Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by yosithezet
The link leads to a statement about the paper being withdrawn and a warning about fake news.
No. The link leads to a statement from the professor, referring to withdrawn papers and fake news.

Did you actually read it, or just the first sentence?
bobbytables likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:07 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
No. The link leads to a statement from the professor, referring to withdrawn papers and fake news.

Did you actually read it, or just the first sentence?
I read everything that showed up in the browser. Seems to be a single page with what I noted.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:11 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Here's a link to the actual paper from the publishers site:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1111/eci.13222

John Ioannidis is a hugely respected voice is evidence-based medicine.

tb

PS However, I don't actually agree fully with him...I agree that measures need to be evidence-based as much as possible, but that's not always possible. I also disagree that extrapolating the thousands of deaths as of March actually tells us very much about what the final death toll will be. Finally, he doesn't actually even touch on the health-care infrastructure strain that we are seeing already in all places that have seen > 0.1% of the population infected, and that, regardless of whether we finally see 5%, 10% or 80% of the population infected, is likely to be the fate of almost every nation on earth...

Last edited by trueblu; Mar 22, 2020 at 6:20 am
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I read everything that showed up in the browser. Seems to be a single page with what I noted.
It is a 9-page PDF document. The "fake news and withdrawn papers" headline refers to alarmism noted by the professor.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:12 am

it’s a multiple pages PDF. At the end of the first page is the beginning of a discussion about the harm of fake news (relating to some *other* retracted papers). Upon reading it again myself I can’t comprehend how you’ve interpreted it the way that you did. In any case, try right click and “save link as” or equivalent and see if that gets you the whole thing.
narvik and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:15 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by trueblu
Here's a link to the actual paper from the publishers site:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1111/eci.13222

John Ioannidis is a hugely respected voice is evidence-based medicine.

tb
Tb, one different question - if people who got sick by the virus, gone thru complete recovery and have developed immunity - is there any reason to keep such people locked in?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
The link leads to a statement about the paper being withdrawn and a warning about fake news.

It should lead to a 9-page paper entitled:
Article type : Editorial
Coronavirus disease 2019: the harms of exaggerated information and non-evidence-based
measures
John P.A. Ioannidis

This is the author:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ioannidis
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:18 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Thanks. A long click on the iPad brought the PDF into a preview mode where scrolling was then possible.

interesting piece.

I’d forgotten about the Chinese woman and her four German colleagues who was symptomatic but not asked. Seems like so much time has passed.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by invisible
Tb, one different question - if people who got sick by the virus, gone thru complete recovery and have developed immunity - is there any reason to keep such people locked in?
As I've mentioned before, serological testing will be really important, but will really only come into play once at least 5% of the population have been infected. Italy will be there very soon, rest of Europe in a month or maybe less, and US in about 45 days...

If we can develop a point-of-care serological test, and then somehow issue a 'pass' to that person, it would be really useful to martial a volunteer workforce (honestly, my priorities are on service to society than personal freedoms, ymmv). Gosh, brings back memories of "contagion", which I took my then newly-wed wife to over a decade ago so she could see what may be around the corner!

tb
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
As I've mentioned before, serological testing will be really important, but will really only come into play once at least 5% of the population have been infected. Italy will be there very soon, rest of Europe in a month or maybe less, and US in about 45 days...

If we can develop a point-of-care serological test, and then somehow issue a 'pass' to that person, it would be really useful to martial a volunteer workforce (honestly, my priorities are on service to society than personal freedoms, ymmv). Gosh, brings back memories of "contagion", which I took my then newly-wed wife to over a decade ago so she could see what may be around the corner!

tb
On a personal level, I would absolutely do any amount of service to society to regain some personal freedoms I hold dear.

But in the wider sense... I do worry about creating two classes of people in such a significant way. Covid-19 has captured the attention of the world in a way almost nothing has for a long time.

The difference in freedom and opportunity between the “pass” and the “no data / fail” would be very significant. Since “no test” would no doubt be generally viewed the same as “fail”, at an absolute minimum we must ensure that such testing is available to all equally. I’m not sure that our societies are set up in a way that can ensure that.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by bobbytables
On a personal level, I would absolutely do any amount of service to society to regain some personal freedoms I hold dear.

But in the wider sense... I do worry about creating two classes of people in such a significant way. Covid-19 has captured the attention of the world in a way almost nothing has for a long time.

The difference in freedom and opportunity between the “pass” and the “no data / fail” would be very significant. Since “no test” would no doubt be generally viewed the same as “fail”, at an absolute minimum we must ensure that such testing is available to all equally. I’m not sure that our societies are set up in a way that can ensure that.
I am also not confident that the average American will be able to differentiate “negative” vs “I have immunity”
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Hezu
And the closure time has now been amended to be today, mainly because some people does not seem to get the social distancing concept and started to rush from Southern Finland (where most COVID-19 cases have been) towards Lapland...
Sweden is still refusing to have the ski resorts closed down. Monday there will be another Swedish government meeting over this, and the start of international pressure will almost certainly be ramped up substantially before Tuesday finishes — if that is even necessary as the Swedish death count will likely go up even higher in the double digits before Tuesday is over.

Stockholm restaurants, malls and other entertainment/ recreational venues and other stuff were reportedly way more busy on Saturday than anything comparable in the rest of NPU area. Meanwhile many Swedes across the country still seem to collect and wander around in family groups that cover more than just their immediate household members and did so in larger numbers due to the nicer weather outside. And restaurant in-dining traffic in Sweden may have even picked up a bit at places over previous days and even the previous weekend. There is a major decline in the use of public transit and travel and all this stuff, but the gyms are mostly still open or even reopened in Sweden.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
As I speculated in the previous (now closed) travel thread, the US Govt has issued a mandatory repatriation for all researchers abroad on Fulbright grants. While Taiwan was granted an exception, we were basically given a “Go home now or we don’t know when” ultimatum and I ultimately decided to fly back to the States.

Flying CI TPE - ONT like username suggested. I have to buy economy with my grant but the price for full Y is within my travel allotment anyways, and may consider doing a ST DL upgrade (last I checked it was 25k on a Y ticket). Will be my last flight for the foreseeable future so will probably write a trip report.
wrp96 and ajGoes like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Why didn't the West try to replicate and copy a literal formula for success?
Because when we realized that South Korean/Taiwanese/Singaporean formula was successful, it was already too late to replicate it. These countries began preparing for the crisis before there was a single case inside their borders. They had test kits, they had masks, they had quarantine facilities, they had the IT infrastructure to track infected people and their contacts.

Although we are now pretty much trying to replicate the Chinese formula in Wuhan.

Plus there is a general distrust towards science and technology. Even now the society is pretty much divided between those who understand exponential growth (and thus are horrified about the outlook), and those who don't (and thus don't get why there is a problem at all).

Here in Germany, telling people everyone should wear masks will get you ridiculed (despite there being scientific research proving it). Somehow it doesn't dawn on our people that "infected people should wear masks to avoid infecting others" and "we have lots of undetected cases" means "everyone should wear masks to avoid spreading the infection". Even our top public expert on the virus (epidemiologist Christian Drosten) has to speak carefully like "it is not wrong to wear a handmade mask"
wrp96, ajGoes and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Because when we realized that South Korean/Taiwanese/Singaporean formula was successful, it was already too late to replicate it. These countries began preparing for the crisis before there was a single case inside their borders. They had test kits, they had masks, they had quarantine facilities, they had the IT infrastructure to track infected people and their contacts.

Although we are now pretty much trying to replicate the Chinese formula in Wuhan.

Plus there is a general distrust towards science and technology. Even now the society is pretty much divided between those who understand exponential growth (and thus are horrified about the outlook), and those who don't (and thus don't get why there is a problem at all).

Here in Germany, telling people everyone should wear masks will get you ridiculed (despite there being scientific research proving it). Even our top public expert on the virus (epidemiologist Christian Drosten) has to speak carefully like "it is not wrong to wear a handmade mask"
And yet despite the Coronaparties and the indifference towards face masks, Germany has a case fatality rate of 0.3% - lower than almost anywhere else. Testing and contact tracing have a lot going for them, I think. (I know CFR doesn’t reflect the actual fatality rate in most countries - but it seems to be closer in Germany thanks to good testing.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.