Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Link to International D1 Menus: https://deltaone.mydeltamenu.com/BOS-LHR/ (replace airport codes as appropriate)
Link to Domestic D1 Menus: https://pc2c.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-JFK/

Link to Delta Premium Select menus:
https://dps.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-ICN/
(replace airport codes as appropriate)

Current 2022 First Class meal service status -- [NOTE - all D1 flights, domestic and international, receive hot meal service]. FC meal service consists of plated meals (including hot options) between hubs and to/from most larger stations (exception stations listed below only receive cold meal box options) on flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM (scheduled). Pre-selection is available on routes with plated meal offerings, while it is not available on cold meal box routes. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM. Snack boxes are generally offered on redeye flights under 2300 miles. Meal service is not provided on flights under 900 miles.

Current exception stations where only cold meal boxes (with no pre-selection) are offered in FC on 900+ mile flights (both to and from station):
ABQ, AUA, EGE, ELP, EYW, GEG, IAD, JAC, MCI, OAK, PLS, PSC, PUJ, SAT, TUS, YYZ, YUL, YVR

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

​​​​Click Here for the 2021 Version of this thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Old Oct 8, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: DL PM
Any insight/experience for domestic FC breakfast/lunch/dinner offerings out of JFK to PBI/FLL/MIA?
Old Oct 8, 2022, 4:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by pharmflyer

Sorry for the orientation. Currently in flight JFK-KEF in Y and this was the meal. Some sort of chicken sandwich or a cheese plate. I’m not picky so I still ate it all, but man this was bad…thank god there were *two* slices of apple to make up for it…my fiancé got the cheese plate which looked (and tasted) way better. I knew it was a short flight but I guess I was expecting a hot meal. Oh well hahaha
Assume this is the Flight Fuel option on 1500+ mile flights? I’m booked to SEA next month in C+ so maybe I’ll give the cheese a try.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Next week lunch selection SAN - MSP:

1) Korean BBQ Spice Impossible Burger (with mushrooms, etc)

2) Chilled Spice Chicken Breast

3) Chilled Spice Shrimp

Whats up with all the "SPICE" ? Not impressed with these selections!
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's a synonym for "flavored" and doesn't actually mean the food will be spicy.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by findark
It's a synonym for "flavored" and doesn't actually mean the food will be spicy.
Nevertheless, it would be good to specify what are the spice(s) for each menu choice. Also, not everyone wants to eat something spice(y) when traveling. Shouldn't Dl offer some UNspiced choice on every flight? It's already the case that there seem to be at least one or two vegan/vegetarian choices for every meal.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta DM, Delta Reserve, Singapore Silver, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Did I miss something or did Delta eliminate references to meal service on flights over 900 miles off their food and beverage page?
https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/...erage/overview

The only service listed is for flights over 251+ miles and the food/beverage site only says: "Customers flying in Delta One or First Class on select domestic coast-to-coast flights will also have hot food options."
This sounds like a rollback to pre-March.

On the First Class page it lists: "On flights with 900-2,299 miles, enjoy a chef-curated breakfast on departures for 5AM to 9:45AM flights, lunch on 9:46AM to 3:59PM flights, dinner on 4PM to 8:59PM flights, and a selection of snacks." But the page also says: "
Fresh First Class meal boxes available on flights with 900+ miles."

It seems like removal of references to hot meals have mostly been removed.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
MCO-SEA - DL 307 - 6 Oct

A little bummed this flight equipment swapped from the A321Neo to a 757 a few weeks before the flight, so I didn't get to try out the new aircraft. Both meals appeared to be round-trip catered from Seattle via the inbound, as evidenced by the Bell's cookie; I suspect that Florida catering is still not recovered from Hurricane Ian. So the service failure you're about to read about may be partially due to that, in fairness to Delta.

Braised Beef Short Rib
with butternut squash and sage risotto, wilted rainbow Swiss chard, and roasted figs. Served with a side salad of burrata, candied sweet potatoes, harissa, cashews, and micro greens.

This was.. pretty good! Would definitely order again, and I'm not usually a plane-beef kind of guy. The short rib was actually tasty and the portion size was about right. The chard and risotto both made a decent accompaniment; maybe the risotto was a little Ben's Original grade rice, but in general this dish worked. I'm not a fan of sweet potatoes so only my partner ordered this meal, but fortunately when it arrived the sweet potatoes were on the side and didn't affect the flavor of the burrata.

Chicken Breast Salad
with Asian slaw, cucumber, cilantro, broccoli, green onion, shredded carrot, toasted almonds and edamame. Served with a side of pineapple with togarashi.

This was a pretty basic meal; kind of like someone upended a Taylor Farms Asian Salad Kit into a bowl and added a few pieces of Costco rotisserie chicken. This is not a bad thing - I eat essentially this meal on a regular basis at home. The various accompaniments really needed a little bit more knifework done, IMHO; I ended up sawing the whole thing apart and mixing it up, which ended up a little messy, but the end result was tasty. The dressing wasn't spicy - just a sweet fusion sauce, again similar to a grocery store salad kit. The whole thing was cold; only having one warm option for a dinner meal is kind of a continuing frustration with Delta's current meal options, IMHO, but this was about as good as you're going to get with a chilled option.

The pineapple, on the other hand, apparently had Special Togarashi(tm) seasoning... when I went to try it, I speared a piece of pineapple and surprised a few drunken fruit flies who were buried in the dish, who flew out at me. I got to play whack-a-fly on the side drink table. Lovely.

When brought to the F/A's attention, they politely and quietly swapped out my side for a spare of the burrata that was Drosophila-free; to be honest, I expected some sort of additional service recovery for bugs in my meal as well as a promise to write it up so the caterer could address the issue, or at least a heartfelt apology; shrugging it off is pretty par for the course these days though, I guess. (The sides arrive covered in aluminum foil, so it seems highly likely the fruit flies were "packed in" at the catering kitchen in Seattle.)

So, uh, if you pick this one, watch for extra protein. I mean, y'all were complaining about the Impossible dishes not being real meat, so I guess Delta's giving you what you wanted?
I cannot speak to all caters at MCO, but catering resumed at Flying Food Group on Saturday as I passed their building on Hazeltine National and saw their trucks heading to MCO.

My wife flew on UA on Saturday from MCO and had a locally catered meal.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by lucycan
Next week lunch selection SAN - MSP:

1) Korean BBQ Spice Impossible Burger (with mushrooms, etc)

2) Chilled Spice Chicken Breast

3) Chilled Spice Shrimp

Whats up with all the "SPICE" ? Not impressed with these selections!
I'll let you know how the impossible budget and chicken are in a couple of days. Honestly delta is out of control with its menus. I can see putting one oddball item on a menu to test what new things people like, but they are doing entire menus of experimental items. What is worse is they don't load enough onto the plane so if you don't pre order you are stuck with 0 choice and end up with something completely inedible. Impossible anything isn't nice. Chicken doesn't do well cold unless it was poached gently, which I'm guessing it won't have been. Shrimp is obviously going to be a disaster since it is only good when prepared well.

Last edited by flyerfirsts; Oct 9, 2022 at 9:19 pm
Old Oct 9, 2022, 9:43 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
I'll let you know how the impossible budget and chicken are in a couple of days. Honestly delta is out of control with its menus. I can see putting one oddball item on a menu to test what new things people like, but they are doing entire menus of experimental items. What is worse is they don't load enough onto the plane so if you don't pre order you are stuck with 0 choice and end up with something completely inedible. Impossible anything isn't nice. Chicken doesn't do well cold unless it was poached gently, which I'm guessing it won't have been. Shrimp is obviously going to be a disaster since it is only good when prepared well.
Unfortunately (at least to me) this menu is the menu for lunch options at ALMOST all stations DL is serving plated meals domestically. There are exceptions (I know DTW has some different options for lunch), but I have had these choices on almost all my lunch flights for the last month.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:42 pm

ATL-SAN

Was given no choice, as they ran out chicken about halfway through taking orders and by the time they got to me they ran out of the fish too. The FA said I should have pre-selected online, so apparently it's my fault DL sucks at loading enough meals, and she also said I could pay for a sandwich from coach as an alternative. I would get that if they presented me with all 3 options and I didn't want any of them, but to say we don't have the thing you want or your 2nd choice either, you can have the vegetarian dish or pay for a coach meal is quite a poor level of service. It's really crazy how much better TAP is than Delta.
The sweet potato dish is as bad as it looks. I suppose a dog might eat it? I tried to have an open mind, but it was horrid and I didn't eat any of it beyond enough to taste it. The sweet potato was cooked to a mushy paste. The sauce was spicy, which I am fine with but my child couldn't handle the spice level to have any either. And why did they leave on the part of the leek you're supposed to throw away??? Also, the dessert was quite tasty but why in the world did they put an inedible part of a plant as garnish when you won't see it and end up picking wood out of your teeth because the cabin is dark? Nothing in a plate of airline food should be inedible. The salad was nice, though the nuts just seem like something done to seem fancier, without benefitting the salad's taste in any way.

Last edited by flyerfirsts; Oct 10, 2022 at 7:07 pm
Old Oct 10, 2022, 7:57 am

Programs: DL Platinum/SkyTeam Elite Plus
Does anyone know how many meals are served from Atl to ICN on DL 27? It is given the option to pre-select a meal which includes five different entrées however is there a breakfast served later on in the flight?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
ATL-SAN

Was given no choice, as they ran out chicken about halfway through taking orders and by the time they got to me they ran out of the fish too. The FA said I should have pre-selected online, so apparently it's my fault DL sucks at loading enough meals, and she also said I could pay for a sandwich from coach as an alternative. I would get that if they presented me with all 3 options and I didn't want any of them, but to say we don't have the thing you want or your 2nd choice either, you can have the vegetarian dish or pay for a coach meal is quite a poor level of service. It's really crazy how much better TAP is than Delta.
The sweet potato dish is as bad as it looks. I suppose a dog might eat it? I tried to have an open mind, but it was horrid and I didn't eat any of it beyond enough to taste it. The sweet potato was cooked to a mushy paste. The sauce was spicy, which I am fine with but my child couldn't handle the spice level to have any either. And why did they leave on the part of the leek you're supposed to throw away??? Also, the desert was quite tasty but why in the world did they put an inedible part of a plant as garnish when you won't see it and end up picking wood out of your teeth because the cabin is dark? Nothing in a plate of airline food should be inedible. The salad was nice, though the nuts just seem like something done to seem fancier, without benefitting the salad's taste in any way.

the audacity of her to suggest PAYING for a main cabin fresh food item!! I would write that in and express your disservice on delta.com
MSPeconomist, cmd320 and Mhyduchak like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
the audacity of her to suggest PAYING for a main cabin fresh food item!! I would write that in and express your disservice on delta.com
i already did. Crazy thing is they had 3 trainees on board and this delight appeared to be the one doing the training.
MSPeconomist and cmd320 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by FreqTrav27
Does anyone know how many meals are served from Atl to ICN on DL 27? It is given the option to pre-select a meal which includes five different entrées however is there a breakfast served later on in the flight?
Yes there will be a 2nd meal later in the flight. They only offer pre-selection for the first meal.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
I can re-confirm for the n-th time, no meal service on the 9:30PM ATL-SFO departure. Just drinks and snack basket :/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.