Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Link to International D1 Menus: https://deltaone.mydeltamenu.com/BOS-LHR/ (replace airport codes as appropriate)
Link to Domestic D1 Menus: https://pc2c.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-JFK/

Link to Delta Premium Select menus:
https://dps.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-ICN/
(replace airport codes as appropriate)

Current 2022 First Class meal service status -- [NOTE - all D1 flights, domestic and international, receive hot meal service]. FC meal service consists of plated meals (including hot options) between hubs and to/from most larger stations (exception stations listed below only receive cold meal box options) on flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM (scheduled). Pre-selection is available on routes with plated meal offerings, while it is not available on cold meal box routes. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM. Snack boxes are generally offered on redeye flights under 2300 miles. Meal service is not provided on flights under 900 miles.

Current exception stations where only cold meal boxes (with no pre-selection) are offered in FC on 900+ mile flights (both to and from station):
ABQ, AUA, EGE, ELP, EYW, GEG, IAD, JAC, MCI, OAK, PLS, PSC, PUJ, SAT, TUS, YYZ, YUL, YVR

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

​​​​Click Here for the 2021 Version of this thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:43 pm
viz

Programs: DL DM, AC 75K, NEXUS, Bonvoy Platinum
SEA-JFK D1, 757-200

GA in the jetway offered a choice of pastry to every single person as they were boarding (banana loaf, cinnamon roll, or brownie) and then did another round in the FC cabin after boarding. Pre-set waters with thank you notes and a large sealed cup of grapes at each seat. Amenity kit -- the old soft-side Tumi ones with Le Labo items rather than the newer "sustainable" ones. New (non-Westin) bedding.

Lunch I went with the "chicken with potatoes". The presentation was a little off but it actually tasted great, if a bit greasy. Many Diamonds flying today, and great service on this Sunday midday flight. And I really enjoyed the pre-departure fruit and thought it was a great touch.

Carfield and Pianoman109876 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:44 pm

LGA-DEN in First. No PDB. Similar three options - impossible meatballs, Moroccan chicken, and beef short ribs. Short ribs were quite tasty and service was great.

Edit: should have noted that it came with a nice goat cheese salad and cheesecake

Last edited by rdukrk; Mar 28, 2022 at 6:45 am
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Tried searching but not using the right keywords. Upgraded to FC specifically to get dinner as it was a later flight. Flight got delayed and the reboarding time looked like they didn't load catering/food. Flight takes off and they served some drinks once in FC and claimed turbulence stopped any further drink or food services. I'd like to say that was true but my following 3 segments had actual turbulence and still they managed to get service done. Besides a whopping 15k miles for what was a $300 x2 upgrade anyone know how to react?
Old Mar 28, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by cubeman
Tried searching but not using the right keywords. Upgraded to FC specifically to get dinner as it was a later flight. Flight got delayed and the reboarding time looked like they didn't load catering/food. Flight takes off and they served some drinks once in FC and claimed turbulence stopped any further drink or food services. I'd like to say that was true but my following 3 segments had actual turbulence and still they managed to get service done. Besides a whopping 15k miles for what was a $300 x2 upgrade anyone know how to react?
That's the problem - if they claim "turbulence" they can get away with anything; you're not technically entitled to anything. They'll say the 15K was a "customer Service gesture" and that's it.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: DL PM; AA EXP
ATL-SJU Breakfast 3/19/22

Originally Posted by SwerveDonkey
I did SJU-JFK 2 weeks ago and struck out then (Sounded like a catering issuing in SJU so this might have been an anomaly). I have two 2000+ mile trips out of MSP coming up so hoping for an improvement.
Breakfast served on 3/19 ATL-SJU. I had the quiche with bagel and fruit salad and all was good. Return on 3/25 SJU-ATL dinner was 4 options (even lead FA was surprised at 4 options). I failed to take a pic, but the mushroom ravioli was good. Other options were spinach ravioli, chicken breast with wild rice (kids loved it) and a fourth option I don't recall.

Just FYI that the 1500+ mile routes to Caribbean (ATL-SJU is listed at 1549 miles if I recall correctly) are getting full meal service as of at least 3/19/2022.
Carfield likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
expiring food?

Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
That's the problem - if they claim "turbulence" they can get away with anything; you're not technically entitled to anything. They'll say the 15K was a "customer Service gesture" and that's it.
If you're flying from an outstation to a hub, the flight may have been double-catered, so if it's delayed enough, the food can expire.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb
KOA-LAX; 3/26/22 (redeye)

FEBO observed, real glassware and good ol' bamboo in the cold boxed meals...

3 Choices (as horribly described by seemingly tired FA):
* Chicken/kale salad or something
* Salmon with like a dill sauce
* Mediterranean (no further details)

I chose 'Mediterranean' which ended up being label and presented as a Mezze dish with packaged flatbread and very petite, super cold blondie brownie again. Drinks were flipped (one with soda and one with Sprite and served opposite), She noted they double cater LAX-KOA-LAX and hot meals are only LAX-KOA whereby KOA-LAX is all cold.. Delta needs to come up with a better term than dinner then for that leg... Had 2 bites then it was lights out for the short hop 4:39 to LAX..

Carfield likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:09 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Most of us are not Millennials, nor are we down with "avant guarde' cuisine. Eddie, bring back regular real food and save the rest for the dogs.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by owtrspace
KOA-LAX; 3/26/22 (redeye)

FEBO observed, real glassware and good ol' bamboo in the cold boxed meals...

3 Choices (as horribly described by seemingly tired FA):
* Chicken/kale salad or something
* Salmon with like a dill sauce
* Mediterranean (no further details)

I chose 'Mediterranean' which ended up being label and presented as a Mezze dish with packaged flatbread and very petite, super cold blondie brownie again. Drinks were flipped (one with soda and one with Sprite and served opposite), She noted they double cater LAX-KOA-LAX and hot meals are only LAX-KOA whereby KOA-LAX is all cold.. Delta needs to come up with a better term than dinner then for that leg... Had 2 bites then it was lights out for the short hop 4:39 to LAX..

Suspect the meal box service is due to red-eye 9:30 PM departure. The red-eyes less than 2300 miles (the majority of continental US red-eyes) don't get any meal service as they are below service threshold and the ones over 2300 miles probably don't have too many people interested in eating as most people just seem to want to go to sleep.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold
Flying out of MEX tomorrow to ATL it's an outstation but also an AM hub, should I expect a hot meal?
Old Mar 29, 2022, 2:22 pm

In comparing a FC and D1 route option - both are over 900 miles, but both leave after 10pm local time (and arrive before 7am local time). The D1 flight claims to include "dinner" but will it actually? SFO-ATL (under 2300 miles) vs SFO-JFK (over 2300 miles)
Old Mar 29, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
In comparing a FC and D1 route option - both are over 900 miles, but both leave after 10pm local time (and arrive before 7am local time). The D1 flight claims to include "dinner" but will it actually? SFO-ATL (under 2300 miles) vs SFO-JFK (over 2300 miles)
Domestic D1 always includes meals now.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Domestic D1 always includes meals now.
I had a D1 red-eye that did not include a meal but this was almost 4 months ago LAX-JFK. They aren't doing meals in FC after 10pm I know as I do that. The D1 ticket says "MEAL SERVICE FULL DETAILS" and lists dinner but until you buy that ticket and view it I dunno if it will as the details just looks like advertising compared to the ticket saying "Snacks, Dinner, Snacks"

Last edited by cubeman; Mar 29, 2022 at 3:12 pm
Old Mar 29, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aloha1
Most of us are not Millennials, nor are we down with "avant guarde' cuisine. Eddie, bring back regular real food and save the rest for the dogs.
Uh, nothing presented here is exactly elBulli.

Also, millennials now make up the largest segment of the working age population https://www.purdueglobal.edu/educati...s-infographic/
Old Mar 29, 2022, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
LGA-FLL last Saturday brought a big surprise in the form of a hot dinner.

A choice was offered between Moroccan chicken and short ribs but we as usual "always take the chicken."

Carfield, ceebee100 and boss315 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.