Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
I'm one of the people buying F now. Sorry!

Just a lot easier than hoping for an upgrade. I'll the upgrade to C+ on short routes.. But for 90% of flights.. just buying it.

(I'm often using Amex MR points, with Amex Plat Biz. It's just too easy to earn Amex MR turn into paid F to avoid the guesswork)
DCAhome likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by JFKEWR
I totally agree. And I believe price is another factor drives people to buy F. I had a SLC-DFW trip last weekend and I only booked the ticket 7 days ahead. At the time of booking only 3 seats left in F and the price was $500 while the price in Y was already $300. It's a no brainer for me to buy F.
interesting, to me a 67% increase for such a slight improvement on such a short flight is a no go. I'm one of the tall people who don't fit in Y, but I've always been upgraded to C+ since making GM (or pick an exit row if flying without my child) so I would just buy Y.
BSAChris likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:10 am

New DL GM here (status match challange to Jeblue Mosiac). Trying to figure out if I understand how the upgrades works.

Booked round-trip BOS->MSP yesterday for outbound flight today(Wed), and return on Friday. Yesterday at T-72 for the return flight, I put in the request for upgrade to both F and C+ (window or Isle). I don't see anywhere where there is a notification that anything happened, and there are at least three FC seats open on the flight for purchase.

For today's flight, since I checked in yesterday, I seem to be moving down the upgrade list. Started at 9/24 for FC just after checking(T-24), now 26/41 or something like that. For C+, I was 1/2 on the list, now 3/11 on the list. Not sure why this would happen. Wouldn't all the PMs and DMs already be on there before T-72 ? Only 1 name listed on the standby list, if that makes any difference.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by FlyingPants
Has anyone noticed it becoming way more difficult to get upgraded to F? It seems like a combination of more outright purchases of FC and more higher status Medallion members. In 2019, based out of IND, my success rate to F as a SM was roughly 50%. In the past two months I have taken 8 legs as a PM and they were all C+ upgrades at booking and 0 upgrades clearing to First. There as also very limited F availability at the 5 day window. Last Friday, I couldn't believe that at check-in, my wife and I were 25!!! and 26 of 56 for a F upgrade on an IND-ATL flight.

Thanksgiving weekend has usually been pretty easy to get upgrades due to less business travel, but I am looking at only 4 FC seats available on the IND-ATL leg and we are 8 days out. So my hopes are really being dashed.

I see this as three main factors: 1. All the extensions and status acceleration leading to more Medallion members. 2. Still fewer flights on the schedule than 2019. 3. The post-pandemic drive for people not wanting to sit next to strangers and purchasing FC seats outright.

What do you all think?
The glut of GM/PM/ maybe even DM is real. By definition, no one has lost status in 2020 and 2021, and there are posts here of new status holders everyday. This, and buy ups to FC, has to have an impact
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by HoldenC
New DL GM here (status match challange to Jeblue Mosiac). Trying to figure out if I understand how the upgrades works.

Booked round-trip BOS->MSP yesterday for outbound flight today(Wed), and return on Friday. Yesterday at T-72 for the return flight, I put in the request for upgrade to both F and C+ (window or Isle). I don't see anywhere where there is a notification that anything happened, and there are at least three FC seats open on the flight for purchase.

For today's flight, since I checked in yesterday, I seem to be moving down the upgrade list. Started at 9/24 for FC just after checking(T-24), now 26/41 or something like that. For C+, I was 1/2 on the list, now 3/11 on the list. Not sure why this would happen. Wouldn't all the PMs and DMs already be on there before T-72 ? Only 1 name listed on the standby list, if that makes any difference.
put in your request immediately, not at t72. Time of request is one of the tiebreaker. Upgrade happens automatically at t72 until there is no more upgrade space, then another opportunity at the gate (they hold back some seats in case of last minute sales)
BSAChris likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:22 am

The upgrade list only shows and ranks people who have checked in for the flight. So if you are a GM who checks in exactly at T-24, you might find yourself at #1. But any PM or DM who checks in later than you will end up higher on the list because status is the first tiebreaker. "Time of request" is way down the list and isn't likely to ever come into play (unless another GM on the same fare class, Reserve Card status, Corporate account status, etc were to check in after you)
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
The upgrade list only shows and ranks people who have checked in for the flight. So if you are a GM who checks in exactly at T-24, you might find yourself at #1. But any PM or DM who checks in later than you will end up higher on the list because status is the first tiebreaker. "Time of request" is way down the list and isn't likely to ever come into play (unless another GM on the same fare class, Reserve Card status, Corporate account status, etc were to check in after you)
time is low on the list but it is there, and by waiting until t72 he completely missed out on the pre clearing
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
time is low on the list but it is there, and by waiting until t72 he completely missed out on the pre clearing
My flight was ticketed only an hour or so before the T-72 mark for the return flight, and only a few hours before the T-24 for the outbound. I'm pretty sure I hit the 'request upgrade' just before the T-72, but I can't recall. Didn't know that the time you hit that had anything to do with the position on the list. This is far more complex than Jetblue, where if you show up at the airport and there is a upgrade available, you ask for it, and you get it.

Question: If you hit the confirm(on the upgrade request section) later-on, and then hit it a second time say a few hours later, does it reset the clock? When I did this the first time (on the web interface, not the app), there was no feedback whatsoever from that button that anything happened. I see where it says "upgrade requested" in green, but that was there all along before I did anything.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 9:18 am

My flight was ticketed only an hour or so before the T-72 mark for the return flight, and only a few hours before the T-24 for the outbound. I'm pretty sure I hit the 'request upgrade' just before the T-72, but I can't recall. Didn't know that the time you hit that had anything to do with the position on the list. This is far more complex than Jetblue, where if you show up at the airport and there is a upgrade available, you ask for it, and you get it.

Question: If you hit the confirm(on the upgrade request section) later-on, and then hit it a second time say a few hours later, does it reset the clock? When I did this the first time (on the web interface, not the app), there was no feedback whatsoever from that button that anything happened. I see where it says "upgrade requested" in green, but that was there all along before I did anything.
As long as you have select upgrades enabled in your profile, the request happens automatically at ticketing. Clicking the button again shouldn't reset anything, but unchecking the "request upgrade" and then rechecking it seems to. There was a bug/feature for a short time a couple of years ago where sometimes you could uncheck/recheck right when your window opened, and it would process your upgrade right away. But I don't think that has worked for a while.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 11:23 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I don't see anywhere where there is a notification that anything happened, and there are at least three FC seats open on the flight for purchase.
This is far more complex than Jetblue, where if you show up at the airport and there is a upgrade available, you ask for it, and you get it.
Yep, it works differently on the legacy airlines -- complimentary upgrades are inventory-managed, so there may not be upgrade space even though there is an available F seat to be sold.

There's a setting in your DL profile where you can whether you want to have upgrades requested automatically so that you don't have to go in and do it on every ticket. Most people want this* so I think it is enabled by default, which would explain why you saw "upgrade requested" even before you manually requested it (in which case you didn't need to actually do it). Not sure if re-requesting an already-requested upgrade resets the time-of-request tiebreaker but as others mentioned it's unlikely this will come into play.

*for F, anyway -- many people would prefer not to be automatically upgraded into a middle C+ seat and will uncheck automatic C+ upgrades (and in this case you can still go into the seatmap and self-upgrade, *provided that* there is inventory available -- there's also a setting to be upgraded into C+ only if a window/aisle seat is available)
Old Nov 17, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb

As others have said, time of request rarely if ever has any impact on upgrades.
As a Gold, if you get any upgrades I would be surprised (there are way too many Diamond and Platinum). On routes I fly, upgrades as a Platinum are rare. But they could happen.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by MarkCron
As others have said, time of request rarely if ever has any impact on upgrades.
As a Gold, if you get any upgrades I would be surprised (there are way too many Diamond and Platinum). On routes I fly, upgrades as a Platinum are rare. But they could happen.
I have never not gotten an upgrade to c+ as gold but have also never gotten first as gold
Old Nov 17, 2021, 11:47 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
I have never not gotten an upgrade to c+ as gold but have also never gotten first as gold
good clarification! I was referring to F upgrades, even though C+ upgrades have been around for years now
Old Nov 17, 2021, 11:44 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingPants
Has anyone noticed it becoming way more difficult to get upgraded to F? It seems like a combination of more outright purchases of FC and more higher status Medallion members. In 2019, based out of IND, my success rate to F as a SM was roughly 50%. In the past two months I have taken 8 legs as a PM and they were all C+ upgrades at booking and 0 upgrades clearing to First. There as also very limited F availability at the 5 day window. Last Friday, I couldn't believe that at check-in, my wife and I were 25!!! and 26 of 56 for a F upgrade on an IND-ATL flight.

Thanksgiving weekend has usually been pretty easy to get upgrades due to less business travel, but I am looking at only 4 FC seats available on the IND-ATL leg and we are 8 days out. So my hopes are really being dashed.

I see this as three main factors: 1. All the extensions and status acceleration leading to more Medallion members. 2. Still fewer flights on the schedule than 2019. 3. The post-pandemic drive for people not wanting to sit next to strangers and purchasing FC seats outright.

What do you all think?
I have to admit that I don't have any data points to add to this thread beyond the three flights I took earlier in the year because I am one of those people booking the front cabin outright. Why? During the booking downturn due to the delta variant scare during the summer, front cabin fares were all rock bottom in the Z bucket. Also, with the medallion accelerators, front cabin tickets earn 262.5% MQM credit, so why not? (150% credit for class of service bonus plus 175% on top of that for the acclerator) It's actually worth it to book up front because for 4000 miles flown, I'm credited for 10,500 MQMs. (and MQDs are credited 150%). With these multipliers, I requalified for Gold Medallion after 3 roundtrip transcons up front, and only need 1 and a half more to reach Platinum.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 11:49 pm

So after saying I've never gotten F as a Gold, I got upgraded to F at the gate as a Gold tonight.
ATL-RIC, booked as Main Cabin L fare (from DAY-RIC, DAY-ATL precleaed as a C+ upgrade, and we were 7 and 8 out of 12 for first on that flight, but there was only 1 open F seat)
My wife and I were 3 and 4 out of 14 (at one point out of 16) and there were 4 F seats available. 1 went to a Diamond, I don't know who the second went to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.