Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2021, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
DL1220 SEA-FAI, 9 Jun; PM + non-status companion, V fare booked 14 May ... cleared at T-120 (no real surprise, seat map showed 19/20 available at time of booking and only ~6 in C+)

Edit — flight went out with 8 pax in F and maybe the same in C+

Last edited by jrl767; Jun 10, 2021 at 11:49 am
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
DL1539 FAI-SEA, Mon 14 Jun — similar to above; cleared at T-120 and we’re currently the only ones in F
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
9 June
DL 309
JFK-LAX
B764
6 of 17

GA came on to the plane to upgrade 1 pax to D1 and left their seat in C+(PS) open.

Interesting observations with booking this flight. I switched to this flight from the same one a day before about a week out. It showed pretty much a very empty plane which seemed weird compared to every other flight leaving that day. I don't know if my app just never updated from then, but my app still showed 22 open seats in D1, 7 in C+(PS) and about 160 in Y all up to OLCI where it dropped to 1 in D1, a full C+(PS) cabin, and about 20 seats in Y. I know not to rely on seating charts to gauge upgrades, just wondering if my app was being glitchy.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 7:06 am

Silver Medallion traveling with non status daughter. traveling on award ticket

6/12 LEX-DTW, number 4/5 and 5/5 on upgrade list with 0 seats (First Class was shown as full for a few weeks). I had done a paid upgrade to C+ for my family of 4 for $10 each because we have 40 min connection and I wanted us all toward the front.

6/12 DTW-JAC, cleared at 24 hours prior to departure. This flight is not very full . It was showing 134 seats remaining out 199 yesterday now showing as 84 seats remaining with 12 on stand by list. It was added by Delta fairly recently and I think there weren't many rental cars left for people to plan new trips (my theory anyway)

This is my first trip since earning Silver Status in December 2019. I used to fly fairly often for public meetings for work but that is obviously not happening now. No chance of being Silver next year. Happy to have gotten at least one upgrade out of it and its a decently long flight.

Question - if I am lucky enough to get an upgrade on the return trip can I swap my son (who is on my husband's ticket) for my daughter so they both get to try first class?
Old Jun 11, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by straychicken

6/12 LEX-DTW, number 4/5 and 5/5 on upgrade list with 0 seats (First Class was shown as full for a few weeks). I had done a paid upgrade to C+ for my family of 4 for $10 each because we have 40 min connection and I wanted us all toward the front.

6/12 DTW-JAC, cleared at 24 hours prior to departure. This flight is not very full . It was showing 134 seats remaining out 199 yesterday now showing as 84 seats remaining with 12 on stand by list. It was added by Delta fairly recently and I think there weren't many rental cars left for people to plan new trips (my theory anyway)

This is my first trip since earning Silver Status in December 2019. I used to fly fairly often for public meetings for work but that is obviously not happening now. No chance of being Silver next year. Happy to have gotten at least one upgrade out of it and its a decently long flight.

Question - if I am lucky enough to get an upgrade on the return trip can I swap my son (who is on my husband's ticket) for my daughter so they both get to try first class?

If you ask the gate agent, I'm sure they'll allow you to swap seats with your son so he can try first class.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 9:24 pm

Well that did not work out at all. Around 8:30 pm tonight - we received notice that our first flight due to depart tomorrow at 6:29 am was delayed 5 1/2 hours and through I tried I couldn't find a way to stay on the flight from Detroit to Jackson so I lost the first class upgrade.

I called Delta for help and was quoted 6 hours and 10 min with no option for call back. So I called Signapore via Skype (thanks Flyer Talk for that tip) and eventually got rebooked going through Cincinnati. I more bummed about arriving later than I am loosing the upgrade. Worried about there not being a car when I get there. If we make it and get a car I will be relieved. I noticed that I am on the upgrade lists for the new flights and not my daughter but there are so few seats and I am so far down that it won't matter

Last edited by straychicken; Jun 11, 2021 at 9:36 pm
Old Jun 11, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Well that did not work out at all. Around 8:30 pm tonight - we received notice that our first flight due to depart tomorrow at 6:29 am was delayed 5 1/2 hours and through I tried I couldn't find a way to stay on the flight from Detroit to Jackson so I lost the first class upgrade.

I called Delta for help and was quoted 6 hours and 10 min with no option for call back. So I called Signapore via Skype (thanks Flyer Talk for that tip) and eventually got rebooked going through Cincinnati.
Looks like the 6:10am CVG-DTW is J2Y2; one option might be to confirm two of you on CVG-DTW-JAC, and put the other two on standby (if they don't get on CVG-DTW, they would take the later option, CVG-SLC-JAC I presume?). Depends on whether you're comfortable taking the risk of splitting up.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 2:53 am

First flights of 2021 and first upgrade experience in ~2 years of having status:

GM with a non status companion traveling

LGA > MSP - upgraded at the GM window to F
HNL > LAX - upgraded about 48 hours before flight to F
LAX > JFK - surprised this came through. upgraded to C+ about 48 hours before flight
straychicken likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by aacar
Looks like the 6:10am CVG-DTW is J2Y2; one option might be to confirm two of you on CVG-DTW-JAC, and put the other two on standby (if they don't get on CVG-DTW, they would take the later option, CVG-SLC-JAC I presume?). Depends on whether you're comfortable taking the risk of splitting up.
I hadnt thought of splitting us. The agent told me she only had one seat on the 610 am. Seems like an additonal seat opened later. She looked at another flight at 830 through SLC but could not get us seats together. I am traveling with an 8 year old so that doesnt work. She ended up putting us on 11 am through MSP. It arrives around 4 hours later than original which normally would not be a big deal. But I have a potental issue with car more than just the general shortage. I was originally to fly in Pocatello ID but changed my airfare to Jackson in Jan. I used the modify button on Enterprises website. But for some reason the Pocatello ID location has my original reservation as if it didint update picking up June 11 at noon in Pocatello even through it shows Jackson at 10 am today when I view. The Pocatello ID location called when I didnt pick up a car a noon yesterday. I explained I am still coming but to Jackson and asked them not to cancel. They said they will leave it in place. Its bizarre. I fear it might automatically cancel at noon today. We arrive at 230 pm. Corporate says they dont see a Pocatello ID reservation and all is good. I will be so happy if we get a car.

Last edited by straychicken; Jun 12, 2021 at 3:36 am
Old Jun 13, 2021, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Plat no reserve, cheap fare class, Wednesday morning

RDU-DTW (717), cleared at window
DTW-ORD (E75), 2 of 12 for 2. The person before me cleared at T-60, I cleared at T-30 as the GA started asking for preboarders.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: Skymiles
What are my chances of getting upgraded on the way to Miami as a gold?

I’m in DC and would like to go to Miami for our anniversary in August.

we have three options: connect in ATL, DTW, or LGA/JFK to get to Miami.

what are the chances I would get upgraded to first as a gold? Which airport would give me the best chance? It would be flying out on a Saturday, fly home on Tuesday. Keep in mind that august is the Miami low season and smack in the middle of hurricane season, so I’m hoping it means less status travelers
Old Jun 16, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by JulioCesarSalad

what are the chances I would get upgraded to first as a gold? Which airport would give me the best chance? It would be flying out on a Saturday, fly home on Tuesday. Keep in mind that august is the Miami low season and smack in the middle of hurricane season, so I’m hoping it means less status travelers
This is a paid or award ticket. How many miles do you have? You might want to either book into FC or book into coach and then ug to FC. With the current bonuses to maintain status it might be worthwhile.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by JulioCesarSalad

JFK or LGA would be your best shot of an UG with ATL being the hardest. I use to fly MCO-DCA all the time for business pre-COVID and I even would get UGd often when connecting via JFK/LGA when I was just a Silver.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 3:18 pm
viz

Programs: DL DM, AC 75K, NEXUS, Bonvoy Platinum
LGA-MIA on Fri AM departure, GM, award ticket, upgraded to F at D-3.
For comparison, MIA-ATL only has 1 F seat left after the PM/DM window opened.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
On my most recent trip, DCA-MSP-GTF-MSP-IAD, I got upgraded to F at the 120 hour window on the last three segments. I could have bought an upgrade to F DCA-MSP for about $90 when I bought the ticket in April, but passed. I ended up at #11 out of 28 for 2 UG seats on a 1 pm Thursday departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.