Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
PM here, traveling with my spouse who is a GM.
Does your spouse also get upgraded at the PM window? My girlfriend has no status, and I'm thinking of gifting her gold as a Diamond CB.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by JulioCesarSalad
PM, flying with partner ATL MIA on Sunday. 6 F seats left, both of us in paid C+

Am I wrong to feel hopeful about the upgrade chance? it's been pretty sweet after hitting PM, yesterday got an upgrade ORD LGA
I wouldn’t put too much hope into it especially a Sunday flight. Very unlikely there will still be 6 F seats left at the gate and probably half will be taken by last min bookings or IROPS/SDC leaving probably 2/3 seats left at the gate which will probably go to DMs on a high fare class or someone using a RUC/GUC. Also not sure why you would even pay for C+ as a PM? You can select it for free almost always right after booking if seats are still available.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I wouldn’t put too much hope into it especially a Sunday flight. Very unlikely there will still be 6 F seats left at the gate and probably half will be taken by last min bookings or IROPS/SDC leaving probably 2/3 seats left at the gate which will probably go to DMs on a high fare class or someone using a RUC/GUC. Also not sure why you would even pay for C+ as a PM? You can select it for free almost always right after booking if seats are still available.
I bought the tickets before making PM. But also it's my understanding that PM C+ upgrades are only available for the PM and not their companion?
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I bought the tickets before making PM. But also it's my understanding that PM C+ upgrades are only available for the PM and not their companion?
Thats partially true depending on the ticketing situation. If the tickets are on separate PNRs then the companion is not eligible (assuming no status) for C+ UG but if it’s all on the same PNR then yes they get the same UG priority as you for both C+ and FC.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
BOS-MSP today, GM, X fare, reserve card
uogrsted To C+ at T-25 and was 6/9 for 0 in FC
Old Aug 7, 2021, 12:55 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
6 Aug
DL 436
LAX-JFK
B764
6/18 for 6 Seats in D1

First flight back on this route since food returned, so I was happy to get the final upgrade. Side note, they handed out cookies in between the meal and the snack basket to promote the new T2/3 at LAX for Spring 2022, so there's that I guess.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL DM
Does your spouse also get upgraded at the PM window? My girlfriend has no status, and I'm thinking of gifting her gold as a Diamond CB.
Yes, when both of us are on the same PNR, we both get upgraded at the PM window. Basically as long as both people are on the same reservation, they should both clear at the higher medallion's window.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by HeyItsMK
6 Aug
DL 436
LAX-JFK
B764
6/18 for 6 Seats in D1

First flight back on this route since food returned, so I was happy to get the final upgrade. Side note, they handed out cookies in between the meal and the snack basket to promote the new T2/3 at LAX for Spring 2022, so there's that I guess.
I might be missing it, but what’s your status?

I’m an “earned” DM and will be taking this route in a couple of weeks and might roll the dice and not pay for D1.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by TheHorta

I’m an “earned” DM and will be taking this route in a couple of weeks and might roll the dice and not pay for D1.
I thought that "earned" vs "extended" wasn't a factor until next year.....?
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:06 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I thought that "earned" vs "extended" wasn't a factor until next year.....?
I think that’s the case, but… wasn’t there a heirarchy in upgrades of those who requalified for the subsequent year versus those who hadn’t — or
is my brain making that up?

It seems to do that a lot lately.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:59 pm

Upgrades are still easy to/from the West Coast. All upgrades cleared at the windows on my flights this week so neither of my flights had an upgrade list and empty seats in F both ways.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by TheHorta

I'm merely a PM, so your chances are probably good. Although I will say that I've been anywhere from 4 to 21 on this route, and at least it appears to me that people seem to like either buying last minute tickets or SDCing since I've seen available seats in D1 go from 18 to 3 at T-90 before the GA had even touched the upgrade list for my most extreme change, and for this flight, I was 5th until around T-60 when I got bumped down to 6. The GA upgraded us right before boarding.

Maybe all the pax trying to use upgrade certificates before they expired played a part in it, but now that their expiration got extended again, who knows?
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM
August 5th
2 passengers (PM and GM, same PNR)

DL2165
ECP-ATL
B717
C+ at booking, finished #3+4/12 for 1 seat.

DL1409
ATL-ANC
B767-300
C+ at booking, got the F UG! Finished #2+3/29 for 4 seats.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by The Situation
Upgrades are still easy to/from the West Coast. All upgrades cleared at the windows on my flights this week so neither of my flights had an upgrade list and empty seats in F both ways.
I flew JFK to LAX 2 weeks ago. 7am flight on Sunday. I was already in D1 so it didn't matter but there were 32 people on the upgrade list for 2 seats. Not sure I'd say it's a lock.

Return flight had over 20 people on the list for 4 seats.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by sonkie23
I flew JFK to LAX 2 weeks ago. 7am flight on Sunday. I was already in D1 so it didn't matter but there were 32 people on the upgrade list for 2 seats. Not sure I'd say it's a lock.

Return flight had over 20 people on the list for 4 seats.
Yeah my LAX to JFK 3 PM flight a few weeks ago has a 30+ person upgrade list. Flight by flight variability seems to be sky high in this era.

One thing I wonder is if DL is upgrading below-DM elites more frequently at their window, leaving fewer F seats available at the gate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.