FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2031339-2021-upgrade-success-lack-thereof-thread.html)

MSPeconomist Dec 28, 2020 2:59 pm

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

As the new year approaches, time for a new thread.

I was just upgraded right at the DM window for a CRJ-900 flight. For the record, I have K class outbound and V for the return (obviously not BE).

One other FC seat is currently showing as occupied, with 6 FC seats remaining (correct) but only seats next to the occupied seats show as blocked on the seat map on the app, so it looks like there are 8 FC seats available on the seat map. I was automatically assigned an aisle seat on the 2 side, and the other FC occupant is in an equivalent seat. If I try to change seats to an equivalent seat in another row, the seat next to me isn't automatically blocked. C+ is showing as full, with all B seats blocked, which the coach seat map looks like all unoccupied seats are selectable and nothing is blocked. Strange.

For the return, I can buy up to FC for $49 (same offer I saw on the outbound), several days before the DM window. Currently I'm seeing the same pattern on the seat map in terms of which seats are blocked. I'm in C+ with three other C+ seats occupied. The app tells me that there are 7 FC seats available (one is occupied on the seat map) and 18 C+ seats, but I see 11 C+ seats unoccupied on the seat map Filling every seat would mean 20, and 5 are blocked (the B seats), so even if C+ were completely empty, there should only be 15 seats. Two of the "occupied" seats are C and D in the bulkhead row, so perhaps these are being saved for passengers with disabilities or service/ESA dogs. That would explain the 18 if we ignore seat blocking.

stitch626 Jan 3, 2021 12:13 am

PM here, my husband and I are headed to Hawaii this coming week. Specifically booked LAX-SLC-HNL since none of the direct flights out of LAX offer lie flat currently, and I also wanted a chance to fly on a refurbished 767-400.

At time of booking both LAX-SLC and back were automatically cleared to C+. Both HNL legs were already booked up in C+, so snagged seats in what is normally sold as c+ in economy as a preffered seat.

At the PM window we were cleared for both of our outbound flights to first, excited to try out the new suite. Prior to the window there was 21 seats in first open to HNL.
​​​​​​
Our odds look great for our return flights, same number of seats available on the return.

AANYC1981 Jan 3, 2021 1:33 am

DCA-ATL A320 cleared at the window as a DM

MSPeconomist Jan 3, 2021 5:05 am

The return portion of my trip mentioned in the OP cleared into FC at the DM window. One day later, both flights show only one FC seat available.

Qwkynuf Jan 3, 2021 10:22 pm

Flying PDX-ATL-OKC and OKC-SLC-PDX next week. I used an RUC for the Portland to Atlanta flight (wanted to be up front because I am on crutches for a while). The "gentle soul" at the DM desk (bless her heart), applied the cert immediately to the ATL to OKC leg, and waitlisted me on the longer flight. This despite me explaining clearly (repeatedly) how I wanted it done, and her assuring me she had. Luckily, the long leg cleared 10 days out, so that was all good.

For the return I figured I could tough it out for two 90 minute legs if I didn't get upgraded.

I received an email notification today that I had gotten the Medallion upgrade for the first flight, about 30 minutes inside the 5 day window. What is really odd though is that when I logged in to check/change my upgraded seat, it allowed me to choose a seat in 1st for the second leg - despite it being ~5 hours before where the "5 day window" should have been, based on the departure time of that second flight. So I seem to have gotten my Medallion Upgrade for both flights based on the departure of the first flight.

I am sure that in the past, I have always received the upgrade notification for each leg independently, based on each flight's scheduled departure.

kchengg1 Jan 4, 2021 8:26 am

LAX - JFK, a total of 7 seats remaining in Delta One, my companion and I were 2 and 3 and cleared at the gate. Matter of fact all 7 cleared including people who were waitlist for C+.

D1 on 763 was packed, no seats available. Jan 3

Repooc17 Jan 4, 2021 9:40 am

Originally Posted by kchengg1 (Post 32936743)
LAX - JFK, a total of 7 seats remaining in Delta One, my companion and I were 2 and 3 and cleared at the gate. Matter of fact all 7 cleared including people who were waitlist for C+.

D1 on 763 was packed, no seats available. Jan 3

I was on a flight where around 20 people got upgraded at gate, probably more before gate control; the entire cabin (full) was filled with upgraded pax, save for 1 or 2 paid passengers. Even a lowly Delta member like me got upgraded, and I paid less than $100 for the one-way trip.

I feel bad for people that paid hundreds, if not thousands, for a 763 seat, all with little to no service.

eneq Jan 4, 2021 11:02 am

First flight this year today, ATL-DEN on a 737. Cleared at the DM window.

Wimsta Jan 4, 2021 10:49 pm

I am hesitant to post flights in advance like I did last year, because it was just cancelation after cancelation...

I've got a big one coming up, and I just came to the forum to see if I could find more information for my PCR test, and/or recommendations.

The CLE-ATL didn't automatically clear, but I selected a FC seat at the window. The other legs are international and not eligible. C+ has been almost full and now emptying. I imagine people are simple unable to figure out how to get tests in the 72 hour window.

Return was completely changed, we'll see if I end up with any UGs to C+ or FC.

1/8 CLE-ATL FC
ATL-AMS C+
AMS-NBO C+ (plane change)
1/24 NBO-CDG (unknown)
CDG-JFK (unknown)
JFK-DET
DET-CLE

TheStrongOne Jan 5, 2021 7:47 am

DM, and I"m 100% for 6 domestic first upgrades LGA-DFW Nov/Dec/Jan. Had a bit of a surprise on my last flight (DFW-LGA) - I was 2 for 0 seats (I think the person ahead of me used a RUC) so I put it out of my mind, thinking no upgrade was available. To my surprise, I was upgraded to 1D at the gate and seated next to 1C (the person who was ahead of me on the upgrade list).

Surprised because the rest of domestic first maintained the 50% seat block and the FA kindly made sure I was well supplied with snacks and wine for the duration of the flight (I didn't notice anyone else receiving regular beverage service).

MSPeconomist Jan 5, 2021 8:05 am

Could the GA have assumed that you and Person1 were traveling together? Were either of you ever asked if you would mind sitting together? This violates DL's social distancing policy assuming that it's a regular domestic FC 2-2 or 1-2 (an a larger RJ) configuration.

TheStrongOne Jan 5, 2021 8:53 am

Which is exactly why I was surprised. 2-2 config, completely different names and PNR and no question asked (at least to me). It could be my seatmate was asked but I didn't inquire.

tardyturtle Jan 8, 2021 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf (Post 32935930)
What is really odd though is that when I logged in to check/change my upgraded seat, it allowed me to choose a seat in 1st for the second leg - despite it being ~5 hours before where the "5 day window" should have been, based on the departure time of that second flight. So I seem to have gotten my Medallion Upgrade for both flights based on the departure of the first flight.

I am sure that in the past, I have always received the upgrade notification for each leg independently, based on each flight's scheduled departure.

Since at least October, I’ve often seen the connecting segments clear (or at least have upgraded seats available to select for free) hours in advance of the true window for that segment but after the window for the first segment. Not sure why they are acting this way now, but I’m not complaining!

MSPeconomist Jan 8, 2021 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by tardyturtle (Post 32952582)
Since at least October, I’ve often seen the connecting segments clear (or at least have upgraded seats available to select for free) hours in advance of the true window for that segment but after the window for the first segment. Not sure why they are acting this way now, but I’m not complaining!

This would agree with the way OLCI works: you can check in at T-24 for all segments that are considered connections. Also, under the old at 5 pm ATL time five days ahead of departure for the first flight (in the same direction) rule for the DM window, all segments could upgrade at the same time. This is somewhat consistent with how upgrades are handled for direct flights.

ihate2cuddle Jan 8, 2021 9:13 pm

3/4 upgraded

GM Flew BOI-SEA-CUN / CUN-LAX-BOI on 12/30-1/2.

BOI-SEA; Upgraded at 3 day window to F
SEA-CUN; Upgraded at gate to F
CUN-LAX; Upgraded to C+ at gate (missed F by 1)
LAX-BOI; Upgraded to F at gate

All and all, best run I've had as a GM. Of course service is so limited in F right now there isn't much if a difference.