Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
RDU - LGA
LGA - PWM
PWM - DTW

All cleared at PM window +1 with my wife (herself a GM) — first two flights were virtually empty so no surprise, PWM - DTW went out full (I think they override the blocked seats in Y based on a passenger who was complaining about it to the FAs).

DTW - RDU, C+ only, 3&4 on waitlist for zero seats. Flight went out completely full

Upcoming flights (only me, PM):

RDU - LGA
LGA - RDU

Both cleared at booking and seats selected after ticketing (was already within PM window when purchased — both flights appear less than 25% full as of now)

Looks like the direct flights between Portland and Detroit are all on E175s or CRJ900s. My experience has been that for the last few months they are only blocking seats on one side - so if you like a window and choose a D seat you will have C empty, but if you pick A-side you will have company. On planes with a 2-3 config, like the 717 and A220, only the one middle seat is blocked.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
DM reporting

4/6 RDU-SEA cleared at 5 days out on award ticket.
4/15-16 SEA-ATL-RDU used RUC to guarantee upgrade on a red-eye.
4/17 RDU-ATL cleared at gate, #1 for 1.
4/17 ATL-DEN cleared at gate #1 for 2. (not a 76x flight)
These were my first flights of 2021.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 5:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Smile

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I would have checked out GNV.
I did. The 100 mile search around JAX picked up both GNV and BQ as well as DAB. I had a significant client based in Gainesville in the 1980s, and used to travel there often. I'm getting to DAB after 10 pm, so traffic should not be an issue.

I remember going through Starke on US 301. I used to tell people that Starke was famous for one piece of furniture.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:42 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Sat 4/15: Cleared into FC on SEA-HNL (A332) W/ companion at booking. Used expiring RUCs, would have likely cleared regardless.
Tue 4/20: Cleared into FC on HNL-SEA (B764) W/ companion at 5-day PM window. Second time in FC/D1 this year on the 764 and I'm really enjoying that plane/cabin!

Have only flown 7 segments thus far in 2021 on a light travel year and I'm 4/7 for FC, all with my FO companion. 3 more flights coming up in 2 weeks and then hopefully things will start to pick up from there.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
DM

4/25:
DEN - LAX. Upgraded to C+ at booking, no upgrade to F. 0 seats available.
LAX - SJC. Upgraded to C+ at booking, to F at T-120.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I would have checked out GNV. The drive up I-95 from DAB to JAX can be hectic this time of year with all the tourist traffic and snow birds heading back up north. GNV is only 90 mins from JAX and is a straight shot up US-301 which is mostly a 4 lane rural highway and they just finished the Starke bypass so you no longer have to stop and slow down at all the traffic lights in Starke.
Wow. Glad to hear that. Used to be in GNV area for years and the speed traps in Waldo and Starke are a nightmare to me.

btw the plans between ATL and GNV are almost always the 50 seat tiny jet and the passengers may have to checking their carry-on bags for this flight upon boarding as the chunks are pretty small. Just to mention.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by COYG
Wow. Glad to hear that. Used to be in GNV area for years and the speed traps in Waldo and Starke are a nightmare to me.

btw the plans between ATL and GNV are almost always the 50 seat tiny jet and the passengers may have to checking their carry-on bags for this flight upon boarding as the chunks are pretty small. Just to mention.
The 35mph Waldo speed trap is still there, but thankfully Waldo is a lot smaller town than Starke and there is no traffic lights so it’s not that big of a deal. As far as CR2s into GNV, I believe they’ve upgraded most of the flights to CR9s year round and pre-COVID, GNV would sometimes get mainline service especially during the fall football season.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 4:50 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Southwest A-List
Hopefully, the unblocking of blocked seats on May 1 will bump up some of the numbers in this thread. Just 5 days now!
tardyturtle likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 10:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I went 2 for 4 on CHO-ATL-DAB and return. On the ATL-DAB (last flight of Friday night 4/23), I was #9 of 21 for 0 UG seats. I misconnected to the last flight ATL-CHO Sunday night (4/25) where I was #2 for 0 UG seats. I ended up on the 1000 flight 4/26 where I was #3 for 0 UG seats. I'm 8 for 12 UGs so far in 2021.

I was able to use RUCs on my next trip, which starts Wednesday morning 4/28, so I got a D1 sleeper seat in the middle leg DCA-JFK-LAX-RNO, and an F sleeper seat in the middle leg of RNO-SLC-ATL-DCA returning Sunday 5/2.

UG situation will change over the weekend with all F seats in play for the first time in 15 months. Hopefully people on here will be doing better.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ldonnelly
Hopefully, the unblocking of blocked seats on May 1 will bump up some of the numbers in this thread. Just 5 days now!
It will probably help, but not as much as you are expecting. Remember that DL was only selling ~67% of its Y seats before and with that % going up to 100% as well, there’s a good chance you will now have to compete with more elites again for those UGs as well. Also the “couple rule” will no longer be in effect so there won’t be anymore situations where the DL app says there’s 0 seats left at the gate with the 50% cap, but there are 2 couples traveling together so the GA can process 2 more UGs at the gate.
tardyturtle likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
RDU - ATL, 739, #5 for 0 (declined C+ at booking in favor of row 21F)
ATL - DEN, 764 cleared at PM window
DEN - ATL, 764 cleared at PM window
ATL - RDU, 739 cleared at PM window
ATL - RDU, A319 #12 for 0 after misconnect

87/10 for the year (plus 3/4 with GM companion)

Last edited by Duke787; Apr 27, 2021 at 1:47 pm
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond, Hertz Five Star
GM plus Reserve Card
Already bought C+

4/23
DCA to ATL 13 of 24ish for 0 (aka the no chance zone for F)
ATL to MOB cleared to F at 72 hours out; F went out with empty seats even at 50% and no upgrade list

So 50-50 for the year

Next flight as of now will be 7/14 and am interested to see how much of a difference being back at 100% capacity makes on upgrades
Old Apr 29, 2021, 7:02 am

I've had 100% upgrade success from C+ to FC over the last 3 months. 5 round trips from DTW to LAS, FLL, CUN, MIA, and one more trip to LAS. Diamond / Delta reserve with extremely high spend. I was cleared at the gate on all of those flights except for CUN, where we were upgraded about 48 hours out.

Interesting situation just happened though, which is why I'm making this post:

DTW ---> LAS Flying with my wife, Called up prior to boarding, and told there was one FC upgrade availl, I deferred it to my wife, as I don't mind the exit row in C+. All was fine at the gate, she moved into FC.

The day before our return LAS ---> DTW flight, I get an email from Delta that our 11am flight was cancelled, and I was put in a 2pm flight, wife was put on a red eye. I called Diamond customer service and was told that the agent in DTW split our tickets in order to upgrade my wife when I told them to upgrade her instead of me. The 2pm I was put on was full, so my only option was to change to the red eye with her. I declined that.

We both show up for the 2pm flight, I explain to the lady in check-in about my dilemma. The flight was showing full, with no seats avail. She immediately apologized for the issue and put us both on the 2pm flight in FC.

tl;dr; if you defer your upgrade to a traveling companion, make sure to just accept it under your name, and let your companion sit in the seat you were upgraded to.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by smallbizzguy
I've had 100% upgrade success from C+ to FC over the last 3 months. 5 round trips from DTW to LAS, FLL, CUN, MIA, and one more trip to LAS. Diamond / Delta reserve with extremely high spend. I was cleared at the gate on all of those flights except for CUN, where we were upgraded about 48 hours out.

Interesting situation just happened though, which is why I'm making this post:

DTW ---> LAS Flying with my wife, Called up prior to boarding, and told there was one FC upgrade availl, I deferred it to my wife, as I don't mind the exit row in C+. All was fine at the gate, she moved into FC.

The day before our return LAS ---> DTW flight, I get an email from Delta that our 11am flight was cancelled, and I was put in a 2pm flight, wife was put on a red eye. I called Diamond customer service and was told that the agent in DTW split our tickets in order to upgrade my wife when I told them to upgrade her instead of me. The 2pm I was put on was full, so my only option was to change to the red eye with her. I declined that.

We both show up for the 2pm flight, I explain to the lady in check-in about my dilemma. The flight was showing full, with no seats avail. She immediately apologized for the issue and put us both on the 2pm flight in FC.

tl;dr; if you defer your upgrade to a traveling companion, make sure to just accept it under your name, and let your companion sit in the seat you were upgraded to.
what you say in your tldr will still result in your records being split, you either both get upgrade or you both decline is only way to ensure record is not split
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MarkCron
what you say in your tldr will still result in your records being split, you either both get upgrade or you both decline is only way to ensure record is not split
Or a nice/knowledgeable agent could go in and just assign one of the two the seat without processing the upgrade. Most don’t know how to do this though, especially using SNAP
MarkCron and tardyturtle like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.