them in into her plastic bag and walked out. Lounge staff did not seem to care but they had their hands full with dozens of kids running around.
The other day another woman poured an entire pot of half-and-half into her cereal making sure there was not a drop left by shaking it upside down as I was waiting behind with my coffee. I was tempted to give her a few dieting tips but restrained myself.

I hate the fact that if you hold a cup of coffee in one hand and a plate in the other you cannot really open the lounge door to go to the tables outside. They really need to redesign that.

Outside HWV:
Food in Kohala is overpriced. Just go to Kona.
Starbucks in Waimea does not serve Kona coffee. Many small coffee places do. Buy Kona beans to take home from Costco or farmers markets.
Lava was not accessible by hiking at all but the ocean entry was visible.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Also

We are just completing a three night stay at HWV.

As others have noted, it is LARGE. Be prepared to walk. To us, it has a slightly fading Disney-feel. Almost seems like it is designed to protect you FROM the environment.

We were in newly renovated 5068 on Club level. Ocean view. The bed was great. As diamonds, we had club access (we used only for breakfast). There was a small fruit plate delivered to room. They are still renovating 6th floor but it caused no problem.

Overall, it was fine, but we had just spent two nights at the Mauna Lani up the road (business conference) and I must say we preferred the ML. Although the bed was better at HWV, the staff at the ML was SO GOOD and friendly that it made a huge difference.

Examples, I needed a new cell phone charger so called the HWV concierge asking where I might buy one. The answer "maybe in Kona." I have no doubt at ML they would have looked it up and given me directions to one or more places."

At HWV, they were polite but neglectful. There, even if one rode the elevator it was "How are you enjoying your stay. can we do anything for you?" At ML, little touches like serving you fresh OJ at check in.

Seriously, we had no substantial complaints, but there are the ML was a bit classier in our estimation.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
If your room service tray only sat in the hall for 16 hours than service at the HWV has definately improved.....When we were there in January trays routinely sat in the hall with food congealing for a day or more......

Beautiful grounds, but truly a lousy hotel.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 8:10 pm

Location: D/FW- AA Plt Hilton Diamond NWA Silver Marriott Gold
Any new news? We are leaving on the 28th for an Alon2 stay.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, UA silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Billiken
It would be nice but would cost the HWV a fortune.
Disagree, the hotels I have stayed at in Europe all have open bars open all day long. Never a charge.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:25 pm

Hwv

My husband & I just returned from 3 nights at HWV. We had spent a few nights before at the Mauna Lani up the road at a work conference just before.

We stayed in 5068 in the Ocean Tower. As Diamond, we were put on a Club floor. There was a small fruit plate provided as well. The room was recently renovated. They were still working on the 6th floor, but it was not a problem. The room was nice. it included a refrigerator. The bed was great! Balcony with ocean view. Pet peeve: $11 a day for internet when I can get it free at any Hampton....

As many have noted, the place is LARGE. We liked Ocean Tower as a couple. It has the quieter "adult" pool. However,it is a LONG walk to the entrance when you are tired. Not sure if there was a convention or something, but there seemed to be a lot of tatoos and Harley muscle shirts among the customers....

To me, the whole HWV has the air of a slightly faded Disney-clone. It also seems that it is designed to keep a barrier to the "real" ocean.

We never ate there so I cannot speak to that. However, the Merriman's at the nearby King's Shops was very good for lunch. Very fresh food well-prepared.

Overall, the staff was acceptable but not particularly good. One exception, which others have noted, is the valet parking staff. They were always very quick and friendly.

One room key did not work. When I took it back to the desk, it was corrected, but no apology.

My one attempt to use the concierge gives an example of the marginal quality of the rest of the staff. I called to ask where I could buy a new cell phone charger. I figure a great concierge would offer to go buy it for me. A good concierge would give me a list of places, with directions, where I could go buy one. The HWV concierge said "Ummm...why don't you try going to Kona?" Clearly she is unclear about the concept of "concierge."

Hubby & I agreed if we still had small kids we would take them there in a heartbeat. The pools and dolphins looked great for kids. For the two of us, however, we would go back to Mauna Lani.

The lounge breakfast was fine--fruit, yogurt, cereal and some pretty good mini-pastries. We were always out adventuring so I cannot speak for afternoon treats. However, I did notice it is still "honor bar" (you are charged) for alcoholic drinks, which i thought was a bit tacky for Diamonds.

The staff at ML was exceptional. We arrived at 7 a.m. (bad flight arrangements) yet they located us a room, and served us two small glasses of fresh OJ to welcome us. (Even though we were on a very low conference rate.) The staff was always informal and friendly but dedicated to making sure you had a good time.

Even when a staffer rode the elevator with me, he asked if we were enjoying our stay and could they do anyhting to make it better.

As to HWV, we didn't have a bad time; it was totally acceptable (especially the bed), but I doubt we would return (unless we get grandkids to bring!). For similar money, we enjoyed the ML much more.

Last edited by gretchendz; Dec 6, 2005 at 9:30 pm
Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by gretchendz
My husband & I just returned from 3 nights at HWV. We had spent a few nights before at the Mauna Lani up the road at a work conference just before.

We stayed in 5068 in the Ocean Tower. As Diamond, we were put on a Club floor. There was a small fruit plate provided as well. The room was recently renovated. They were still working on the 6th floor, but it was not a problem. The room was nice. it included a refrigerator. The bed was great! Balcony with ocean view. Pet peeve: $11 a day for internet when I can get it free at any Hampton....

As many have noted, the place is LARGE. We liked Ocean Tower as a couple. It has the quieter "adult" pool. However,it is a LONG walk to the entrance when you are tired. Not sure if there was a convention or something, but there seemed to be a lot of tatoos and Harley muscle shirts among the customers....

To me, the whole HWV has the air of a slightly faded Disney-clone. It also seems that it is designed to keep a barrier to the "real" ocean.

We never ate there so I cannot speak to that. However, the Merriman's at the nearby King's Shops was very good for lunch. Very fresh food well-prepared.

Overall, the staff was acceptable but not particularly good. One exception, which others have noted, is the valet parking staff. They were always very quick and friendly.

One room key did not work. When I took it back to the desk, it was corrected, but no apology.

My one attempt to use the concierge gives an example of the marginal quality of the rest of the staff. I called to ask where I could buy a new cell phone charger. I figure a great concierge would offer to go buy it for me. A good concierge would give me a list of places, with directions, where I could go buy one. The HWV concierge said "Ummm...why don't you try going to Kona?" Clearly she is unclear about the concept of "concierge."

Hubby & I agreed if we still had small kids we would take them there in a heartbeat. The pools and dolphins looked great for kids. For the two of us, however, we would go back to Mauna Lani.

The lounge breakfast was fine--fruit, yogurt, cereal and some pretty good mini-pastries. We were always out adventuring so I cannot speak for afternoon treats. However, I did notice it is still "honor bar" (you are charged) for alcoholic drinks, which i thought was a bit tacky for Diamonds.

The staff at ML was exceptional. We arrived at 7 a.m. (bad flight arrangements) yet they located us a room, and served us two small glasses of fresh OJ to welcome us. (Even though we were on a very low conference rate.) The staff was always informal and friendly but dedicated to making sure you had a good time.

Even when a staffer rode the elevator with me, he asked if we were enjoying our stay and could they do anyhting to make it better.

As to HWV, we didn't have a bad time; it was totally acceptable (especially the bed), but I doubt we would return (unless we get grandkids to bring!). For similar money, we enjoyed the ML much more.
did you get free wifi in the world club on the way over?
Old Dec 7, 2005, 1:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Silver
Another HWV Report

I am here currently on an ALON2 award and am giving the resort mixed results.

Upon check-in, we were given a room on the third floor of the Palace tower with a golf course view. I decided to ask if I was given an upgrade since I am a gold member. The answer was "no, you have not been upgraded yet". I did get moved to the 5th floor of the Lagoon Tower for an "ocean view" of the lagoon and Dolphin Quest area. The room itself is nothing special. Clean and in good shape. The only minor issue with the room is the shower drains slowly.

We valet parked the car since we arrived late and arranged to have the luggage delivered to our room. An hour and a half later, the luggage had not arrived so I had an idea the luggage went to the original room. A call to the desk had it redelivered within fifteen minutes or so.

I had to ask about breakfast and I was given access in the Palace Tower. Diamonds and Golds both access this lounge. It has not been crowded any morning yet. We have not used the lounge at other times. I was also given two coupons for bottled water from the mini-bar.

The mini-bar was completly empty until the third day. When they did fill it, they left two notes informing me they were out of the following: Arizona Tea, Ginger Ale, Amstel Light, Heineken, Asahi, Korbel, Chardonnay, Cookies, Fiji Water, Red Bull, and Apple Juice. The islands must be having huge shortages even though the bars seem to have most of these items. The mini-bar is also not cooling so the drinks will probably stay in the bar.

About half of the restaurants have been closed the entire time. Donatoni's is closed until Thursday for "renovations" and the Palm Terrace buffet has been closed with no reason given. I would imagine it's because this seems to be a pretty slow week for them. The prices that I have seen don't seem to be out of line for a resort.

The grounds seem to be in excellent shape from what I have seen so far. The property is large but can easily be walked. I would consider staying here again.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 2:41 pm

Location: D/FW- AA Plt Hilton Diamond NWA Silver Marriott Gold
Doesn't every Embassy Suites have a managers happy hour every day, giving away free liquor?

Why they couldn't do this in a resort is beyond me.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Billiken
FYI:
When we were there in late March, the honor bar was NOT self-pour.

No self-pour in November as well. In fact, the beer/wine cooler was locked tight until the attendant opened it. To make matters worse - everything was warm!
Old Dec 9, 2005, 3:04 pm

Definite decline for GOLDs at HWV

We just returned from our 4th trip to HWV (Waikoloa). We've done 6 night stays in 2001, 2002, 2003, & now 2005, all the week after Thanksgiving, always with Gold status. We've noticed a steady decline in the property and the services provided over this timespan.

Prior to booking this year (in late October) I emailed HWV and asked what I could expect as HHonors Gold. The email I received back (about 3 weeks later) explained to me that HWV now makes it a practice to offer the minimum required to its Gold status customers because so many of us are coming there for 'complimentary' 6 night stays. For that reason, they said that there is no evening service in the 'gold' lounge in the Palace tower because it is not required by HHonors. It also now costs Golds $10 per person per day to use the Spa locker room/facilities (you can workout on the machines for free but no steam/sauna/shower). After reading the email (twice) I still wasn't sure whether they were encouraging me or discouraging me from making a reservation. It seemed to imply that award stays were an incredible burden/nuisance for the property. I also felt rather annoyed with them terming award stays as complimentary - as if we don't earn them/purchase them with points which most of us earn by directing our travel $ and spending behaviors in specific manners to earn us HHonors points, often at an increased cost over competing alternatives. I would love a 6 night complimentary stay at HWV. I wouldn't expect a single hhonors perk or bonus if my stay was complimentary! But my stay wasn't going to complimentary. I was purchasing it with my hard earned points (75% more than my previous stays now that it costs 175,000 points) and to have the property tell me that it is now their policy to do the absolute MINIMUM required for Golds, which is certainly within their right, left me feeling no love... We went ahead and made the reservation, but pretty much decided that if that was the kind of service we ended up receiving then we would return the favor and spend the minimum necessary at the property. This is pretty unusual for us. On our previous award stays we spent $400 - $600 each time. This time our folio balance ended up being around $25.

We've always received the spa locker room at no charge prior to this trip. We've also always been put in the Ocean tower lounge - not the palace, since that is where our rooms were located. This time we managed an Ocean tower room, but had to use the Palace lounge even though the property was at very low occupany.

In comparing the Gold and Diamond lounges, the Gold lounge serves a more limited continental breakfast than the diamond lounge. For fruit it offers sliced papaya, pineapple, & watermelon along with varying whole fruit (apple,banana, pear..). I seem to remember the Ocean tower lounge had other melons as well as some berries. There is a platter of small pastries. There are 4 kinds of boxed cereal (Fruit loops, Corn Flakes, Frosted Flakes, & Raisin Bran). There are 2 juices, coffee, tea, and milk. That is it.

If you review the list of breakfast items you might notice that the opportunities to consume protein from this menu are limited to milk and Raisin Bran. There was no yogurt. There were no lower sugar/lower fat breads like bagels or toast. I was really tired of Raisin Bran by the end of the week...

Also, the Gold lounge isn't as conveniently furnished as the Ocean tower lounge. There are no tables at normal plate height. All of the tables are short which is fine for beverage service but a little more awkward for eating. On the postive side, there is a much better view from the lanai since you can look out towards the ocean.

This was our 3rd return trip. The previous 2 trips we received a fruit plate with cutlery and napkins shortly after checking in with a "welcome back/we appreciate your business". It was a nice touch. This time we came in after a swim the 2nd day there and found the note and a little woven fan on the desk. I was majorly underwhelmed at this expression of 'appreciation'. Some of the recent Diamond posts have mentioned getting the fruit plate, so I assume this is another 'minimilization' for Golds.

Probably the biggest disappointment of all, though, was when I saw that they no longer include the SPA LOTION and soap in the rooms. Instead the toiletries are all the standard Neutrogena and Crabtree and Evelyn products. Neither were particularly good. The Concierge said they'd quit placing the spa lotion and soap in the guest rooms earlier this year. She didn't say whether the Executive level still gets the good stuff.

We did go to the Spa and found things changed there for the worse as well. The row of womens showers had all been taken out. Instead there were only 2 showers next to the sauna/steam area ( I think one of them used to be a private whirlpool room). There used to be a row of 4 or 5 showers behind the sink area. With only 2 showers, there was often a line of women waiting to use them. It sort of takes away from the relaxation aspect if you have to time your activities to coincide with shower availability and then know that there are others waiting for you to finish up! Plus the area wasn't as well staffed as before. The showers weren't very clean, lots of cups and towels lying around. The steam room appears to be permanently out of order. The door to the steam room was broken when we were there 2 years ago, I wonder if it is still the same problem...

Lastly, the Pool Hours have been reduced. Except for 1 of the pools, on previous stays the pools were all open 24 hours. Now, they are all open 8am-11pm except for the adult pool which closes at 6pm. We like to get in an early swim in the Kona pool and be done by 7:30am so this change really challenged our schedule to be able to swim, shower, and eat breakfast before the lounge closed at 10am when we couldn't start until 8am. It didn't leave any time for checking out the dolphins and the lagoon fish on our way back to the Ocean tower after the swim. It definitely took some of the fun out of it by making us fit into the new schedule.

Lastly, there was construction/renovation or major maintenance projects going on EVERYWHERE. It was very noisy, sometimes very dirty. They were taking out the paving stones around the Kona pool which was a huge mess. Often the waterfall wasn't turned on. We had a renovated room in the Ocean tower. We felt the new decor wasn't really a good mix the rooms aesthetically. It felt more like a mainland room trying to do tropical. Also, they added a large glass desk to the room furnishings and took out the small table. As a result the only place they could fit the couch back in was up against the lanai wall facing the side of the second bed with about 2 feet between the bed and the couch. It didn't really create a lounge area

Ok, rant over... Thanks for listening!
Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
ronamc, thank you for this report. I'll be there in February for two weeks for the first time, but my expectations are now much lower.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 8:57 pm

Programs: SWA, UA, Delta, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
just returned from HWV...

Couldn't have said it better ronamc! I too just returned from HWV for 6 day award stay and had very similar experience. We stayed next door at Marriott last year and heard they were being renovated, yet it didn't seem nearly as inconvenient as we visited!

We stayed in 7050 in Ocean Tower and we had engineering in our room for numerous reasons; first our security latch had been pulled out of the wall yet it was just hanging from hook...no one bothered to fix?? the AC didn't work on arrival only because the filter hadn't been changed in years... we too found the walk (Tram & Boat could never be found) to the Palace every day for continental breakfast annoying...housekeeping was a joke, couldn't even clean crumbs off table...and not only were pools not open 24 hours, the adult pool was only open until 4PM...can't imagine why it matters, there's never a lifeguard anyway!
as a fellow Gold HH member, I think they couldn't have cared less...didn't even get that woven fan! the hotel was only at 49% capacity upon arrival, I'd hate to see it at 90%

have to think about where to stay next year!
Old Dec 9, 2005, 10:43 pm

Having stayed at HWV a few weeks ago I will add a few observations:

The fruit is a welcome back amenity and the fan is due to HHonors status (according to the attached notes).

I did not see the Kohala spa products on the executive level or in the suites.

In the past golds were not given access to lockers/sauna, but if you were upgraded to the executive level you received access because you had an executive level room (which appears to no longer be likely).
Old Dec 10, 2005, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by rwill11
did you get free wifi in the world club on the way over?
Yes In MSP and HNL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.