Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K

WN has cut all drinks/snacks on all flights. One of the few people planning to fly (CONUS only of course) next few weeks, and hope DL has no plans to do this in F. Any news/rumors here?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
WN has cut all drinks/snacks on all flights. One of the few people planning to fly (CONUS only of course) next few weeks, and hope DL has no plans to do this in F. Any news/rumors here?
**Update 3/25 North America, Latin America, and Carribean***
-No fresh flight fuel or comp meals in any cabin-

F/C - All Flights -individual water bottle and choice of snack on all flights.
F/C 900+ Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.

C+, M/C - 0-349 - No Service
C+, M/C - 350+ - individual water bottle and choice of snack on all flights.
C+, M/C - second service, supplies permitting.

ATL-HNL - no changes

-first flights of the day that were catered from another station and random flights may still have full supplies as catering adjusts.

***Previous Post***

Currently the modifications to F:
No pillows/blankets
No glassware/ no refilling glassware (new cups)
Snack Basket should be verbally offered and not presented

Been told we should find out early this week about additional changes to service. A wholesale cancellation of service is unlikely.
Xeno, mot29, DiverDave and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Flyer0889; Mar 24, 2020 at 5:49 pm
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Flyer0889
Currently the modifications to F:
No pillows/blankets
No glassware/ no refilling glassware (new cups)
Snack Basket should be verbally offered and not presented

Been told we should find out early this week about additional changes to service. A wholesale cancellation of service is unlikely.
Why are all these services still being offered in D1? I know someone who just returned from the U.K. in D1 on Thursday and I was told that the normal glassware, pillows, and blankets were offered. Why are these services discontinued in domestic F but not D1? I didn’t realize that COVID-19 doesn’t affect D1 glassware and pillows/blankets, but it does affect domestic F?
sassybritches likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Drink service is likely the least of your concerns as I suspect whatever flights you are booked on over next few weeks will probably not operate. The last minute cancellations are clearly snow-balling now and would expect this to continue. DL cancelled 27% of flights Saturday, 28% today, and are already at 37% for tomorrow (this number has been rising all day). Seeing similar numbers for the other US carriers. At this point if conditions continue to deteriorate I would not be surprised to see one or more carriers suspend all flying until the lockdowns end.
david55, nogophers and MCO Flyer like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Why are all these services still being offered in D1? I know someone who just returned from the U.K. in D1 on Thursday and I was told that the normal glassware, pillows, and blankets were offered. Why are these services discontinued in domestic F but not D1? I didnt realize that COVID-19 doesnt affect D1 glassware and pillows/blankets, but it does affect domestic F?
Glassware is discontinued on D1 as well. This change happened over the last several days. Blankets are discontinued domestically so the cleaners have more time to focus on disinfecting, not changing pillow cases and blankets. D1 has more cleaners/longer turns and the fogging machines.
MCO Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:43 pm

Glassware is discontinued on D1 as well. This change happened over the last several days. Blankets are discontinued domestically so the cleaners have more time to focus on disinfecting, not changing pillow cases and blankets. D1 has more cleaners/longer turns and the fogging machines.
Thanks, the changes must have taken affect happened after their flight (they said it was plastic only on the domestic leg)
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
Why are all these services still being offered in D1? I know someone who just returned from the U.K. in D1 on Thursday and I was told that the normal glassware, pillows, and blankets were offered. Why are these services discontinued in domestic F but not D1? I didnt realize that COVID-19 doesnt affect D1 glassware and pillows/blankets, but it does affect domestic F?
The pillows and blankets are always wrapped in plastic when you get to your seat. I assume they are cleaned before being sealed in the plastic.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by KKinLA
The pillows and blankets are always wrapped in plastic when you get to your seat. I assume they are cleaned before being sealed in the plastic.
Correct, but they are also sealed (at least the blankets) in domestic F as well. I was confused why they were removed in domestic F but not D1, but after the poster above responded to me, it made more sense to me.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:55 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
I flew D1 LAS-JFK last Monday (I used the last of my RUCs from last year and cleared 2 days in advance). There were no pillows, no duvets and no amenity kits. They had something for lunch that I didn't like, so I didn't order it. Service seemed sparse, but as I managed to sleep most of the ride it didn't matter very much.

My next trip would have been a return to LAS for the National Association of Broadcasters convention, but that has been canceled. I was going to go to Chicago for my 8 year old grandson's first holy communion the first weekend of May, but that has been canceled too (his Catholic elementary school is likely not to reopen this semester). So I don't have any travel plans and I'll just stay here. As far as status is concerned, I've got more than enough MQMs to make PM for 2021 and I've switched from the Delta Gold Amex to the Delta Reserve Amex, and they actually have counted all my spending with AMEX since January 1, meaning I've got $9k of the $25k spend taken care of. I'm like everyone else on here that is looking forward to a prolonged spell of warm weather so the virus will go away.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by xliioper
Drink service is likely the least of your concerns as I suspect whatever flights you are booked on over next few weeks will probably not operate. The last minute cancellations are clearly snow-balling now and would expect this to continue. DL cancelled 27% of flights Saturday, 28% today, and are already at 37% for tomorrow (this number has been rising all day). Seeing similar numbers for the other US carriers. At this point if conditions continue to deteriorate I would not be surprised to see one or more carriers suspend all flying until the lockdowns end.
Where does one go to see which flights have been cancelled. I fly tomorrow and Saturday and am doing dry runs on DL + EF which lag behind real time changes.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Cost cutting measure provided under the guise of health and safety
volabam and thestatuschaser like this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Flew UA F last week and found it interesting they are still using actual glassware in F (though every time you get a new drink they take the glass and replace it)
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xeno
Where does one go to see which flights have been cancelled. I fly tomorrow and Saturday and am doing dry runs on DL + EF which lag behind real time changes.
I was pulling numbers from Flightaware -- https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/. Don't know if it is any better than DL or EF. I assume they would be getting info from DL, so think it's unlikely it will be any better than DL. DL seems to be lagging AA and UA in cancelling flights as both of them have now cancelled 40%+ of tomorrow's flights while DL is still only showing 4% cancelled currently.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
Was told by a FA....IF you're traveling on an Endeavor flight....water only.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Platinum
Besides it's pretty lousy to sleep in the Delta One suite chair without the blanket and pillow set, the long turn around allows a full cleaning of the cabin anyway.

Domestic they would have to throw them in a bag pretty quickly and off the plane, so it's not worth it but it's also for cabin crew safety. But they'll likely return when this is over.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.