Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2021, 9:25 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
10 April
DL 542
LAX-MCO
B753
Upgraded D-3

2/4 Upgraded at the Gate
The flight left with whoever was supposed to sit in front of me not showing up and then a couple who had booked separately and had taken up two pairs of seats moving together after takeoff, so technically there would have been room for everyone to have been upgraded.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
GM + companion (no status) on a V fare, reserve card

4/12
DL 3544 ORD-DTW: upgraded to C+ at the window, #3 and 4 out of 9 for 2 seats in F
DL 2120 DTW-BOS: no upgrades (not even exit row - all were taken by DL employees). #4 and 5 out of 7 for 1 seat in C+, and #7 and 8 out of 20 for 0 in F.

First time I haven’t even gotten C+ since before Covid..
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pharmflyer
GM + companion (no status) on a V fare, reserve card

4/12
DL 3544 ORD-DTW: upgraded to C+ at the window, #3 and 4 out of 9 for 2 seats in F
DL 2120 DTW-BOS: no upgrades (not even exit row - all were taken by DL employees). #4 and 5 out of 7 for 1 seat in C+, and #7 and 8 out of 20 for 0 in F.

First time I haven’t even gotten C+ since before Covid..
Why couldn’t you select the exit row at booking? Isn’t it a preferred seat?

Or was it C+ here? I would definitely send a complaint to DL on this because their employees should not be sitting in upgraded or preferred seats before their elite guests.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Why couldn’t you select the exit row at booking? Isn’t it a preferred seat?

Or was it C+ here? I would definitely send a complaint to DL on this because their employees should not be sitting in upgraded or preferred seats before their elite guests.
All exit row seats showed taken at time of booking (booked 5 weeks in advance). I checked every day but all were reserved.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:36 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pharmflyer
All exit row seats showed taken at time of booking (booked 5 weeks in advance). I checked every day but all were reserved.
Thanks for the reply!

Taken - as in blocked? Or with little people icons sitting in the seats?
Old Apr 13, 2021, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Thanks for the reply!

Taken - as in blocked? Or with little people icons sitting in the seats?
People icons, not blocked. 15C opened up a few hours before departure but I needed another one for my companion - oh well!
Old Apr 14, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
First flight with Delta this year. Currently a DM.

DL 896 SJC - SLC, DL 2487 SLC - DEN
Upgraded to C+ at booking, upgraded to F at T-120

Am a little bit surprised to see if I'm the only PM+ the plane that did not book F directly, as I noticed the number of available first seats only negated by 2 (4 -> 2, 3 -> 1, for me and my companion) after our upgrade within the T-120 window.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 4:57 pm

Programs: Delta GM
FO with companion

4/11 DTW-LAS missed

4/14 LAS-DTW C+ at the gate
Free drinks are wasted when flying home from Vegas in the morning. Lesson learned 😂
Old Apr 20, 2021, 7:57 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
April 1 - ATW-ATL-GPT - Wife (GM) and I (DM) upgraded all legs
April 4 - Return - SDC to earlier flights and same result; GPT- ATL at gate due to one no show allowing us to fill both seats of a CR9, ATL-ATW at time of SDC

April 19 - DM, U fare, 2 of 20 ATW-ATL early AM, missed upgrade - seeing multiple DM’s on this flight when utilizing. Seems a mix of cheap buy ups by leisure or lower elites and still many DM’s from the area competing, so higher fares can easily win out. Possible people burning RUC’s also.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
23 Apr DL1356 SEA-ATL (redeye 764), 4 open seats at time of booking ~T-80, cleared at T-72.5

24 Apr DL1686 ATL-SAT (A321), ~8 open seats, cleared ~2 hrs after booking
Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: DL - PM
20 Apr DL 2541 MCO-SLC: upgraded three weeks before departure. That's not a typo and I didn't use a certificate, so I have no idea how it happened. Flight left with six of the twenty FC seats filled and a completely empty upgrade list.
20 Apr DL 2503 SLC-BOI: upgraded at the window. No FC seats remained available at check-in, upgrade list was 14 long
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I've got an oddball itinerary for this weekend; I'm going to a funeral in Jacksonville Beach, Florida. It turns out that the UFC is having one of their big fight nights at the sports arena next to the football stadium in Jacksonville, and the prices to fly into JAX on Friday from the DC area on the Big D were close to $1k RT when I was shopping for the ticket last week..

Therefore, I used the advanced search option on delta.com and came up with a CHO-ATL-DAB-ATL-CHO trip for $360.00. I live about halfway between CHO and BWI, and it only takes 15 minutes longer to drive to CHO than BWI at times of low traffic (during the rush hour in DC, CHO might be 30 minutes closer). I got upgraded at the T-120 window CHO-ATL and DAB-ATL. ATL-DAB is zeroed out in F; I got C+ upon booking; ATL-CHO has 2 F seats left; I also got C+ for this flight at booking.

CHO is an outstanding regional airport, where you can park in a lot almost next to the terminal for $9 per day, the entrance to TSA is a few steps from the front door, and the Delta gate is barely 50 feet from the exit from TSA. Also, TSA operates a separate pre-check line. The architecture of the building is very pleasing, with some Jeffersonian touches as you might imagine.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ND76
I've got an oddball itinerary for this weekend; I'm going to a funeral in Jacksonville Beach, Florida. It turns out that the UFC is having one of their big fight nights at the sports arena next to the football stadium in Jacksonville, and the prices to fly into JAX on Friday from the DC area on the Big D were close to $1k RT when I was shopping for the ticket last week..

Therefore, I used the advanced search option on delta.com and came up with a CHO-ATL-DAB-ATL-CHO trip for $360.00. I live about halfway between CHO and BWI, and it only takes 15 minutes longer to drive to CHO than BWI at times of low traffic (during the rush hour in DC, CHO might be 30 minutes closer). I got upgraded at the T-120 window CHO-ATL and DAB-ATL. ATL-DAB is zeroed out in F; I got C+ upon booking; ATL-CHO has 2 F seats left; I also got C+ for this flight at booking.

CHO is an outstanding regional airport, where you can park in a lot almost next to the terminal for $9 per day, the entrance to TSA is a few steps from the front door, and the Delta gate is barely 50 feet from the exit from TSA. Also, TSA operates a separate pre-check line. The architecture of the building is very pleasing, with some Jeffersonian touches as you might imagine.
I would have checked out GNV. The drive up I-95 from DAB to JAX can be hectic this time of year with all the tourist traffic and snow birds heading back up north. GNV is only 90 mins from JAX and is a straight shot up US-301 which is mostly a 4 lane rural highway and they just finished the Starke bypass so you no longer have to stop and slow down at all the traffic lights in Starke.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Pair of Wednesday morning CR9 flights. Wasn't really worried about the upgrades since the F cabin was only being half filled and I was able to get 8D with 8C blocked on both flights.

Plat, cheap fare class (maybe X)

RDU-DTW, 5th of 11 for 1
DTW-ORD, 4th of 9 for 1

Flying it again in a couple of weeks and fully expect the same result.
I was wrong, my pair of upgrades for Friday (same flights) cleared at the Plat window. I don't know if it is just that Friday AM has less business travel than Wednesday AM these days, or it is the lack of Spring Break vacationers.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
RDU - LGA
LGA - PWM
PWM - DTW

All cleared at PM window +1 with my wife (herself a GM) — first two flights were virtually empty so no surprise, PWM - DTW went out full (I think they override the blocked seats in Y based on a passenger who was complaining about it to the FAs).

DTW - RDU, C+ only, 3&4 on waitlist for zero seats. Flight went out completely full

Upcoming flights (only me, PM):

RDU - LGA
LGA - RDU

Both cleared at booking and seats selected after ticketing (was already within PM window when purchased — both flights appear less than 25% full as of now)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.