Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
what does this mean?

New Delta flyer reading and learning from the posts.

I have a TLV JFK flight coming up as a GM. Website shows ticket not upgradeable but on the app it shows the following. Explanation appreciated. I have othe domestic legs as well that shows availability different classes. On this attached fleet I am in economy which is now sold out. Does Delta leave Comfort etc empty or upgrade status economy? Wondering why it shows as waiting list or is that a generic feature and not relevant to my ticket?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
screenshot.pdf (31.4 KB, 47 views)
Old Jul 22, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by testycal

I have a TLV JFK flight coming up as a GM. Website shows ticket not upgradeable but on the app it shows the following. Explanation appreciated. I have othe domestic legs as well that shows availability different classes. On this attached fleet I am in economy which is now sold out. Does Delta leave Comfort etc empty or upgrade status economy? Wondering why it shows as waiting list or is that a generic feature and not relevant to my ticket?
You are not eligible for a medallion upgrade on TLV-JFK. If you had a GUC (Diamond Choice benefit), you could use that and get an upgrade if GUC-upgrade space is available.
testycal likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

Originally Posted by MarkCron
You are not eligible for a medallion upgrade on TLV-JFK. If you had a GUC (Diamond Choice benefit), you could use that and get an upgrade if GUC-upgrade space is available.
Not exactly. OP is not eligible for a medallion upgrade to PS or D1. OP is eligible for a medallion upgrade to C+ at the GM window as with any other flight on DL metal, domestic or international.

The only exception is if OP is on BE which is not explicitly eligible for C+ although at times the gate agent may end up assigning a medallion on a BE fare to C+ but it's not technically the case and definitely a YMMV situation.

You may also get a "FCM" offer where you can pay with cash (or the miles equivalent) to upgrade to D1 but this is obviously a paid option and typically is quite expensive (it's often just the fare difference between your ticket and a D1 ticket)
Old Jul 22, 2021, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Not exactly. OP is not eligible for a medallion upgrade to PS or D1. OP is eligible for a medallion upgrade to C+ at the GM window as with any other flight on DL metal, domestic or international.

The only exception is if OP is on BE which is not explicitly eligible for C+ although at times the gate agent may end up assigning a medallion on a BE fare to C+ but it's not technically the case and definitely a YMMV situation.

You may also get a "FCM" offer where you can pay with cash (or the miles equivalent) to upgrade to D1 but this is obviously a paid option and typically is quite expensive (it's often just the fare difference between your ticket and a D1 ticket)
I am an easily pleased traveller...I was only thinking of the Comfort Plus seating...I am currently in Row 37 or so in Main cabin window....I understand the only real difference with Comfort a f ew extra inches legroom. I did not want the exit aisle given the washrooms nearby, the economy section being 98% full and the tendency of passengners to "congregagte" in available spaces. I wanted to tuck myself in somewhere where I minimized interaction re Covid concerns (in which case I should not be flying but ...). So what you are saying "there is a chance?"
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by Duke787

yes that is correct, I was thinking only of upgrade to D1
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
July has been fairly good to me. 58% upgrade success... not bad considering my first two trips were booked on miles and four flights were hub-to-hub flying.

PM here, all solo flying

7/2 LGA-MSP (A321) -- no C+ available at booking (booked two days prior), was #6 for upgrade to C+ and #11 for upgrade to F, neither cleared (first time flying in Y on a mainline DL flight in 2+ years)
7/2 MSP-ABQ (A320) -- upgraded to C+ at booking, F was already full at booking, was #7 for upgrade to F, did not clear
7/5 ABQ-ATL (A321) and ATL-JFK (A333) -- upgraded to C+ at booking, upgraded to F 3 days out
7/8 JFK-SEA (A339) -- upgraded to C+ at booking (PS hard product), was #2 for upgrade to D1, did not clear
7/8 SEA-GEG (B738) and 7/12 GEG-SEA (B738) -- upgraded to C+ at booking, upgraded to F at the 5-day window
7/12 SEA-JFK (B739) -- upgraded to C+ at booking, was #4 for upgrade to F, did not clear
7/18 PIT-DTW (E175) -- upgraded to C+ at booking, upgraded to F at the 5-day window
7/18 DTW-BUF (E175) -- upgraded to C+ at booking, F showed as full at the 5-day window, was #6 for upgrade to F, did not clear
7/20 BUF-LGA (E175) -- upgraded to C+ at booking, upgraded to F at the 5-day window
7/31 JFK-ACK (CRJ9) -- upgraded to C+ at booked, upgraded to F at the 5-day window

Last edited by ohhleary; Jul 26, 2021 at 7:35 am Reason: Threw one more flight on the calendar for July!
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I am an easily pleased traveller...I was only thinking of the Comfort Plus seating...I am currently in Row 37 or so in Main cabin window....I understand the only real difference with Comfort a f ew extra inches legroom. I did not want the exit aisle given the washrooms nearby, the economy section being 98% full and the tendency of passengners to "congregagte" in available spaces. I wanted to tuck myself in somewhere where I minimized interaction re Covid concerns (in which case I should not be flying but ...). So what you are saying "there is a chance?"
Definitely a chance. Start checking the app at T-48 to see if it will let you select a C+ seat (depends when airport control takes over, I’m not sure when that is for TLV - JFK). If you can’t do it on the app, ask at check-in, and ask again at the gate. The upgrade will be by status (as with any other flight) so you’ll be behind and DM / PM (though they should all have cleared at booking given how many C+ are still showing available) and then you’ll be ahead of any FO
testycal likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 7:14 pm

a little confused..on the app I see an upgrade list and a standby list that show seats remaing..for upgrades broken down into classes and for standby numbers of seats. What does that represent ? and when this forum refers to being numbered on the upgrade list...where does that appear?
Old Jul 23, 2021, 7:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by ohhleary
7/8 JFK-SEA (A339) -- upgraded to C+ at booking (PS hard product), was #2 for upgrade to D1, did not clear
What was the UG list on that JFK-SEA on the A339? I'm taking it soon and trying to see if I'll clear into D1
Old Jul 24, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Decided to return home for the weekend (still in transit) LAX>ATL>HSV (just boarded ATL>HSV). I bought F just a few hours ago, but ATL>HSV was sold out up front and I could only select exit row. Shortly after purchase I got the C+ UG notice. F was showing 0.

Landed ATL 45 minutes ago and my BP now shows 1A. I presume this is because they hold 1A on the regionals for possible HC pax? (Or someone canceled).

I’ve only flown 20-30 times this year and buy F/J, so this is my first UG experience since 2019.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 3:51 pm

Update...little less than 3 days out upgraded to comfort plus on TLV JFK to middle section aisle with 2 empty seats to my right. As long as they remain empty that will make for a more enjoyable journey. The change was shown on my flight summary without any notice being given.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 9:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
How are the upgrades on SFO-JFK lately? Flying on the 4pm - currently 10 seats open in D1 and FCM is $965. C+ is sold out (I'm there now) and main cabin is pretty full.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Pretty long upgrade lists tonight… 23 people long tonight on PVD to MSP (missed the upgrade as I was booked on this late during IRROPs) and about 20 people long from MSP to LAX.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 4:15 pm

Flying with Delta with status is like buying a lottery ticket..kinda fun

Update...little less than 3 days out upgraded to comfort plus on TLV JFK to middle section aisle with 2 empty seats to my right. As long as they remain empty that will make for a more enjoyable journey. The change was shown on my flight summary without any notice being given.
Update ..now receiving emails.

LAX to SEA upgraded to First Class on 737 800 as GM in economy

JFK to LAX ..I am also in economy (not basic economy) ...Comfort Plus full even before any upgrades to anyone. First Class on 767 300 has 5 seats left. 20 seats left in economy. We are 2.5 days out from flight...I assume Delta leaves these seats available for sale given that the route is popular and then perhaps a chance at an upgrade? Not holding my breath of course.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Crossinator
What was the UG list on that JFK-SEA on the A339? I'm taking it soon and trying to see if I'll clear into D1
I booked that trip with miles, so I probably would've gotten the upgrade as a PM on a paid itinerary. I did get cleared into D1 on both JFK-SEA and the return on a paid itinerary in mid-June, and those were on 752s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.