Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: DL DM, BA Gold
Originally Posted by skislc
SLC-RNO for this Friday 11/12 cleared to F at the window, GM on a L fare. Will likely want to SDC to an earlier flight though which is showing J1 unfortunately, so unlikely I'll actually fly F. Looks like RNO-SLC on Monday will be C+ given that it's also J1, but we shall see.

Will make PM on this flight thanks to Amex MQMs posting, so curious what if anything happens with my upcoming BOS trips - seems like SLC-BOS v/v (which will be my most regular route going forward) may be DM territory, which won't happen for me anytime soon. Anyone have experience with that route that they can share?
I am also a new PM based at SLC and fly SLC-BOS often. I've flown 4 RT since PM and no upgrade to F. To me this route is dominated by DM.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JFKEWR
I am also a new PM based at SLC and fly SLC-BOS often. I've flown 4 RT since PM and no upgrade to F. To me this route is dominated by DM.
Bother, but sort of figured as such given what the UG lists usually look like (and suspect there's a fair amount of paid J from skiers too at least in the winter). C+ on the 752 isn't a bad ride though as a consolation prize.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 6:01 pm

Programs: Delta GM
GM, with Reserve and spend waiver, 11/10:
PIT-MSP cleared into F at window, E175MSP-SBN cleared to C+ at window, #2 of 10 for 0 in F, CR9
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM
FO, 11/10, BOS-AUS, 2/3 for 2 seats in F
Cleared into C+ at check-in
Cleared into F at gate, 20 min before boarding
Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:22 am

Programs: DL DM
DL1382 ANC-SEA B739: Cleared to C+ at booking, Cleared to F at the PM window.
DL972 SEA-ATL B757: Cleared to C+ at booking, Finished 6/20 for 2 seats.
DL2112 ATL-ECP A320: Cleared to C+ at booking, Finished 9/22 for 0 seats.
All 11/9/21.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium
11/1 - DL408 MSP-ATL A321 (K Fare) C+ at booking and 6 of 69 for F (2 upgraded)

Last minute booking here...
11/8 - DL2804 SAV-ATL A320 (K Fare) 1 of 16 for C+ (0 upgraded) and 4 of 29 for F (0 upgraded)
11/8 - DL662 ATL-PHX 764 (K Fare) Upgraded to PS/C+ 4 hours before departure and 3 of 49 for F (2 upgraded )
Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
SAN is easily the hardest upgrade of the cities I fly to. Over the past 5 years as a DM I am averaging 88%-92% upgrades overall, but when I am going to or from SAN I am less than 20%. I think it's just a destination where people buy the big seats up front. <shrug>
weird - I go to SAN a lot and never have issues through MSP, and seldom have issues through JFK or ATL. The only SAN I would have potentially missed that I recall was through SEA last week but I scrapped the trip. Only 2 seats a week out though in F
Old Nov 11, 2021, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
weird - I go to SAN a lot and never have issues through MSP, and seldom have issues through JFK or ATL. The only SAN I would have potentially missed that I recall was through SEA last week but I scrapped the trip. Only 2 seats a week out though in F
I mostly fly to SAN from SEA, SLC, and ATL. I don't think I have ever gotten the upgrade from ATL.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
11/12 PDX-ATL DL882 award ticket. 16 of 56 as PM for first on 764. One F seat was assigned. Luckily I was already in C+ before plane upgauged.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:41 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone noticed it becoming way more difficult to get upgraded to F? It seems like a combination of more outright purchases of FC and more higher status Medallion members. In 2019, based out of IND, my success rate to F as a SM was roughly 50%. In the past two months I have taken 8 legs as a PM and they were all C+ upgrades at booking and 0 upgrades clearing to First. There as also very limited F availability at the 5 day window. Last Friday, I couldn't believe that at check-in, my wife and I were 25!!! and 26 of 56 for a F upgrade on an IND-ATL flight.

Thanksgiving weekend has usually been pretty easy to get upgrades due to less business travel, but I am looking at only 4 FC seats available on the IND-ATL leg and we are 8 days out. So my hopes are really being dashed.

I see this as three main factors: 1. All the extensions and status acceleration leading to more Medallion members. 2. Still fewer flights on the schedule than 2019. 3. The post-pandemic drive for people not wanting to sit next to strangers and purchasing FC seats outright.

What do you all think?
Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingPants

I see this as three main factors: 1. All the extensions and status acceleration leading to more Medallion members. 2. Still fewer flights on the schedule than 2019. 3. The post-pandemic drive for people not wanting to sit next to strangers and purchasing FC seats outright.

What do you all think?
Probably all three. And I suspect people who are booking with ecredits and such are also more likely to throw a voucher against a paid F for just a little more since psychologically they aren't paying with 'fresh' cash.

I'm just hoping that it doesn't get to the point where DL starts cutting back on the number of C+ PM upgrades at booking they allow for a specific flight. We've got some transatlantic travel planned for next year and C+ for main cabin prices was one of the reasons why I was chasing PM this year.
evanrosati and FlyingPants like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta (Platinum), Hilton (Gold), Marriott (Gold), National (Executive)
As a PM with MQD waiver (booked Main unless otherwise noted):

11/12 LGA-ATL: Cleared into C+ immediately, upgraded to F at T-120. Friday evening flight, wasn’t very full at all, and everyone on the upgrade list cleared into F.

11/14 ATL-STL: No upgrade at all, not even C+. This was only booked about 2 weeks beforehand, was an award ticket, and the flight was nearly full before BE pax were even assigned seats. Had exit row and flew with companion, so I un-requested C+ a few days before.

These are my first segments as PM, so I’m at a 50% success rate for both F and C+. However, the rest of my outstanding flights for the year are already confirmed in C+, so this will be about 75-85% by year end.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL - PM

What do you all think?
I'm seeing the same pattern. Through October I was 39/43 on F upgrades. In November I'm 0/4 and my trip this weekend doesn't look promising. I think purchasing FC outright has been the biggest driver because I'm seeing very few upgrades given out.
FlyingPants likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, BA Gold
Has anyone noticed it becoming way more difficult to get upgraded to F? It seems like a combination of more outright purchases of FC and more higher status Medallion members. In 2019, based out of IND, my success rate to F as a SM was roughly 50%. In the past two months I have taken 8 legs as a PM and they were all C+ upgrades at booking and 0 upgrades clearing to First. There as also very limited F availability at the 5 day window. Last Friday, I couldn't believe that at check-in, my wife and I were 25!!! and 26 of 56 for a F upgrade on an IND-ATL flight.

Thanksgiving weekend has usually been pretty easy to get upgrades due to less business travel, but I am looking at only 4 FC seats available on the IND-ATL leg and we are 8 days out. So my hopes are really being dashed.

What do you all think?
I totally agree. And I believe price is another factor drives people to buy F. I had a SLC-DFW trip last weekend and I only booked the ticket 7 days ahead. At the time of booking only 3 seats left in F and the price was $500 while the price in Y was already $300. It's a no brainer for me to buy F.
FlyingPants likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
GM on an L fare SLC-RNO 11/12 - C+ shortly after SDC, 8/15 for 1 F.
PM on a U fare RNO-SLC 11/15 - C+ as soon as PM status posted, 6/11 for 1 F.

SLC-AUS-BOS 11/16 on a V fare cleared to F on both legs once I updated to PM overnight Friday. C+ for BOS-SLC 11/19 but doesn't look like F will happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.