Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
So, this isn't at all why I take away from that. This is a combination of customer satisfaction scores from all passengers in all classes.

The translation I take away from this is that Y pax enjoy having middles empty while still paying roughly the same price to fly in Y. That makes a lot of sense and had DL decided to start blocking middles in Y in 2018 and charge the same prices as before, they would have seen the same customer satisfaction score increases then. Let's see what would happen to those scores if DL stopped blocking middles and otherwise maintained the same 'safety messaging' and marketing scheme. I'd guess they'd pretty much match the rest.
Would like to see responses from specific segments on these surveys, for example:

-Million milers
-Diamond Medallion
-Platinum Medallion
-Etc
cmd320 and GagaPilot like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by buckeye91
Would like to see responses from specific segments on these surveys, for example:

-Million milers
-Diamond Medallion
-Platinum Medallion
-Etc
Agreed. As well as a breakdown of premium cabin customers, premium transcon customers, etc.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb

-Million milers
-Diamond Medallion
-Platinum Medallion
-Etc
PL MM here ...
I am fine bringing my own coke on board.
Last week in FC on DTW-PHX I ate a wonderful Cobb Salad with shrimp. Best meal in FC I have ever had. From Cat Cora's place in DTW.

Also, I've lost track of all of the no fee changes I've made since March. Well into double digits, in fact double digits in the past 2 weeks alone.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:32 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life

-Million milers
-Diamond Medallion
-Platinum Medallion
-Etc
Delta is smart enough to follow the rule

Don't ask, don't tell
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:08 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aloha1
Unfortunately, my earlier request to stop the off topic discussion was ignored. We will take a 48 hour time out on this thread and return again Saturday.

Thanks!

Ryandc99 Moderator Delta Air Lines

Ryan: With respect, Since DL is using the virus as a reason to not provide standard service on flights, it is impossible to not to some degree reference the virus in posts. What are your suggestions?
I agree that it is impossible to not reference the virus in posts. However when the posts devolve into a debate into masks and if they do or do not protect against the COVID19, that is not going to be permitted. That then leads to a political debate, and things go off the rails.

Certainly the entire reason we have a thread on this topic is due to COVID 19, so we can't ignore that. What is important is that things don't go off the rails into personal fighting and bickering as we have seen on this (and many other threads). As volunteer mods, we have to spend a lot of time cleaning up these posts with the similar debates every single time. That is why as of late we have employed a "time out" policy as that seems to de-escalate the arguing quite well.

Hope that helps,
Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
United747 and GagaPilot like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:14 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Proactive offer of water, beer, or wine on MSP-ORD tonight. Washed down my to-go kind bar from the SkyClub with a Sweetwater IPA
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ryandc99
I agree that it is impossible to not reference the virus in posts. However when the posts devolve into a debate into masks and if they do or do not protect against the COVID19, that is not going to be permitted. That then leads to a political debate, and things go off the rails.

Certainly the entire reason we have a thread on this topic is due to COVID 19, so we can't ignore that. What is important is that things don't go off the rails into personal fighting and bickering as we have seen on this (and many other threads). As volunteer mods, we have to spend a lot of time cleaning up these posts with the similar debates every single time. That is why as of late we have employed a "time out" policy as that seems to de-escalate the arguing quite well.

Hope that helps,
Ryandc99
Agreed, I tend to like the "time out policy" strategy first to try and de-escalate a thread rather than permanently closing it immediately. Understandably there are times when immediate closure is warranted, but I like the idea of a temporary closure when circumstances allow.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL DM

-Million milers
-Diamond Medallion
-Platinum Medallion
-Etc
Exactly. I think a breakdown of surveys by status would paint quite a different picture. I have a flight coming up on AS later this week and I'm interested to compare the Y offerings to DL.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 3:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Has anyone flown premium select recently to/from Europe? My family and I are moving back to the US from Europe at the end of the year and we have several KLM vouchers we want to burn. Trying to max them out to allow for us to fly PS on Delta but wanted to see if anyone has flown PS recently to see if the service has been enhanced at all since they stripped the service for COVID.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by United747
Proactive offer of water, beer, or wine on MSP-ORD tonight. Washed down my to-go kind bar from the SkyClub with a Sweetwater IPA
Hmmm, hopefully I get that same flight crew on my MSP-MKE trip on Friday!
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by ryandc99

Hope that helps,
Ryandc99
I appreciate the reply and understood.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Last week in FC on DTW-PHX I ate a wonderful Cobb Salad with shrimp. Best meal in FC I have ever had. From Cat Cora's place in DTW..
Thanks for the tip. I've been grabbing wraps at Plum Market but the shrimp cobb sounds delish!

And as a DM and 2.5MM , I see no reason why DL cannot provide a fully stocked bar cart in FC along with food. After all, the FA's are still handing beer and wine, snack boxes, etc. so give me a real reason why they can't offer more?
cmd320 and GagaPilot like this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Thanks for the tip. I've been grabbing wraps at Plum Market but the shrimp cobb sounds delish!

And as a DM and 2.5MM , I see no reason why DL cannot provide a fully stocked bar cart in FC along with food. After all, the FA's are still handing beer and wine, snack boxes, etc. so give me a real reason why they can't offer more?
The fact is that (1) they can offer more, and (2) they don't offer more. As to the "real reason," they've been hashed out ad vomitum.

The further fact is that as an occasional PM and now a GM, with years to go before my first MM on DL, the amount of status has no relevance as to seeing a reason or not. In further further fact, the nobody who buys a paid F ticket should have as much, if not more, right to a fully stocked bar cart in FC along with food.

The further further further fact is that there is no secret what accoutrements one encounters these days in a plush DL front cabin seat. Clear on the website, clear on the reservation, clear as can be on Flyertalk. DL chooses not to provide a superior soft product at the present time. Pay and fly DL, knowing how it is, or pay another airline and fly that airline.

There's no reason that airlines can't provide a delicious three course meal between the Bay Area and Pacific Northwest, with a choice of delicious wines and spirits. However, they cut that out about 25 years ago. Yes, "we" ate better on a sub-700 mile flight in 1990 than we did on a transcon in 2019. There's no reason that airlines can't serve shattow breeand from a cart along with a nice red bored-o, but they don't.

I look forward to something more than füd in upcoming days on a DL flight, and trust it will be there again soon. If not, I can take solace in recalling fine fine 3 cabin F service on the competition, such as when AA serves some dried meatloaf on a premium transcon route, served by an FA who would rather spend 5 hours in the galley doing whatever FAs do in the galley for all that time.

Taz, Zorak and dtwlarry like this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

Delta has made it clear they are only currently interested in economy class customers. If they can sell a few F seats while they're at it, great, but they're making no money with 50% full F cabins.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Delta has made it clear they are only currently interested in economy class customers. If they can sell a few F seats while they're at it, great, but they're making no money with 50% full F cabins.
The flight I was on today wasn't even 50% full in F. MEX-LAX. I was in comfort which was maxed out with middle seat empty.
cmd320 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.