Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Link to International D1 Menus: https://deltaone.mydeltamenu.com/BOS-LHR/ (replace airport codes as appropriate)
Link to Domestic D1 Menus: https://pc2c.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-JFK/

Link to Delta Premium Select menus:
https://dps.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-ICN/
(replace airport codes as appropriate)

Current 2022 First Class meal service status -- [NOTE - all D1 flights, domestic and international, receive hot meal service]. FC meal service consists of plated meals (including hot options) between hubs and to/from most larger stations (exception stations listed below only receive cold meal box options) on flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM (scheduled). Pre-selection is available on routes with plated meal offerings, while it is not available on cold meal box routes. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM. Snack boxes are generally offered on redeye flights under 2300 miles. Meal service is not provided on flights under 900 miles.

Current exception stations where only cold meal boxes (with no pre-selection) are offered in FC on 900+ mile flights (both to and from station):
ABQ, AUA, EGE, ELP, EYW, GEG, IAD, JAC, MCI, OAK, PLS, PSC, PUJ, SAT, TUS, YYZ, YUL, YVR

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

​​​​Click Here for the 2021 Version of this thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Lancem504
Bos to Cdg in d1. I had the lamb shank, which was great. My wife had the pappardelle and enjoyed it. Breakfast was pretty good too.

that looks way better than the one I posted - mine was way over cooked. I guess I’ll give it another try! Was this outta Boston?
sspontak likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
that looks way better than the one I posted - mine was way over cooked. I guess I’ll give it another try! Was this outta Boston?
Yep out of BOS. She said the shrimp was just a little over cooked, but still very good.

The BOS preflight experience isn’t that good. They moved TATL flights to terminal E. E only has the Air France lounge. Also a few of the D1 seats on the A330-300 didn’t work, so people were moved. The flight attendants on this flights seemed stressed.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by CowGirlMoo
I selected the pappardelle with lobster bique. It was pretty good (but not great).

I has the pappardelle DTW-LHR on March 31 and it was completely dried out - basically baked, no sauce at all.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM
AMS-SEA in D1

Pre-selected the halibut entree, which was actually quite good. Not dry at all. Served with tomato risotto and braised salsify.

The pre-arrival meal was a choice between the burger and a salmon salad. I chose the burger despite seeing some recent negative reviews. Other than dripping with grease, it had an awesome flavor! Lots of cheese and caramelized onions.

Really friendly and attentive service from this SEA based crew.

sspontak likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by mot29
I has the pappardelle DTW-LHR on March 31 and it was completely dried out - basically baked, no sauce at all.
Just like mine… the one lance posted looked great! I asked an FA on my flight today as soon as he posted and she said the oven has 3 buttons basically and every dish is same time - so it may be getting overcooked at the central kitchen and not on the plane…?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
AMS-SEA in D1

Pre-selected the halibut entree, which was actually quite good. Not dry at all. Served with tomato risotto and braised salsify.

The pre-arrival meal was a choice between the burger and a salmon salad. I chose the burger despite seeing some recent negative reviews. Other than dripping with grease, it had an awesome flavor! Lots of cheese and caramelized onions.

Really friendly and attentive service from this SEA based crew.

lucky - my halibut was dry - it looks like a 737 in the uncropped pic so pretty sure it was from seattle

Old Apr 7, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Flight 805 PHX-ATL. Wasn't sure what to expect hearing reports of sad boxes and no meal selection email, and no PDB offered, but to my surprise there were hot meals! FAs offered a choice of ham and cheese quiche, chai oatmeal, or a fruit and cheese plate.

The ham and cheese quiche went quickly. I could not figure out a pattern as to how the FAs took orders - it wasn't FEBO or based on status (I was in 4J and will only have status after this flight credits). I picked the ham and cheese quiche - for those who don't eat pork or cheese, those are simply toppings and can be easily removed. The quiche itself was a little bland and the crust was a 'soggy bottom' and could have been much crisper. Fruit was a mix of orange, kiwi and grapefruit slices with pomegranate. The compote/marmalade was really good and I wish I had another roll for it.

Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by Vecturist14
Flight 805 PHX-ATL. Wasn't sure what to expect hearing reports of sad boxes and no meal selection email, and no PDB offered, but to my surprise there were hot meals! FAs offered a choice of ham and cheese quiche, chai oatmeal, or a fruit and cheese plate.

The ham and cheese quiche went quickly. I could not figure out a pattern as to how the FAs took orders - it wasn't FEBO or based on status (I was in 4J and will only have status after this flight credits). I picked the ham and cheese quiche - for those who don't eat pork or cheese, those are simply toppings and can be easily removed. The quiche itself was a little bland and the crust was a 'soggy bottom' and could have been much crisper. Fruit was a mix of orange, kiwi and grapefruit slices with pomegranate. The compote/marmalade was really good and I wish I had another roll for it.
They are still mostly running 763's between ATL and PHX.
My experience is that they generally don't follow FEBO, but seem to take orders down the A-B aisle first then do the C-D aisle.
When they don't follow FEBO, and my choice is gone, I kindly ask for miles instead of a meal, since I tend to eat in Sky Club prior to departure. You can get up to 15,000.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Vtp10
Upcoming trip to ORD from LGA.. what can I expect in First?
Originally Posted by arkangel
Just drinks and snacks, regardless of the time of day.
So are they using COVID as an opportunity to eliminate meals on this route permanently?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
They are still mostly running 763's between ATL and PHX.
My experience is that they generally don't follow FEBO, but seem to take orders down the A-B aisle first then do the C-D aisle.
When they don't follow FEBO, and my choice is gone, I kindly ask for miles instead of a meal, since I tend to eat in Sky Club prior to departure. You can get up to 15,000.
How did you get 15K for not following FEBO? I've had flights with no working IFE/broken seats comped at less than that.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium

ATL-PTY 4/7 Quiche was pretty good. Glad to see hot meals back.
sspontak likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by skydelt
How did you get 15K for not following FEBO? I've had flights with no working IFE/broken seats comped at less than that.
When a choice is missing, I simply ask what about the other choice (whether it be a box or plated meal)?
If they say it's already taken I say "I chose this seat based on FEBO ordering protocol so that I had all options to choose from. That's OK, I don't want either of the remaining choices."
Then they come back sometimes with a snack box offer and then I ask for miles instead. it worked 2x pre-pandemic, and again a couple weeks ago.

They have no control over a broken seat. But being called out for not following protocol is their fault, so I find they bend over backwards if I just act disappointed and not angry. Perhaps each time it was the flight leader who ended up awarding the 15k. I know once a different FA addressed the points than took the order. The other two times it was the same FA, who may have also been the flight leader.
hhdl and dtwlarry like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Michel et Augustin cookies back in first class basket!
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ljreinholt
I was warned (a month ago) by an FA, that non US stations would have this issue, Sad Boxes, instead of hot food, as it is taking longer to get their catering suppliers up and running
I think this was probably meant for domestic FC equipped international flights. Plenty of examples of D1 equipped international flights having hot food in PS, C+, and Y.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Not a Good Meal

Just wrapped up a 6 segment international trip, and overall I was satisfied with all the meals on the trip, except the final meal on the last segment, SEA-ANC. By far the worst meal and worst crew of the entire trip.

Choices were a Beef Brisket, Roasted Chicken, or Risotto with Brussels Sprouts.

I chose the risotto, and my husband chose the brisket. Both were inedible. My risotto was extremely dry, had more of a taste/texture of oatmeal, and the pumpkin was an odd addition. The Brussels sprouts were OK. Honestly a plate of them would’ve been better. The cheesecake was warm and soggy.

My husband’s brisket was dry and way over cooked. We had excellent brisket on one of our D1 flights and this was horrid in comparison.

The flight crew was ATL based and the flight leader performed the worst service in F I’ve seen since service resumed. No description of the dishes other than “beef, chicken, or risotto.” Also every passenger was met with a “Any food for you?” Eye rolls and sighs when each passenger replied yes.

Bottom line this crew was obviously burnt out and having a bad day. It didn’t help one F passenger boarded the plane obviously way too intoxicated to fly, and I was shocked we didn’t go back to the gate. About halfway in the flight he was removed from F and sent back to Y.

One refill of drinks offered, but no water passes or snack basket. Having had good service on the other five segments I can overlook this one and let it go, but if this was someone’s first or rare F experience, it was an absolute embarrassment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.