Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:05 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
First booking since March 2020.
DCA-PBI-DCA Tuesday Out, Wednesday Return. Connecting in ATL.

Booked Main. Didn't get the C+ upgrades after booking. (PM) In fact, the booking system doesn't show upgrade eligibility during the booking process. I messaged DL through the app just to make sure I was wait listed. Got a canned response about DL complimentary upgrades clearing if there's availability. I had to ask twice to have them check my PNR to make sure my upgrades were requested. Very passive aggressive attitude from the chat agent.

I'll update if anything clears.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
First booking since March 2020.
DCA-PBI-DCA Tuesday Out, Wednesday Return. Connecting in ATL.

Booked Main. Didn't get the C+ upgrades after booking. (PM) In fact, the booking system doesn't show upgrade eligibility during the booking process. I messaged DL through the app just to make sure I was wait listed. Got a canned response about DL complimentary upgrades clearing if there's availability. I had to ask twice to have them check my PNR to make sure my upgrades were requested. Very passive aggressive attitude from the chat agent.

I'll update if anything clears.
I'd try to look at the PNR on delta.dumb to check and then also *call* to make sure, assuming that you care about getting the upgrade.

Does C+ look full on your flights?
Old Feb 4, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd try to look at the PNR on delta.dumb to check and then also *call* to make sure, assuming that you care about getting the upgrade.

Does C+ look full on your flights?
3 of the 4 flights looks empty. Meaning, almost all Y seats are available (with the exception of the blocked middle seats) The ATL-PBI leg has a few more seats occupied.
All of F on all flights is wide open. (according the the seat map)

I double checked to make sure my "request upgrade" was checked. It is. Flights are in two weeks, so I'm not sure why DL would be withholding the upgrade inventory for C+.
The flights are short, so it's not that big of a deal, but I found it very odd that these didn't clear into C+. For comparison, the fare difference was about $35/RT, so not even much of an upsell. I was just figuring I'd easily get the PM upgrade.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you traveling alone?

Look at the PNR on the DL app. See whether it will let you move to C+ seats for free. If not, is DL trying to sell you an upgrade to C+ and/or FC? (FCM/C+CM)
tardyturtle likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:14 pm

Are you traveling alone?

Look at the PNR on the DL app. See whether it will let you move to C+ seats for free. If not, is DL trying to sell you an upgrade to C+ and/or FC? (FCM/C+CM)
Thanks for the suggestion. I went into the app. Went to change seats and it let me move into C+. Confirmed the seats at SU. No charge. So basically it was like "upgrade available" but the system didn't move me.
This frustrates me even more since the agent on the chat told me I had to be wait listed.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM
I had some trips in December and January where my upgrade didn't clear at booking but randomly cleared a couple weeks later. In these cases, I wasn't able to select C+ off the seat map either. In other cases, I have had the same experience as above that often you just need to go into the seat map and C+ seats are freely available for you to choose.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 2:54 pm

Saw this on a recent flight—three pax on BE tickets upgraded at the gate on a CRJ9. Wondering if these are medallion members who the GA did a favor for or regular BE pax who just got lucky...

Old Feb 7, 2021, 3:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tardyturtle
Saw this on a recent flight—three pax on BE tickets upgraded at the gate on a CRJ9. Wondering if these are medallion members who the GA did a favor for or regular BE pax who just got lucky...

On a regional jet it could also be weight and balance
Old Feb 7, 2021, 8:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
2/6 DL 1585 RDU-ATL 737-900: PM on a K Fare: Cleared at T-120
2/6 DL 713 ATL-PDX 737-900: PM on a K Fare: Cleared at T-72
2/7 DL 962 PDX-MSP 737-900: PM on a T Fare: Cleared at Boarding
2/7 DL 4688 MSP-RDU CRJ-900: PM on a T Fare: Cleared at T-72

Haven't had a trip like this since pre-COVID. PDX-MSP was a surprise as I was showing #3 for 1 until boarding.

Now 80.00% (4/5) on the year.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
Recent trip - first way (X fare, Reserve card) with a companion (no status) and way back (V fare, Reserve card) on my own (GM):

2/4: DL752 BOS-DTW (A319) both upgraded to C+ at T-36, #10 and 11 out of 21 for 0 seats in First
2/4: DL5597 DTW-ORD (E175) both upgraded to First at GM window

2/7: DL5813 ORD-DTW (E175) upgraded to First at GM window (actually was offered 2 (!!) beers on this short flight)
2/7: DL475 DTW-BOS (A319) upgraded to C+ at GM window, 5/10 for 2 seats in First
Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tardyturtle

Were there others on the upgrade list for FC? Did C+ seem to be full (often a good indicator of whether the flight is elite heavy)?
Old Feb 8, 2021, 1:05 pm

Were there others on the upgrade list for FC? Did C+ seem to be full (often a good indicator of whether the flight is elite heavy)?
Nobody else was on the upgrade list and these passengers brought first to a capacity of 8 (full). There were a few passengers in C+, but none of them were on the upgrade list so doubtful they are elites.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Are the BE/waiting for seat assignment ("standby") lists sorted by status (etc. as the upgrade list would be) or check in time? Genuine standbys should be ordered by DL's published criteria for doing IDBs.

Sometimes you can tell whether some nonelite got a surprise OPUP versus an upgraded elite by the excited shrieks of "Wow, I've never been in FC before" etc. upon boarding as well as the little signs such as not being aware that coats will be hung up and that no payment is required for alcohol.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:32 pm

Are the BE/waiting for seat assignment ("standby") lists sorted by status (etc. as the upgrade list would be) or check in time? Genuine standbys should be ordered by DL's published criteria for doing IDBs.

Sometimes you can tell whether some nonelite got a surprise OPUP versus an upgraded elite by the excited shrieks of "Wow, I've never been in FC before" etc. upon boarding as well as the little signs such as not being aware that coats will be hung up and that no payment is required for alcohol.
Are they hanging coats up again? In the just under 60 flights I have been on in the last 12 months, I have had *two* where they offered to let me hang up my own coat. They said that they weren't allowed to touch it under the current rules. Most never mentioned it at all, unless asked, and either told people to put them in the bins or just said that they weren't doing that anymore.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Are they hanging coats up again? In the just under 60 flights I have been on in the last 12 months, I have had *two* where they offered to let me hang up my own coat. They said that they weren't allowed to touch it under the current rules. Most never mentioned it at all, unless asked, and either told people to put them in the bins or just said that they weren't doing that anymore.
On my last flight, one pax had his coat hung in the closet. When we arrived, he asked the FA if he could have his coat, and she apologized for not having brought it out and that she hadn't had it as part of her routine for so long that she forgot to hand coats back out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.