Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2021, 5:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by manacit
This continues to be a great year for me - I'd say I'm batting 80% on my upgrades ex-SEA, mostly to SFO/SAN and the occasional other destination. I'm about to board 1A on a SEA-AUS flight having gotten an UG at the window.

My only failure thus far has been ORD-SEA, where I booked about 10 days before departure and didn't even manage to snag a C+ upgrade.
Are you a PM? I'm a SEA-based PM and this is about where I am. I'm actually a little lower, around 72% if I remember correctly.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
Are you a PM? I'm a SEA-based PM and this is about where I am. I'm actually a little lower, around 72% if I remember correctly.
Yup! I'm a PM right now.

80% was a rough estimate, I haven't actually gone back and looked at the numbers. Since that post, I've been 0/1 on my return from AUS, where I didn't even make it to C+. I've got a SEA-MCO and return in a couple of weeks that I'd really appreciate an upgrade on, we'll see if that works out.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
SLC-PHX 10/15 FO on an award ticket - 26/28 for 0 F, 13/15 for 2 C+
PHX-LAX 10/18 GM on an award ticket - C+ at T-72, didn't end up flying the segment so don't know on F.
LAX-LAS 10/18 GM on an award ticket - F at T-72, 7 seats left after the GM window, didn't fly this segment either but based on the seat map assume just about anyone who could have had an UG would have gotten one.
LAS-SLC 10/21 GM on an award ticket - 19/41 for 2 F, 3/15 for 3 C+, cleared to C+ at the gate.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
LGA to PWM - upgraded to Y+, 7 of 11 or so on the F upgrade list got one or two seats available, this route seems elite heavy when I fly it
Old Oct 22, 2021, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL/HH/IHG/BW/Caesar's Diamond (Select), UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott/MGM Gold, Hertz/Avis PC
Upgrades:
LAS-DTW C+ from Main Cabin as a GM
DTW-RIC FC from Main Cabin

No upgrades:
RIC-ATL Main Cabin 13/20 on list for FC
ATL-LAS Main Cabin 20/34 on list for FC
Old Oct 22, 2021, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Upgrade SFO - JFK from C+ to D1.

Total of 9 D1 seats available and I was lucky number 7 to clear
Old Oct 23, 2021, 6:23 pm

Silver upgrade

Flew mdw-dtw-las-sea-ord. I'm new silver as of Aug. I didn't get upgraded the mdw-dtw-las part but was upgraded the las-sea-ord. I was shooketh. I was upgraded to c+ las-sea and first sea-ord. I took the c+ and let the hubby have my first upgrade.
volabam, Air Houston and Kerrirdh like this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Milesaway76
Flew mdw-dtw-las-sea-ord. I'm new silver as of Aug. I didn't get upgraded the mdw-dtw-las part but was upgraded the las-sea-ord. I was shooketh. I was upgraded to c+ las-sea and first sea-ord. I took the c+ and let the hubby have my first upgrade.
Wow. Love when the unexpected happens! Congrats
volabam likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 10:18 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Congrats! When I was a Silver pre-covid, I found I actually got a decent amount of C+ upgrades domestically (especially if I was willing to take a middle seat, which sometimes I was due to the extra legroom), and it wasn't too uncommon to get an F upgrade on flights out here on the west coast, especially on regional flights.
volabam likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Milesaway76
. . . I took the c+ and let the hubby have my first upgrade.
That's how you know it's love .
olegator likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by volabam
That's how you know it's love .
Or he was working my last nerve and was asking to go swimming with the fishes (we live on lake Michigan) when we got home. LOL
volabam likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:27 am

The sea-ord leg was almost empty in all classes. It felt like I was flying at the height of covid or something.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 8:53 am

I’m reminded of the first time I hit status. I think I was upgraded to first on my next flight after reaching silver.

I really think FO and GM might be the happiest experience. We go in with little to no expectations, and are pleasantly surprised every so often.
mot29, volabam and ryw like this.

Last edited by zeke3; Oct 24, 2021 at 8:59 am Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 24, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
There are lots of Seattle flights that go out fairly empty on a frequent basis and can be easy upgrades as a silver, especially during slower travel seasons. ORD, IAD, and BOS are some of the longer ones that come to mind, but many shorter routes like SFO and SJC also qualify. The trick is flying SEA to non-hub flights to business heavy markets. I just flew SFO-SEA on a flight that went out with 110 empty seats.
ryw and Milesaway76 like this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by zeke3
I’m reminded of the first time I hit status. I think I was upgraded to first on my next flight after reaching silver.

I really think FO and GM might be the happiest experience. We go in with little to no expectations, and are pleasantly surprised every so often.

I think I’ve gotten upgraded to D1 on JFK-LAX as silver medallion more often than when I’m PM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.