Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2021, 1:22 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
GM

11/18 - RDU-LGA, cleared into C+ couple hours before boarding, 5 of 17 for 1 FC seat
11/18 - LGA-MCI, cleared into C+ at boarding, 11 of 18 for 1 FC seat
Old Nov 22, 2021, 3:26 pm
formerly willbbiddy

PM

Now 4 days from departure and no indication of if I'll get moved to FC. What's the deal here? I can see seats for sale / upgrade. Shouldn't I be clearing in by now?
Edit: cleared in to C+ at booking.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by BirdLawyer
PM

Now 4 days from departure and no indication of if I'll get moved to FC. What's the deal here? I can see seats for sale / upgrade. Shouldn't I be clearing in by now?

Nope, theyve been holding 5+ FCs upon until boarding. They are trying to sell till the last minute and its working.
jxrob and volabam like this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 3:46 pm

PM

They hold back a few for last minute sales. I've seen as few as 2 held back and as many as 5 in recent weeks. When you check in, you will see where you are in the hierarchy (but the hierarchy changes as people check in, so you may be #1 23 hours and 59 minutes before departure and then #56 at departure), and then if nobody buys those seats and you're high up enough in the list when you scan your boarding pass it will print your new upgraded seat assignment (in my experience the app will update once boarding begins usually too, though it will still say Comfort+ it will show your correect upgraded seat number).
Old Nov 22, 2021, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
PM

That is not how things are done at Delta. Upgrade inventory is needed. Most likely your flight will go to gate upgrades. Depending on the route, as a Platinum with 5 seats available now, the upgrade might be a shoe-in, or you might be #20 on the list.
jxrob likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 5:56 pm

If I modify the return trip of my flight, will that also set me back on the clock in terms of time of request on the outbound leg?
Old Nov 24, 2021, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Thanksgiving week:

Tuesday, PM award ticket:
RDU-MSP, 319: cleared at window
MSP-ORD, 717: mostly sold out before window opened, ended up 5 of 13 for 3, but I had 10C and 10D was open so no big deal

Friday, PM V class
ORD-ATL, 320: Almost all of F sold out before the window, only 1 seat left two days out so that isn't going to clear - no real surprise
ATL-RDU, 757: amazingly cleared at the window.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
my son — a newly-minted FO — was on a $264 RIC-JFK-PDX ticket this evening (purchased maybe two weeks ago, so probably no higher than L); scored F on the E75 at T-24, and C+ (which was actually PS) on the 764 at the gate (~T-50 min; saw he was #1 on the list, asked the GA if he could get the remaining window seat, and GA handed him the corresponding BP … guess I have taught him well )
CMK10, volabam and GW McLintock like this.

Last edited by jrl767; Nov 25, 2021 at 9:08 am
Old Nov 26, 2021, 5:38 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
PM with companion, reserve card on an award ticket (NH or something like that)

11/26
BOS-JFK, C+ at booking, 1/2 out of 11 for 0 seats in F
JFK-PUJ, C+ at booking, 1/2 out of 5 for 3 seats, UG 15 min before boarding
Old Nov 26, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
GM
11/24
MCI-DTW, C+ assigned at T-72, 10/17 for 1 FC seat
DTW-ALB, FC assigned at T-72
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
Happy Thanksgiving!

GM - earned in 2019 but now extended through next year. What's nice is I hopefully have some UK travel next year and can take advantage of Gold!

11/24 MSN-MSP-IND booked C+ with X base fare. Upgraded at gold window for MSN-MSP. Then was 5/16 for 2 seats MSP-IND.
11/27 IND-MSP-MSN booked C+ with T base fare. Upgraded at gold window for both segments.

So far this year I am at 7/19 for upgrades.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, BA Gold
PM

11/23 SLC-JFK Cleared C+ at Booking. 5/24 for 2 F.
11/25 JFK-SLC Cleared C+ at Booking. Even though the flight was extremely empty but didn't clear to F until boarding.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
my son — a newly-minted FO — was on a $264 RIC-JFK-PDX ticket this evening (purchased maybe two weeks ago, so probably no higher than L); scored F on the E75 at T-24, and C+ (which was actually PS) on the 764 at the gate (~T-50 min; saw he was #1 on the list, asked the GA if he could get the remaining window seat, and GA handed him the corresponding BP … guess I have taught him well )
Tell him don't get used to those kind of results
Old Nov 27, 2021, 5:33 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Flight from ATL to JFK late this evening - I am 4, my fiance (she is an FO) is 5, four seats left. This was a decent test case of PM for me as it is out of ATL and on a 737, so smallish first class and c+ cabins (C+ appeared sold out at booking). We will see it another F seat opens up or we both stay in main cabin
Old Nov 27, 2021, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Flight from ATL to JFK late this evening - I am 4, my fiance (she is an FO) is 5, four seats left. This was a decent test case of PM for me as it is out of ATL and on a 737, so smallish first class and c+ cabins (C+ appeared sold out at booking). We will see it another F seat opens up or we both stay in main cabin
was her ticket on the same pnr? Because if so her silver is irrelevant but if not in impressed a silver got to 5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.