Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2021, 3:00 pm

PM on award ticket for SFO-SEA on 11/14. Was 8/30+ for one available seat in F. Busiest I’ve seen SFO in awhile!
Old Nov 19, 2021, 8:13 am

One thing people seem to be missing here, for F upgrades, the "time of request" is (in most cases) the time of booking, not the time of check-in. It could be different if you check/uncheck the "request upgrade" box in your reservation but generally the request is made at the time of booking (or maybe ticketing, not 100% sure on this point).

Time of checki n is 100% irrelevant.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: DL PM
PM with earned status booked Atl-Den on thanksgiving day. Cleared into C+ at booking. Prior to the DM/PM 5 day window there were 20 F and 1 C+ available. At the 5 day window they upgraded 15 to F. Now showing 5 avail F and 9 avail C+. No upgrade here, still in C+.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
First economy flight as an earned PM - me and my companion cleared into F at the PM window for a Thanksgiving day flight, JFK to ATL. FWIW I think we would have cleared even if I was an FO, this is on an Airbus 330 and 20+ F seats are currently available

We will have a tougher test on the return (C+ was sold out, 5 F seats remaining)
Old Nov 20, 2021, 7:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I went 2-3 this week, missing out on CLE-DTW (#4 for 0 seats misd-morning Thursday), getting UG'd 3 days out DCA-DTW (last flight of Friday night) and at the gate DTW-CLE (#1 for 3 available seas). I bought the DTW-DCA UG for $63.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
First flights as a PM and was surprised by how high I was on the second two flights

11/20/2021, DL3529, SBN-DTW, H fare, cleared to Comfort+ at booking (booked at T-15), 1/4 for First for 0 open
11/20/2021, DL441, DTW-ATL, H fare, cleared to Comfort+ (Premium Select, A350) at booking, 5/35 for First for 1 open
11/20/2021, DL1672, ATL-JAX, H fare, 2/10 for Comfort+ for 5 open, cleared at gate, 6/33 for First for 1 open
Old Nov 21, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
Maybe DL is getting better at selling F and keeping F seats out of the upgrade pool. I am 0 out of three this weekend as a Diamond with one segment to go. On flights 1 and 2, I did not even make #1 on the list, although upgrades appear to have cleared. On flight 4 tonight, I am #8 on the list five hours from departure. None of these flights has been sold out. This is a first for me after four years as a diamond, Still waiting to see if flight 3 clears. While I have requalified for Diamond for next year and will not be one of those grandfathered in, as others have noted, I don't think that the split within levels for upgrade purposes has yet taken effect.

I cannot begrudge DL seeking to maximize revenue. I could have purchased F. I could have taken some of the shockingly priced segment upgrades offered after purchase. I have a boatload of upgrades earned for this year and leftover from last year. Maybe this is anecdotal for the Friday and Sunday before Thanksgiving week. But if this one experience reflects better revenue management, the value to me of seeking status will plummet. Add to that the fact that Delta 1 upgrades will become more difficult due to the one level limit on GUC's, the value of Diamond status further decreases.

I have a trip to Central America next month. Free agency on AA, yeah I know the risk, got me into J for $800 less than Comfort+ would have been on DL. Delta J was almost 2K more. Free agency on AM got me to MAD last month in J for $2500 less than DL. Again just three data points, but the metal luggage tag that I received two weeks ago alone is not going to keep me with DL.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by MIA-SAT
Maybe DL is getting better at selling F and keeping F seats out of the upgrade pool. I am 0 out of three this weekend as a Diamond with one segment to go. On flights 1 and 2, I did not even make #1 on the list, although upgrades appear to have cleared. On flight 4 tonight, I am #8 on the list five hours from departure. None of these flights has been sold out. This is a first for me after four years as a diamond, Still waiting to see if flight 3 clears. While I have requalified for Diamond for next year and will not be one of those grandfathered in, as others have noted, I don't think that the split within levels for upgrade purposes has yet taken effect.

I cannot begrudge DL seeking to maximize revenue. I could have purchased F. I could have taken some of the shockingly priced segment upgrades offered after purchase. I have a boatload of upgrades earned for this year and leftover from last year. Maybe this is anecdotal for the Friday and Sunday before Thanksgiving week. But if this one experience reflects better revenue management, the value to me of seeking status will plummet. Add to that the fact that Delta 1 upgrades will become more difficult due to the one level limit on GUC's, the value of Diamond status further decreases.

I have a trip to Central America next month. Free agency on AA, yeah I know the risk, got me into J for $800 less than Comfort+ would have been on DL. Delta J was almost 2K more. Free agency on AM got me to MAD last month in J for $2500 less than DL. Again just three data points, but the metal luggage tag that I received two weeks ago alone is not going to keep me with DL.
what is your routing? I feel like every flight I've been in PMs get first
Adelphos likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
PM

LGA-MIA 11/18
0 FC availabe at checkin, i was 13th on the list out of 40

MIA-LGA 11/21

5 available at checkin but 0 approx 12 hours before boarding. Im 25th out of 43rd.

Just two weeks ago as a PM i was getting FC guarenteed on my last 5-8 segements. No chance now.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
SAT-ATL-PIT-ATL-SAT. I was the sole passenger to clear on segment 3. Dropped to 9th out of 33 on segment four with 15 total seats remaining for sale.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
My first real test of PM will be a LGA to ORD for a business trip midweek. In C+ on both flights right now, and both show 7 available F seats.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 2:57 pm

You guys have never made me be so happy to live in such a worthless place.
volabam likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 6:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
PM

DTW-SLC tomorrow. Currently 11 of 16.

1 FC availabe at checkin. Not surprised I’m 11, but a little bit surprised only 5 people behind me.
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: DM/3MM
I was #1 last Tuesday morning LAX-JFK and #1 JFK-LAS wed afternoon. Did not clear. Flights and airports were packed.
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Ironically HPN (White Plains/Westchester) Delta flights that all layover to ATL are empty in FC completely. So if you want FC down in the NYC area at-least to ATL you are guaranteed at this point. (It is a CRJ-900 though so take that as you will)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.