Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2021, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Holiday Saturday, PM U fare - RDU-DTW 717 and DTW-ORD CR9 both cleared at the window.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
Just booked a last minute flight to PHX this weekend from Seattle. Got UGd to FC right after purchase (inside 5 day window already) on the SEA-PHX flight and just now got notified that I'll be in FC on the return. Both flights are on the A221, which I'm super excited about since I've only flown that bird once before. I think I'm now 11/14 for the year as a PM on my non-paid FC segments.

Question: the DL app is showing a meal in FC both directions, as this is an 1100 mile trip. This proved to be false on my most recent SEA-OGG flight, as we were given the dreaded snack box in lieu of real food. That was 6 weeks ago, though; has anything improved on the domestic first class food front?
Yes they finally rolled out the new “premium cold boxed meals.” Don’t get too excited as these are just a slight step above the Flight Fuel snack boxes and still no where near what the normal pre-COVID meal service.
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 4:29 am

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
I was hoping to get some clear at the window action, it's been a while, no luck... tried the deselect and reselect the UG and I guess that trick doesn't work... I guess they hold more inventory than they used to.

I feel like I've forgotten everything or it is all changed or both... so many PMs now.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Upgraded around T-24 on JFK->BZN (return trip on another carrier since DL only operates this route on certain days of the week and didn't fit with my schedule) as a Gold member. F fully booked except for two seats, I got 1A; 1B was offered to #1 on the gate upgrade list who either no-showed, or declined the upgrade (#1 and #2 shared the same last name (assumed they were traveling together).

Originally booked ticket was a cheapo V fare. Not a lot of elites travel on this route.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 6:27 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Gold Medallion

Late June: ORD-BOS cleared at Gold window (T-72)
Early August: This was an interesting one. My employer originally booked me on an afternoon DCA-BOS flight. When I checked in, I was #7 for 0 F seats, and #5 for 3 C+. I SDC'ed to an earlier flight where I was #3 for 2 seats. After SDC-ing, I immediately cleared into C+. When I woke up to head to the airport, I saw that I had cleared into F ahead of the 2 people who were ahead of me on the F upgrade list. The people who were on the F upgrade list were also on the C+ upgrade list, but not the standby list so I don't think they were nonrevs. The last seat went to a nonrev (uniformed employee). The two people who were ahead of me on the upgrade list cleared into C+. I was surprised to see that they were Diamonds (boarding group showed Diamond). I don't know what happened here, but I wasn't questioning it.

2/2 so far for 2021. I have one upcoming trip booked in economy next week that I'll report on. There have been so many decent front cabin fares that I've been simply booking in F/D1 for the rest of the year to take advantage of the accelerators.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:54 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by diburning
Gold Medallion

Late June: ORD-BOS cleared at Gold window (T-72)
Early August: This was an interesting one. My employer originally booked me on an afternoon DCA-BOS flight. When I checked in, I was #7 for 0 F seats, and #5 for 3 C+. I SDC'ed to an earlier flight where I was #3 for 2 seats. After SDC-ing, I immediately cleared into C+. When I woke up to head to the airport, I saw that I had cleared into F ahead of the 2 people who were ahead of me on the F upgrade list. The people who were on the F upgrade list were also on the C+ upgrade list, but not the standby list so I don't think they were nonrevs. The last seat went to a nonrev (uniformed employee). The two people who were ahead of me on the upgrade list cleared into C+. I was surprised to see that they were Diamonds (boarding group showed Diamond). I don't know what happened here, but I wasn't questioning it.
Were the two DMs and you 1-2-3 on the upgrade list, and if so, is it possible they were traveling together? (EDIT: oh, I can't read, you said you were #3, although, people could've checked in after you so there's still some unknown variability -- was anyone else on the list at the gate?)

Since you cleared in advance and not at the gate, it's possible RM opened up exactly one seat in which case I think it would skip over a party of 2 and upgrade the next single. (At the gate they would page them and ask if they wanted to split up for the upgrade)
Old Sep 6, 2021, 2:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
SDQ-ATL -> Booked C+. Upgraded to F at the gate
ATL-DCA-> Booked C+. 3/14 for 0 seats.

DCA-MSP: Upgraded to C+ a few hours ahead of the window, 9/22 for 0 F seats.
MSP-SFO: Upgraded to C+ When first segment cleared, 13/27 for 0 F seats
SFO-JFK: Upgraded to C+ ahead of time but to a middle seat so downgraded to Y, 19/35 for 0 Delta One seats.
JFK-DCA: Upgraded to F at the window.

F: 2/6 = 33%
Old Sep 6, 2021, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by SDQBound
SDQ-ATL -> Booked C+. Upgraded to F at the gate
ATL-DCA-> Booked C+. 3/14 for 0 seats.

DCA-MSP: Upgraded to C+ a few hours ahead of the window, 9/22 for 0 F seats.
MSP-SFO: Upgraded to C+ When first segment cleared, 13/27 for 0 F seats
SFO-JFK: Upgraded to C+ ahead of time but to a middle seat so downgraded to Y, 19/35 for 0 Delta One seats.
JFK-DCA: Upgraded to F at the window.

F: 2/6 = 33%
as a Platinum 19 on SFO-JFK and 13 on MSP-SFO ,,,, what day of the week were these? Looking like the good old days lol
Old Sep 6, 2021, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by MarkCron
as a Platinum 19 on SFO-JFK and 13 on MSP-SFO ,,,, what day of the week were these? Looking like the good old days lol
Had a pretty good old days upgrade list back in July on an ATL-JAX, 47 people on the First list on a Thursday afternoon, was in confirmed First though.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Update on my late summer flying: 80% upgrade success in the past month, with some admittedly oddball itineraries and a couple Saturday morning flights where upgrades are ripe for the picking.

PM here, all solo flying, all on paid itineraries

8/5 LGA-DTW (A320) -- upgraded to F immediately upon making a SDC the night before to an earlier flight that was mostly empty because it appeared to be a repositioning flight they turned into a revenue flight (it was numbered DL8798)
8/7 DTW-HPN (CRJ9) -- upgraded to F at booking (booked ~72 hours out)
8/13 LGA-BNA (CRJ9) -- upgraded to F at the 5-day window
8/16 BNA-JFK (CRJ9) -- upgraded to F at the 5-day window

8/28 PVD-DTW (CRJ7) -- upgraded to F at the 5-day window
8/28 DTW-CLE (CRJ9) -- upgraded to C+ at booking, was #7 for upgrade to F, did not clear
8/30 CLE-LGA (CRJ9) -- upgraded to F at the 5-day window

9/1 JFK-ATL (B739) -- upgraded to F at the 5-day window
9/1 ATL-MSP (A321) -- upgraded to C+ at booking, was #11 for upgrade to F, did not clear
9/4 MSP-LGA (A221) -- upgraded to F at the 5-day window
Adelphos likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Zorak
Were the two DMs and you 1-2-3 on the upgrade list, and if so, is it possible they were traveling together? (EDIT: oh, I can't read, you said you were #3, although, people could've checked in after you so there's still some unknown variability -- was anyone else on the list at the gate?)

Since you cleared in advance and not at the gate, it's possible RM opened up exactly one seat in which case I think it would skip over a party of 2 and upgrade the next single. (At the gate they would page them and ask if they wanted to split up for the upgrade)
No one else on the list at the gate. RM opening one seat makes sense. The two Diamonds that were traveling together that cleared into C+ but not F boarded last and seemed to be out of breath, so it's possible that they weren't in the gate area for the GA to ask.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite / Delta Platinum / United Silver
PM in V class

9/10 RDU-MSP A319 - Upgraded to FC 4 hours out.

9/10 MSP-SNA A319 - Upgraded to C+ at gate. #8 for 4 FC seats.

9/12 LAX-JFK B764 - Upgraded to C+ at booking (really a Premium Select seat). #11/55 for 0 D1 at departure.

9/12 JFK-RDU CRJ9 - Upgraded to FC 2 days out.

Last edited by JackFranchino; Sep 12, 2021 at 10:16 am
Old Sep 10, 2021, 8:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MarkCron
MSP-SFO Thursday red eye, so totally expected.
SFO-JFK Sunday before Labor Day, I was expecting better.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
3/26 PDX - ATL - Denied
3/27 ATL - STT - Cleared with companion
4/3 STT - MSP - Denied
4/3 MSP - PDX - Cleared with companion
9/2 PDX - MSP - Cleared with companion
9/2 MSP - DCA - Denied
9/5 DCA - MSP - Cleared with companion
9/5 MSP - PDX - Cleared with companion
9/14 PDX - ATL - Denied
9/14 ATL - AUS - Cleared
9/14 AUS - MSP - Cleared
9/14 MSP - PDX - Cleared
9/30 PDX - MSP - Cleared with companion
9/30 MSP - PIT - Cleared with companion
10/1 PIT - MSP - Cleared with companion
10/1 MSP - PDX - Cleared with companion
10/13 PDX - ATL
10/13 ATL - AMS
10/14 AMS - BCN
10/17 BCN - AMS
10/17 AMS - SEA
10/17 SEA - PDX

Last edited by RacingJunkie; Sep 28, 2021 at 4:11 pm
Old Sep 14, 2021, 5:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by jamflyer
Silver Medallion (on a challenge) and got upgraded 3 of 4 legs on recent TPA-SLC-LAS. D1 on the outbound SLC-LAS and F on both legs on the return.
Update: 9/2-9/4 Upgraded to FC - both legs TPA-JFK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.