Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread 2022 Edition

Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Link to International D1 Menus: https://deltaone.mydeltamenu.com/BOS-LHR/ (replace airport codes as appropriate)
Link to Domestic D1 Menus: https://pc2c.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-JFK/

Link to Delta Premium Select menus:
https://dps.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-ICN/
(replace airport codes as appropriate)

Current 2022 First Class meal service status -- [NOTE - all D1 flights, domestic and international, receive hot meal service]. FC meal service consists of plated meals (including hot options) between hubs and to/from most larger stations (exception stations listed below only receive cold meal box options) on flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM (scheduled). Pre-selection is available on routes with plated meal offerings, while it is not available on cold meal box routes. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM. Snack boxes are generally offered on redeye flights under 2300 miles. Meal service is not provided on flights under 900 miles.

Current exception stations where only cold meal boxes (with no pre-selection) are offered in FC on 900+ mile flights (both to and from station):
ABQ, AUA, EGE, ELP, EYW, GEG, IAD, JAC, MCI, OAK, PLS, PSC, PUJ, SAT, TUS, YYZ, YUL, YVR

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

​​​​Click Here for the 2021 Version of this thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread 2022 Edition

Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:13 pm
  #646  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold
Posts: 256
For mainline u900 flights (BNA-LGA for example), is it just the typical snack basket or do they do the bistro boxes?
skydelt is offline  
Old Apr 21, 2022, 4:24 pm
  #647  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: London/JAX
Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Wyndham Gold, GE/CLEAR
Posts: 906
Originally Posted by skydelt
For mainline u900 flights (BNA-LGA for example), is it just the typical snack basket or do they do the bistro boxes?
Snack basket
coke cans and winglets is offline  
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:59 pm
  #648  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Programs: DL GM/Hilton Gold
Posts: 31

Yesterday, I flew ALB>DTW>SEA>SFO(4/20/22), and I was totally expecting a sad box for my DTW>SEA segment and was pleasantly surprised. Chicken with some kind of cream sauce, with sweet potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, and olives. The salad dressing was really good! The cherry panna cotta was fine. Wine glass kept full.

I don't know, maybe it just seemed so good since I haven't had a hot meal up in the air since February 2020. I wasn't even mad there wasn't bread!

Fantastic crew too which also joined me on the next segment through to SFO.
andyandy, sspontak, hurnik and 3 others like this.
Webogirl is offline  
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:46 am
  #649  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
DL518 SEA-BOS B737-800
4/20/22
Meal: Breakfast
PDB: No
FEBO: Yes

I went for the Smoked Salmon Plate which was a pre-select only option and it was very good. I really liked the selection of cheeses they served.

sspontak likes this.
hobbseltoff is offline  
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:57 pm
  #650  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 205
Originally Posted by gavinpquinn
I've been flying pretty exclusively Delta First class for the last 10 years (except overseas I try to use Emirates, Qatar, Singapore, etc.).

I used to really enjoy first class:
- Nice / pleasant service (people would smile).
- Welcome drink on the plane
- Wine in bottles with GLASSES
- Snack baskets
- Hot meals (even if they weren't good, they tried)
- Silverware
- Placemats
- Mugs for hot coffee
- Separate service to select breads / buns / butter
- Multiple rounds of refreshments, and generally a good attitude by flight attendants.

NOW:
- Nothing on the ground.
- If "it's not too bumpy" the FA's come by and drop a cold box of gross sandwiches (if you are lucky) 45 minutes into the flight, and ask for drink orders.
- 30 minutes later if you are lucky, you get a glass of wine in a plastic cup.
- 5 minutes later they take away the boxes.
- The entire remainder of the flight they disappear and play games on their phones.
- If you are assertive, you may be able to walk up and ask for a refill of bad wine.

For the difference in cost from coach -> first class of usually $500-$700, you would think you could get a decent meal, a napkin, a glass cup, or something more than the 3" of additional legroom.

I am truly sorry that some passengers have been rude, and perhaps there is a worker shortage, and all sorts of issues. But it's honestly like they just stopped trying all together.

And NONE of these service items are related to COVID. It's quite clear that the virus does not spread on food, or glass cups more than plastic cups.

Sadly, there still isn't much better of an option, so I'll keep paying full prices for very sad service.
First Class fares on Delta are now even more than $500-700 over Coach... like even over $1000 more over a ridiculous Coach price for JAX-LAS this year. $2342 for a roundtrip JAX-LAS in First? Are you serious? Who would pay that (even booking many months in advance) ? Not me. I'm used to paying in the $1000 range for JAX-LAS in First on AA.
hurnik likes this.
BobOscar is offline  
Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:12 pm
  #651  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Posts: 1,136
LGA-MSP (Breakfast)

Our flight leader introduced herself to the entire FC cabin on the ground. She gave us the entire menu (verbally), as well as the entire drink menu.
No PDB but she took both drink and food orders before pushing back from gate.

Choices are:
-Overnight Oats with Pistachios and Cherry Compote (COLD)
-Cacio e Pepe Baked Eggs (previously served on Domestic D1 breakfast and International D1 pre-arrival meal)
-Bacon, Egg, and Cheese on an English Muffin

I got the Baked Egg which is more like a giant egg bite from Starbucks. But it actually does taste like cacio e Pepe. It came with hash browns, decent fruit (no melon, thank GOD), and a pound cake like bread with a side of cinnamon-butter and candied orange peel.

The tray came with a card saying it was catered by Union Square Hospitality, which I thought was interesting since I thought they only did JFK meals. Food was proper temperature, tasty, and perfect for a short breakfast flight. One pass of snack basket and two passes of water bottles with tray of biscoff.



Pianoman109876 is offline  
Old Apr 22, 2022, 5:50 pm
  #652  
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 1
Hi all, traveling next Saturday DL1865 LAX - PVR and wondering if i'll get a hot meal or will it be the box? Thank you!
TCinPS is offline  
Old Apr 22, 2022, 8:09 pm
  #653  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, UA Silver, EI Silver
Posts: 2,041
Originally Posted by gavinpquinn
I've been flying pretty exclusively Delta First class for the last 10 years (except overseas I try to use Emirates, Qatar, Singapore, etc.).

I used to really enjoy first class:
- Nice / pleasant service (people would smile).
- Welcome drink on the plane
- Wine in bottles with GLASSES
- Snack baskets
- Hot meals (even if they weren't good, they tried)
- Silverware
- Placemats
- Mugs for hot coffee
- Separate service to select breads / buns / butter
- Multiple rounds of refreshments, and generally a good attitude by flight attendants.

NOW:
- Nothing on the ground.
- If "it's not too bumpy" the FA's come by and drop a cold box of gross sandwiches (if you are lucky) 45 minutes into the flight, and ask for drink orders.
- 30 minutes later if you are lucky, you get a glass of wine in a plastic cup.
- 5 minutes later they take away the boxes.
- The entire remainder of the flight they disappear and play games on their phones.
- If you are assertive, you may be able to walk up and ask for a refill of bad wine.

For the difference in cost from coach -> first class of usually $500-$700, you would think you could get a decent meal, a napkin, a glass cup, or something more than the 3" of additional legroom.

I am truly sorry that some passengers have been rude, and perhaps there is a worker shortage, and all sorts of issues. But it's honestly like they just stopped trying all together.

And NONE of these service items are related to COVID. It's quite clear that the virus does not spread on food, or glass cups more than plastic cups.

Sadly, there still isn't much better of an option, so I'll keep paying full prices for very sad service.
Hear Hear! I missed your original post until it was quoted today. I feel the same.

It's not that one expects Michelin-star cuisine in the air, but for people who have no option but to commute regularly, with some trips beginning after a full work day, and who want to make it just that bit more pleasant, and are willing to pay for F, DL is really falling short, under the guise of "health and safety".

With the sad boxes and pigs feeding at the trough out of paper and plastic, I just gave up. Last year I opted for AA which was doing just a bit better in that area. Of course, yes, schedule is the most important thing, but when it's much of a muchness schedule-wise, these things matter:

* proper glassware
* proper silverware made of metal
* hot food in crockery
* NOT a bloody sandwich and a bag of chips. Who eats this crap?

I'm not a PDB person but I can see that as important, too. Just bring them back already. I took a flight in F this month, thinking "normal" service had returned and was faced with a nasty bistro box which I declined. It's really unacceptable, and I'm back to AA again. Not that it's perfect, but it IS objectively better than DL's miserable offerings.
NotHamSarnie is offline  
Old Apr 22, 2022, 9:30 pm
  #654  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 11,970
Just flew AUS SLC in F. Only the dreaded boxes were available. The Flight Leader apologized for such poor meals considering the length of the flight and his service was consistently outstanding.
fly747first is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2022, 10:30 am
  #655  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 700
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Hear Hear! I missed your original post until it was quoted today. I feel the same.

It's not that one expects Michelin-star cuisine in the air, but for people who have no option but to commute regularly, with some trips beginning after a full work day, and who want to make it just that bit more pleasant, and are willing to pay for F, DL is really falling short, under the guise of "health and safety".

With the sad boxes and pigs feeding at the trough out of paper and plastic, I just gave up. Last year I opted for AA which was doing just a bit better in that area. Of course, yes, schedule is the most important thing, but when it's much of a muchness schedule-wise, these things matter:

* proper glassware
* proper silverware made of metal
* hot food in crockery
* NOT a bloody sandwich and a bag of chips. Who eats this crap?

I'm not a PDB person but I can see that as important, too. Just bring them back already. I took a flight in F this month, thinking "normal" service had returned and was faced with a nasty bistro box which I declined. It's really unacceptable, and I'm back to AA again. Not that it's perfect, but it IS objectively better than DL's miserable offerings.
AAs policy is literally no hot meals on flights under 1500 miles. It certainly isnt better.
TXguy is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:31 am
  #656  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: msp
Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 798
TPA-MSP dinner

Roasted veggies and couscous (hot), sweet potato salad, blueberry cheesecake

Cold plate - grilled chicken, veggies, black rice, pineapple with herbs, blueberry cheesecake

The new coffee cups were oddly small but first world problems!


curl is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2022, 4:21 pm
  #657  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, UA Silver, EI Silver
Posts: 2,041
Originally Posted by TXguy
AAs policy is literally no hot meals on flights under 1500 miles. It certainly isnt better.
They have salads served on crockery with silverware and sides - crackers, veggies, hummus, and a dessert. It's not wonderful but it feels like a meal not a muzzle bag.
NotHamSarnie is offline  
Old Apr 24, 2022, 7:14 am
  #658  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: London/JAX
Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Wyndham Gold, GE/CLEAR
Posts: 906
Originally Posted by TXguy
AAs policy is literally no hot meals on flights under 1500 miles. It certainly isnt better.
I mean their cold meals are plated for 900-1500 at least and the two cold meals I had on them (breakfast granola and cobb salad) weren't bad. At the end of the day though it's still a cold meal it's just presented better than DL's sad boxes. In my opinion though, it's still completely lipstick on a pig.
coke cans and winglets is offline  
Old Apr 24, 2022, 7:24 am
  #659  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,666
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
They have salads served on crockery with silverware and sides - crackers, veggies, hummus, and a dessert. It's not wonderful but it feels like a meal not a muzzle bag.
Not defending DELTA"s sad boxes because they were cheap, but AA's First Class Turkey Sandwich were gross and inexcusable, though they were presented nicely so there is something to say for that.
kmersh is offline  
Old Apr 24, 2022, 7:52 am
  #660  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Posts: 1,136
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
I mean their cold meals are plated for 900-1500 at least and the two cold meals I had on them (breakfast granola and cobb salad) weren't bad. At the end of the day though it's still a cold meal it's just presented better than DL's sad boxes. In my opinion though, it's still completely lipstick on a pig.
six of one, half a dozen of the other, I suppose.

AA: cold plated on 900-1500
DL: cold OR hot plated on 900+, increasingly rare boxed meals (which are like AAs cold meals just not plated).

I guess Id just as soon take the gamble on DL. But thats just me.
Pianoman109876 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.