Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
GM, BOS-ORD cleared to F at 72 hours on a Q fare (4 of 12 seats booked). A day later DL decided to open fare buckets down to K so cancelled and rebooked for a $125 credit and cleared back into F immediately. Bunch of Silvers cleared at T-24 and flight went out with no one on the upgrade list and 4(!) empty seats in F
Old Dec 23, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: WOH Globalist | IHG Platinum | HH Gold | MB Gold
PM, Y ticket on SFO - ATL and international connection from ATL The SFO - ATL leg is D1 and currently has availability. I'm not able to check-in online as the airport agent need to verify documents for international leg. My name is not showing in the upgrade list in the app. Is check-in required to get confirmed day of departure D1 complimentary upgrade?
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by pichalite
PM, Y ticket on SFO - ATL and international connection from ATL The SFO - ATL leg is D1 and currently has availability. I'm not able to check-in online as the airport agent need to verify documents for international leg. My name is not showing in the upgrade list in the app. Is check-in required to get confirmed day of departure D1 complimentary upgrade?
The flight is probably going to go to gate upgrades anyway, so just make sure you are on the list when you get checked in at airport
pichalite likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by pichalite
Old Dec 24, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Made a super last minute points booking for today, LGA to PBI. Booked main cabin, was #1 for upgrade right after booking, upgraded before boarding.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 12:06 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I needed to get from my new home base west of CLE to DCA on Monday 12/20. I booked the ticket two days before; I got UG'd to F almost immediately on the first three segments, CLE-JFK-DCA-JFK, and had to cool my heels in C+ until they UG'd me at the gate (I ws #1 for 6 empties).

I'm probably going to start using AA on this route, and I'm going to hate myself for doing so, but I would save about 5 hours per round trip by avoiding connecting in DTW, JFK or LGA (DL won't offer me a routing through ATL). I'm looking into a credit card offering Priority Pass to get lounge access at both ends, since I won't be able to use the SC in DCA if I go on AA.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ND76
I'm looking into a credit card offering Priority Pass to get lounge access at both ends, since I won't be able to use the SC in DCA if I go on AA.
PP likely won't do you much good at DCA - the only PP options at DCA are 2 restaurant discounts, one for the C concourse, one for B near the UA gates.
AMEX is building a lounge to open in 2022. I'd think that CapOne should be thinking of DCA for one of its new lounges given its strength in Washington, but for now only announced for IAD.
The difference is between 4+ hours on DL with a connection of 1.5 hours on AA non-stop?
Happy holidays!
Old Dec 26, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Main Cabin Award Ticket
Platinum Medalion
Dec. 20 SEA-->DTW-->MSN
Dec. 25 MSN-->DTW--->SEA

All four segments upgraded to Comfort Plus within hours of ticketing.

Called to request RUC on SEA-->DTW about 6 weeks before flight.

SEA-->.DTW: RUC Cleared at the gate (got the last F seat)
DTW-->MSN: Complimentary upgrade cleared a few hours before departure (saw it on the FlyDelta App after taking my seat when boarding the SEA-DTW flight)

MSN-->DTW: Complimentary upgrade cleared a few days before flight
DTW-->SEA: Called to request RUC about 3 days before flight. Failed to clear; was #1 on list from check-in until boarding.

By the way, I have always though there should be some "consolation prize" for the passenger who misses the upgrade to F by one position. Even if it is something silly. Maybe a warm cookie or something. I hate it when that happens as it did on DTW-SEA. But I also rather like it when I snag the last spot (as I did on SEA-DTW).
Old Dec 26, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by andrewk829

By the way, I have always though there should be some "consolation prize" for the passenger who misses the upgrade to F by one position. Even if it is something silly. Maybe a warm cookie or something. I hate it when that happens as it did on DTW-SEA. But I also rather like it when I snag the last spot (as I did on SEA-DTW).
The consolation prize seems to depend on the FAs working the flight. I've been brought a FC meal (not too often) or at least the dessert from a FC meal. On a transcon, an amenity kit.

Always nice to be recognized.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
My last trip of the year went well for upgrades. 4 out of 4, all in advance at the Gold Window!

One interesting thing that helped was 3 of my 4 flights were on the CRJ700 which only has 9 seats in first class. As I got closer to departure for each flight, they got swapped to CRJ900 which has 12 seats. All four were Endeavor operated flights.

For 2021 I am at 11/23 upgrades to First (48%) and Comfort+ on nearly all other segments, except for some busy flights in the summer.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
Last flight of the year! PM with reserve card + companion on an award fare (NQ)
12/28 ORD-BOS E-175, C+ at booking, UG to F at the PM window
Old Dec 29, 2021, 1:48 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by pharmflyer
Last flight of the year! PM with reserve card + companion on an award fare (NQ)
12/28 ORD-BOS E-175, C+ at booking, UG to F at the PM window
I'm taking this flight on the 3rd, actually. 8 FC seats available and will hit the 5-day window at 9AM tomorrow. Looking to be my first UG of the year!
Old Dec 29, 2021, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Flying ATL to BOS on 1/1 - delta website says RUC space is available - but shouldn’t that mean that a diamond/plat would automatically be upgrade since T-5? Or is it a different bucket of upgrades? Only two seats left so surprised RUC space available
Old Dec 29, 2021, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Different. OY for supported upgrades and OU for complimentary upgrades.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skislc
SLC-DEN 12/27 cleared to F at the window, PM on a T fare.
SDCed to the morning flight and was 3/21 for 1 F, but cleared at boarding along with two others behind me (party of 4 no showed).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.