Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2021, 6:12 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
was her ticket on the same pnr? Because if so her silver is irrelevant but if not in impressed a silver got to 5
‘Same PNR.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
was her ticket on the same pnr? Because if so her silver is irrelevant but if not in impressed a silver got to 5
lol, now we are 7/8 out of 21 on a Saturday night flight, upgrade lists seem to be getting longer
Old Nov 27, 2021, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
lol, now we are 7/8 out of 21 on a Saturday night flight, upgrade lists seem to be getting longer
That post-window count doesn't update until people check in.
Travel with one companion and the higher status controls.
Different PNR but linked, the PM gets PM upgrade rank but the FO gets FO rank (strangely if the second person is nothing they both get the PM rank)
2 or more companions, each person gets their own rank level but if any one of these companions is nothing then nobody gets upgraded.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:01 pm

That post-window count doesn't update until people check in.
Travel with one companion and the higher status controls.
Different PNR but linked, the PM gets PM upgrade rank but the FO gets FO rank (strangely if the second person is nothing they both get the PM rank)
2 or more companions, each person gets their own rank level but if any one of these companions is nothing then nobody gets upgraded.
Got it. I hope when Delta announces their premium seat strategy in a few weeks, it includes additional F and C+ seating on birds like the 737. Too many elites and too many people willing to buy F
Old Nov 27, 2021, 5:35 pm

Surprised to see at least a few dozen diamonds board tonight on a holiday weekend Saturday night. There are definitely going to be way too many Delta elites when travel demand is more normal (whenever that is)
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JFKEWR
PM

11/23 SLC-JFK Cleared C+ at Booking. 5/24 for 2 F.
11/25 JFK-SLC Cleared C+ at Booking. Even though the flight was extremely empty but didn't clear to F until boarding.
Also flew SLC-JFK on Tuesday, 10/27 for 2 as a PM on a T fare. Bought it a week out and C+ was booked so ended up in an exit aisle.

11/27 JFK-SLC (on a 763), PM on an L fare. C+ at booking. 19 open seats at the window but no one cleared to F until about T-32 when 10 seats cleared including my own. Looked like 7 more (out of a ~20 person list) cleared at the gate. Probably one of the few flights of the year that a GM (maybe even a PM) would have sat up front on this route.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 11:42 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Delta revenue management has this down to a science. It's frustrating when you think you'll clear the UG easily, but the goal of their enterprise is to make a profit, so I can't fault them. I've gotten to the point (as a PM for the last 2.5 years) where I'm happy with getting upgrades between 50 and 70% of the time. The rest of the time, I either buy FC on routes where it's important to me or just sit in C+ on shorter flights.

Originally Posted by cubeman
Nope, theyve been holding 5+ FCs upon until boarding. They are trying to sell till the last minute and its working.
FLYPWM and DCAhome like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
11/28/2021, DL1159, MOB-ATL, PM, B fare, cleared to Comfort+ at booking, 3/22 for First for 1 open
11/28/2021, DL4656, ATL-SBN, PM, B fare, cleared to Comfort+ ~2 weeks out when I finally got a seat assignment (CRJ200)

Last edited by coke cans and winglets; Nov 29, 2021 at 7:33 am
Old Nov 29, 2021, 8:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
11/23 JAX -ATL and ATL -DFW my Husband and I cleared for C+
11/27 DFW - ATL only one seat left on C+ , GA asked if one of us wanted to take it but we decided not to. It was a short flight anyway.

ATL was packed, it seemed pre pandemic. Been flying throughout the pandemic and it made me happy to see the airport with so many people. Last November, it was a ghost town.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
CDG-ATL ->upgraded but only C+ middle seats available so kept my window pair instead.
ATL-DCA: upgraded to C+ at the window (declined it as it was a middle seat), 12/27 for 0 F seats.

———————
SDQ-ATL -> Booked C+. Upgraded to F at the gate
ATL-DCA-> Booked C+. 3/14 for 0 seats.
DCA-MSP: Upgraded to C+ a few hours ahead of the window, 9/22 for 0 F seats.
MSP-SFO: Upgraded to C+ When first segment cleared, 13/27 for 0 F seats
SFO-JFK: Upgraded to C+ ahead of time but to a middle seat so downgraded to Y, 19/35 for 0 Delta One seats.
JFK-DCA: Upgraded to F at the window.
DCA-JFK: Upgraded to F at the window
JFK-SDQ: Upgraded to F at the window
SDQ-JFK: Upgraded to F at the window
JFK-DCA: Upgraded to F at the window

F: 6/11= 55%
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:53 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
Originally Posted by pharmflyer
PM with companion, reserve card on an award ticket (NH or something like that)

11/26
BOS-JFK, C+ at booking, 1/2 out of 11 for 0 seats in F
JFK-PUJ, C+ at booking, 1/2 out of 5 for 3 seats, UG 15 min before boarding
11/30 Return flight PUJ-ATL-BOS used RUCs, but noticed everyone (3) on the FC list cleared the PUJ-ATL and 3 people UG to F on the BOS flight

Trip this weekend, also with companion (newly FO) on award ticket

12/4 BOS-DTW C+ at booking, FC at PM window
12/4 DTW-ORD C+ at booking, FC at PM window

12/6 ORD-BOS C+ at booking, FC at PM window
Adelphos likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:31 pm

12/1
PM
LGA to ORD
Upgraded about 50 mins before departure, I was 2 of 14 on the upgrade list, there were 6 seats available

Actually pretty promising as a PM to clear that upgrade comfortably on a business route
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL - PM
Who remembers the good old days when holiday periods meant virtually guaranteed upgrades because fewer medallion members were traveling? I went 0fer over Thanksgiving. In November I had one upgrade out of 12 legs, and that one was because I used an RUC. Although I was bubble boy on a SLC-BOI leg yesterday.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
12/1
PM
LGA to ORD
Upgraded about 50 mins before departure, I was 2 of 14 on the upgrade list, there were 6 seats available

Actually pretty promising as a PM to clear that upgrade comfortably on a business route
Only problem is that I got the bulkhead seat with no leg room and was upgraded from an empty C+ cabin (a few rows have no passengers) - I honestly may ask these guys if I can move to the back. Sometimes C+ is all you need.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Ordhater
Who remembers the good old days when holiday periods meant virtually guaranteed upgrades because fewer medallion members were traveling? I went 0fer over Thanksgiving. In November I had one upgrade out of 12 legs, and that one was because I used an RUC. Although I was bubble boy on a SLC-BOI leg yesterday.
What do you think has happened (outside of more F being sold directly) - elite inflation? If so, how does that happen with business travel allegedly down with much?
Daitheflu84 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.