Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 21, 21, 11:18 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: xliioper
Wiki Link
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-...omestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*



For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 1, 20, 6:33 am
  #1696  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 11,276
Originally Posted by DLdweeb View Post
Did DFW-ATL last week in the AM in Comfort +. Nothing. No beer/wine/water or snacks. FAs seemed more intent on chatting with each other. Go figure.....
Sad. People keep defending DL but I just think they have sank so low that I avoid them as much as I can.
cmd320 likes this.
fly747first is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 7:41 am
  #1697  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Posts: 861
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
Sad. People keep defending DL but I just think they have sank so low that I avoid them as much as I can.
For someone who avoids them as much as I can, you sure do post on Deltas forum here a lot
DiverDave and ab2013 like this.
Pianoman109876 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 8:47 am
  #1698  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 14,014
Those flights where you got nothing you should report back... all cabins are supposed to get the 'snack bag' with the water etc.
krazykanuck likes this.
rylan is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 10:12 am
  #1699  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 12,809
Originally Posted by melissaru View Post
Interestingly, just flew VPS-ATL in FC and not only received the Cheez-Its bag, but so did all of economy. I've flown that route for a more than a decade and while service in FC is hit or miss, never before have I seen the main cabin served anything. Odd.
This is pretty consistent with the current offerings.

Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
Sad. People keep defending DL but I just think they have sank so low that I avoid them as much as I can.
From first to worst... the Delta 2020 story.
enviroian likes this.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 10:19 am
  #1700  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Posts: 355
It's clear that delta could care less about their elite members forking over top dollar for FC. A glance at Delta's Facebook feed shows tons of glowing comments of praise from non frequent flyers blown away by a bag of cheezits in economy! It's almost comical. Typical American strategy... Reduce service levels over time to program the population to expect and accept nothing. This has been seen in the hotel industry with club lounges either disappearing in the US or stripping them of f&b. These tactics don't work in Asia and Europeans are increasingly demanding enough is enough, but we just roll over and allow the decline to continue. 🤦🏼‍♂️
cmd320 likes this.
p100a is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 10:22 am
  #1701  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 12,809
Originally Posted by p100a View Post
It's clear that delta could care less about their elite members forking over top dollar for FC. A glance at Delta's Facebook feed shows tons of glowing comments of praise from non frequent flyers blown away by a bag of cheezits in economy! It's almost comical. Typical American strategy... Reduce service levels over time to program the population to expect and accept nothing. This has been seen in the hotel industry with club lounges either disappearing in the US or stripping them of f&b. These tactics don't work in Asia and Europeans are increasingly demanding enough is enough, but we just roll over and allow the decline to continue. 🤦🏼‍♂️
Exactly. It's clear right now DL is trying to cater to the Y crowd as much as possible. I'll only consider J travel on DL if lie-flats are involved, otherwise the experience in C+ and F differ very little.
p100a likes this.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 11:50 am
  #1702  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
Posts: 2,177
Originally Posted by p100a View Post
It's clear that delta could care less about their elite members forking over top dollar for FC. A glance at Delta's Facebook feed shows tons of glowing comments of praise from non frequent flyers blown away by a bag of cheezits in economy! It's almost comical. Typical American strategy... Reduce service levels over time to program the population to expect and accept nothing. This has been seen in the hotel industry with club lounges either disappearing in the US or stripping them of f&b. These tactics don't work in Asia and Europeans are increasingly demanding enough is enough, but we just roll over and allow the decline to continue. 🤦🏼‍♂️
Or most Americans understand a plane ticket is exactly that and a lukewarm beer or some mediocre food isn't that important.
DiverDave and ab2013 like this.
DLASflyer is online now  
Old Oct 1, 20, 12:17 pm
  #1703  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: VPS
Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Posts: 6,002
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
Sad. People keep defending DL but I just think they have sank so low that I avoid them as much as I can.
Everyones got a different decision matrix. Long ago I decided to put more weight on operational reliability and IRROPS recovery than short haul cabin service so Delta works for me.

I actually do hope all of the big four airlines come though the pandemic okay because they all do cater to somewhat different decision matrix groups
DenverBrian and DLASflyer like this.
beachmouse is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 12:41 pm
  #1704  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: MCO
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 3,899
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Exactly. It's clear right now DL is trying to cater to the Y crowd as much as possible. I'll only consider J travel on DL if lie-flats are involved, otherwise the experience in C+ and F differ very little.
What amazes me is that there are still many couples traveling together that are paying for F. On an upcoming flight out of MCO, I counted what appears to be 4 separate couples traveling together that paid for F according to the seat map. Why are any couples paying for F right now? If they would have purchased Y or C+, youd get mostly the same in-flight service and have more seat width than you would in F (assuming theres a middle seat) and the airfare would be half the cost.
cmd320 likes this.
MCO Flyer is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 1:03 pm
  #1705  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 12,809
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I actually do hope all of the big four airlines come though the pandemic okay because they all do cater to somewhat different decision matrix groups
I tend to disagree. While WN is obviously a bit different, AA, DL and UA are all equally meh with DL having previously been slightly more consistent. Now it just seems theyre consistently bad. WRT IRROPS though, I dont ever base my travel decision on something that happens about 5% of the time in my experience.

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
What amazes me is that there are still many couples traveling together that are paying for F. On an upcoming flight out of MCO, I counted what appears to be 4 separate couples traveling together that paid for F according to the seat map. Why are any couples paying for F right now? If they would have purchased Y or C+, youd get mostly the same in-flight service and have more seat width than you would in F (assuming theres a middle seat) and the airfare would be half the cost.
Ive noticed the same thing. Not really sure either personally. With that said, theres probably a lot of people out there who dont even realize the middles are blocked so perhaps its just leisure couples doing what they normally do, buying a pair of F seats.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 1:11 pm
  #1706  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 35,897
Originally Posted by p100a View Post
It's clear that delta could care less about their elite members forking over top dollar for FC. A glance at Delta's Facebook feed shows tons of glowing comments of praise from non frequent flyers blown away by a bag of cheezits in economy! It's almost comical. Typical American strategy... Reduce service levels over time to program the population to expect and accept nothing. This has been seen in the hotel industry with club lounges either disappearing in the US or stripping them of f&b. These tactics don't work in Asia and Europeans are increasingly demanding enough is enough, but we just roll over and allow the decline to continue. 🤦🏼‍♂️
This is why WN is so consistently ranked highly - someone with a smile serves you a little bag of something, and a beverage, with a smile. That's all you expect, and that's what you get. Throw an occasional free drink coupon into the mix, and "everyone loves it." You never didn't get your upgrade, you never had your seat assignment changed, or aircraft changed in a manner that materially affected your trip, you never paid for 2 bags of luggage, you never didn't get your first meal choice, there was never a catering error ... and so on, and so on.

"Roll over and allow the decline to continue?" What is the option? Fly private?
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 1:21 pm
  #1707  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 12,809
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
This is why WN is so consistently ranked highly - someone with a smile serves you a little bag of something, and a beverage, with a smile. That's all you expect, and that's what you get. Throw an occasional free drink coupon into the mix, and "everyone loves it." You never didn't get your upgrade, you never had your seat assignment changed, or aircraft changed in a manner that materially affected your trip, you never paid for 2 bags of luggage, you never didn't get your first meal choice, there was never a catering error ... and so on, and so on.
While thats great for WN, this is Delta. As a former DL F customer, in every instance I purchased F on DL (~80-90% of the time) I never once even considered WN. Ive flown WN exactly three times in my life and honestly, I dont see the overall value of the experience being any better than Spirit.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
"Roll over and allow the decline to continue?" What is the option? Fly private?
There is a lot of new interest at the private/fractional level and the whole area has been growing now for years.

With the way business is going now, I would expect a lot of people will take the option moving forward of just not traveling. When so many can just zoom into their meetings/conferences/etc., especially in the domestic market, moving forward even when travel is normalized, many will likely choose the alternative.

For international, I learned long ago to seek non-US airlines as the product is almost always better.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 1:36 pm
  #1708  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: VPS
Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Posts: 6,002
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
I WRT IRROPS though, I dont ever base my travel decision on something that happens about 5% of the time in my experience.
A lot of my travel days are outstation to outstation so I've come to value Delta's ability to minimize disruption on that day. I actually find that WN is a perfectly adequate coach experience for the most part but they're at the bottom of my list because they de-prioritize their outstations too much ad I've found myself sitting in Nashville for an extra hour and a half trying to get to PNS because, in the words of my scheduled pilot, 'they keep stealing my plane and sending it to Texas'.

But then I'm also the person who sometimes skips cabin beverage service in general because I don't want to be over-hydrated on a flight where the captain goes too heavy on the seatbelt sign, so we're well into agree to disagree territory from the start.
beachmouse is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 1:39 pm
  #1709  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: MCO
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 3,899
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Ive noticed the same thing. Not really sure either personally. With that said, theres probably a lot of people out there who dont even realize the middles are blocked so perhaps its just leisure couples doing what they normally do, buying a pair of F seats.
Its written almost all over DL.com and seat maps that middle seats are blocked until 1/6/2021 so its kind of hard to not realize this. These couples would be much better off just paying for C+ and they will get the same exact experience as they are getting in F, and will get more seat width as well. Sadly people like this are one of the main reasons why F still has terrible service these days. If people are giving DL more money for FC without providing anything substantial in return, why rush to go back to the old service protocols?
MCO Flyer is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 1:43 pm
  #1710  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 12,809
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
A lot of my travel days are outstation to outstation so I've come to value Delta's ability to minimize disruption on that day. I actually find that WN is a perfectly adequate coach experience for the most part but they're at the bottom of my list because they de-prioritize their outstations too much ad I've found myself sitting in Nashville for an extra hour and a half trying to get to PNS because, in the words of my scheduled pilot, 'they keep stealing my plane and sending it to Texas'.

But then I'm also the person who sometimes skips cabin beverage service in general because I don't want to be over-hydrated on a flight where the captain goes too heavy on the seatbelt sign, so we're well into agree to disagree territory from the start.
Ahh yes, outstation to outstation is something Im not well versed in.

As for the seatbelt sign issue, I usually check the weather on my phone really quick and if it looks fine Ill just go anyway. If the cabin crew ever gives an issue I give them the option of me peeing in the seat or the lav, their choice.
cmd320 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread