Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by mot29
This is a paid or award ticket. How many miles do you have? You might want to either book into FC or book into coach and then ug to FC. With the current bonuses to maintain status it might be worthwhile.
It's a paid ticket. F is $700 compared to $500 for C+ (get that 175%). Normally I would secretly buy the upgraded seats without telling my GF for that price (did this for a Mexico trip in July) but we are planning to go to El Paso the week afterward, so they money is better spent on buying tickets for both trips vs just upgrading to F for the Miami trip. I might look at what the single MSP-MIA upgrade costs and do that instead if we do buy economy seats, but i wanted to check the chance of a free upgrade since I plan to get the mileage bonus anyway
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
JFK or LGA would be your best shot of an UG with ATL being the hardest. I use to fly MCO-DCA all the time for business pre-COVID and I even would get UGd often when connecting via JFK/LGA when I was just a Silver.
Why NY vs DTW? How come there's a better chance out of NY?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by HeyItsMK
9 June
DL 309
JFK-LAX
B764
6 of 17

GA came on to the plane to upgrade 1 pax to D1 and left their seat in C+(PS) open.

Interesting observations with booking this flight. I switched to this flight from the same one a day before about a week out. It showed pretty much a very empty plane which seemed weird compared to every other flight leaving that day. I don't know if my app just never updated from then, but my app still showed 22 open seats in D1, 7 in C+(PS) and about 160 in Y all up to OLCI where it dropped to 1 in D1, a full C+(PS) cabin, and about 20 seats in Y. I know not to rely on seating charts to gauge upgrades, just wondering if my app was being glitchy.

​​​​​​Experienced the receiving end of this situation a few weeks ago as a PM. #4 of 18 with 3 D1 show available SEA-JFK. Seated in C+ ready for the door to close, just as that was about to happen the gate agent and flight lead came to me (I thought I was in big trouble). Ended up moving up to D1. Never experienced more dirty looks, felt like I was delaying the flight 😂.
aeroman380 and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 8:42 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Need to go SLC-CDG for 4 days in November - DO prices $7-8K with wide open cabins.

1) I gather a new feature lists in small print whether seats in the main cabin are available for upgrade for each flight listed from a search 2) put together the exact itinerary I wanted, called DL, got the seats upgraded on Global certificates and got the best value yet for Global certificates: $1,350 vs $7,550 ($3,100 per certificate!) -( interestingly I am going from SLC-MRS in December one month earlier, and booked a $2,300 ticket in DO/C) - crazy times!)
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: DL PM
Flying SAN-BUF via redeye thru DTW. Upgraded into First at the 72 hour window last night for both segments
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
GM

6/21 MCI-SLC - 8/15 for 1 F seat, cleared T-72 for C+ middle (forgot to change my seat preferences to not upgrade me to a middle)
6/21 SLC-SNA - 14/25 for 0 F seats, 6/12 for 0 C+ seats, no surprise that I kept my original exit window seat
Old Jun 22, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
LAS-JFK redeye on June 19. #1 out of 12 on the upgrade list with zero first class seats. There were 19 people checked in with a total of 20 seats. I noticed 0 seats available changed to 1 as I sat down in my comfort+ seat. Told the closest FA about this and she said I’m sure the gate agent will come on board to let you know. Sure enough, gate agent came on board, waiting in line with the other passengers to let me know my upgrade cleared.
alanstar and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
I’ve been having amazing luck as a PM in the last couple of months:

5/6 SEA-SFO or the other way around I’ve gotten an upgrade on, including an honest battlefield upgrade after the doors closed coming back. I’m taking one tomorrow and got an upgrade at the window in both directions!

I was 1/2 on a SEA-JFK-SEA with a companion getting upgraded with me, unfortunately on the leg back which was a 737 and not a wide body.

Previously the SEA/SFO legs were much closer to 50/50, but it’s nearly guaranteed now, even on an E-175.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
GM

6/25 LAX-MCI, 3/6 for 2 F seats, cleared T-72 for C+, ended up #1 with 0 seats left
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:17 pm

Sliver here

DCA-ATL-ELP on Thursday evening, bought W. No upgrades, i was 3/2 on ATL-ELP

On the way back home I got first ELP-ATL, no upgrade to DCA.

got lucky, there were two seats left, I was 3/2, but one F passenger didn’t make it so I got their seat.

im 5k MQM from gold and can practically taste the consistent F upgrades for all future el PAO visits
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
First Delta flights since April

6/27 DL 2669 GPT-ATL 737-800 PM on a T Fare: Cleared at T-120
6/27 DL 2330 ATL-CLT 717-200 PM on a T Fare: Cleared at T-120

This makes me a robust 78.57% (11/14) on the year.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
SLC-SEA upgraded to F from Basic Economy/39A. “Not Upgrade Eligible” my a**!
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
SLC-SEA upgraded to F from Basic Economy/39A. “Not Upgrade Eligible” my a**!
Is that by discretion of the gate agent or did the system upgrade you?
Old Jun 30, 2021, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by jjangoo
Is that by discretion of the gate agent or did the system upgrade you?
The computer put me in 39A. Agents upgraded me to 5B before boarding. Full 757 and clearly they needed my original seat. Left with 6 people still on the actual upgrade list so not sure what happened. Not complaining though!

Last edited by DLASflyer; Jun 30, 2021 at 9:18 pm
Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
LAS-JFK redeye on July 3 this weekend. When upgrade window opened, there were six F seats available. Upgrade didn’t clear. Available F seats kept dwindling so I switched to LAS-ATL (767-400) and ATL-JFK (737-900er). Cleared instantly into F on both flights. I’m a happy camper!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.