Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
LGA-MSP tomorrow morning, booked on Tuesday morning. No C+ seats available at booking, 3 F seats shown as open.

I'm #4 for a C+ upgrade on a paid ticket as a PM (and #5 for F). Can't even get a preferred seat in Y -- in 20 flights on DL's A321s, I've never sat in Y and tomorrow I'll get the joy of sitting in row 37.

What a difference two weeks makes. I was the first one off the plane on my last flight... this time, I'll most likely be the last one off.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM
I am flying tomorrow ATL-SLC-FAI on the best connection (there is only one SLC-FAI flight).
I am PM and had no problem getting upgraded on a main cabin award ticket at the window for all the flights.

I checked just now though and there is one seat available with an upgrade certificate ATL SLC (5:22pm departure 3 July). I guess I don't know that's the same bucket from which complimentary upgrades come.
Right now that's a lie-flat seat (I say right now because I'm not counting any chickens regarding potential aircraft changes).

SLC FAI has at least nine seats available with an upgrade certificate (not lie-flat). Wide open.
Likewise for the return FAI SLC the following day 4 July.

SLC ATL (the 8:15am departure 4 July) does not have any seats available with upgrade certificate though it does have seats. That's also lie-flat.

FWIW.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:59 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Contradancer
I checked just now though and there is one seat available with an upgrade certificate ATL SLC (5:22pm departure 3 July). I guess I don't know that's the same bucket from which complimentary upgrades come.
It's not; supported upgrades use OY inventory, comp upgrades use OU.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 12:10 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
On my most recent trip DCA-MSP-SLC-DTW-DCA, I got upgraded at the 5 day window for MSP-SLC and DTW-DCA. On the morning of departure, I found out that SkyWest had downsized the MSP-SLC to a CRJ-200, so I lost my upgrade (although the GA in MSP gave me two seats to myself near the front of the plane, which he did for the other seven pax who were previously seated in F). The DTW-DCA flight was a new A220; this flight will always be memorable because the crack FA scolded me for taking three packs of Goldfish (after I had been in a DTW SkyClub with essentially no food or drink).

As I was able to buy upgrades for 9,900 and 4,900 miles DCA-MSP and STL-DTW respectively, I took those deals; there were over 20 pax on the UG list DCA-MSP; I finished my business early in STL and was able to SDC to an earlier flight and still be seated in F as the result of the "paid" upgrade. So I ran into the water main break at DTW that essentially ruined my four hour layover there.

I might have to make a quick trip to California in a few days; other than that, I'm not sure I'll have any reason to travel again until October. Therefore, I don't mind using miles to upgrade, as they are not doing me any good sitting unused in my account. Sadly, even relatively short air trips are taking a lot out of me these days.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 4:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
JFK-LAS on 757 w/ Delta One on July 3

Couple hours after checking in, I was #5 out of 11 with 5 seats left. Upgraded maybe 10-15min before boarding was scheduled to start.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
RDU - MSP (A319) -- paid FCM
MSP - MSN (A321) -- #1 and #2 for 1 seat (traveling with GM wife), declined F upgrade for 13EF (C+)

MSN - ATL (717) -- #1 and #2 for 0
ATL - RDU (757) -- cleared at PM window

Above cancelled due to 717 going MX at MSN. Rebooked flights:

MSN - DTW (CR2) -- N/A
DTW - RDU -- #2 and #3 for 0 (both F and C+ due to IRROPs and rebooking)
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Last minute, quick one day trip to/from Dallas this week - Gold with DL:

JFK-DFW on E75 (upgraded immediately after booking - got the last single seat)
DFW-LGA on 221 (upgraded less than 6 hours after booking - email notification for both came in around the same time)

Probability of upgrade was almost 100% even at booking based on the number of open F seats, C+ and main cabin seating availability (C+ being almost wide open) - lots of leisure crowd.

On separate tickets due to cost (cheap to have different origin and return airports). Original fare bucket for both were C+ before the upgrade - outbound was only $25 more than cheapest available Y fare bucket; inbound $45 more.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL PM
Few datapoints from my somewhat limited travels this year. I've been pretty lucky thus far!

MSP-MCO May 14th: cleared to F at booking for myself + 1 guest (booked May 12th). Was a late night flight so went out with empty seats in F.
MCO-MSP May 15th: cleared to F at booking for myself + 1 guest. Also a late night flight, but F ended up full IIRC.

MSP-PHX May 22nd: cleared to F 5 days out for myself + 1 guest.
PHX-MSP May 22nd: applied RUC for two pax shortly after booking, cleared immediately.

MSP-SEA Jun 9th: cleared to F 5 days out for myself + 1 guest.
SEA-MSP Jun 13th: applied RUC couple days before which cleared at the gate (split PNR from my companion).

MSP-ATL July 8th: cleared F 5 days out for myself + 1 guest (on an A330 no less!)
ATL-MSP July 9th: cleared F 5 days out for myself + 1 guest (on an A330 no less!)
Old Jul 8, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Upgraded on both legs of LGA to PWM (and back) over the weekend. The trip back was on a SkyMiles redemption. Not a long flight but still nice to get the upgrade. My general impression is that upgrades are a bit easier now than normal
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
GM (reserve card) with companion (no-status, used AMEX companion cert), on X fare

7/14 BOS-ORD cleared to F at the window
Old Jul 15, 2021, 10:36 am
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
Silver Medallion on award ticket and got upgraded to F at check-in on SEA-SMF. Also able to change seat to the port-side window and aisle seat on a E175.

Return trip is already full in F and C+ is mostly full.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Strange UG today. My 5 day window was this morning and before I went to bed last night, FC was wide open. This morning I never received a e-mail or app notification on my UG but I logged into my app and I was already automatically upgraded. It’s been 5 hours since I saw I was upgraded and I still haven’t gotten a e-mail or app notification on the UG, very strange.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 6:25 am

Programs: Delta GM
Weds 7/21 SBN-DTW 600AM CR900

FO on award ticket. C+ at window, 3/3 for 1 in DC
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Strange UG today. My 5 day window was this morning and before I went to bed last night, FC was wide open. This morning I never received a e-mail or app notification on my UG but I logged into my app and I was already automatically upgraded. It’s been 5 hours since I saw I was upgraded and I still haven’t gotten a e-mail or app notification on the UG, very strange.
I find the UG emails to be inconsistent.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 11:11 am

PM and was 3 for 3 with non-status companion this week:

JFK-MIA: Reasonably full 767. Upgraded to C+ at time of booking, lieflat F right at 5 day window (though UG email came quite some time later)
LGA-SDF: E75, C+ upgraded at booking, F right at 5 day window
SDF-LGA: E75, C+ upgraded at booking, F at 5 day window

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.