Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
Any CA lawyers here? The "shelter in place" doesn't mean I have to say home, but only that if I were to venture out, for any reason, to maintain a minimum of 6 feet from others?
The state information initially didn't have a lot of detail, but has more now: https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except-for-essential-needs/. Look for "Outdoor Recreation".

The county level orders that came first were even clearer, for example Sacramento County: https://www.saccounty.net/COVID-19/D...essible%29.pdf in the list of exemptions/essential activities includes "To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, biking, running or equestrian activities."
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
"In his announcement Thursday night, Newsom indicated outdoor recreation and exercise is also allowed — he mentioned dog-walking and “taking your kids outside” — as long as social distancing and other “common sense” preventive measures are followed."

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/...are-the-rules/
I don't pesonally have kids. I know plenty of people who do. I could not imagine if they were told they couldn't take their kids outside. All that energy in that age group that couldn't be let out.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
"In his announcement Thursday night, Newsom indicated outdoor recreation and exercise is also allowed — he mentioned dog-walking and “taking your kids outside” — as long as social distancing and other “common sense” preventive measures are followed."

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/...are-the-rules/
Never thought I'd live to see this. Before this, I was lightly scorned for wearing masks, and now I'm to find some consolation that our Gov has "allowed" me to go for my run, so long as I stay clear 6 feet from anyone else. Granted, I generally dislike people and remain at least that far from strangers routinely, but to have it mandated.

Rant - maybe putting this would help with the scrubbing.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I don't pesonally have kids. I know plenty of people who do. I could not imagine if they were told they couldn't take their kids outside. All that energy in that age group that couldn't be let out.
Of course, while the orders don't state this, if I had younger kids I would absolutely avoid playground structures and similar. Run around, ride (their own) bikes, throw (your own) ball around (with your family group) instead.

My teenagers have been perfectly content to hole up inside on their devices, but I did coax them out to walk the dog yesterday and make it clear that they need to spend at least some time outside every day!
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Visconti
Never thought I'd live to see this. Before this, I was lightly scorned for wearing masks, and now I'm to find some consolation that our Gov has "allowed" me to go for my run, so long as I stay clear 6 feet from anyone else. Granted, I generally dislike people and remain at least that far from strangers routinely, but to have it mandated.

Rant - maybe putting this would help with the scrubbing.
That becomes necessary when a lot of people don't give a damn about "strongly recommended"...
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
I have a flight from Vancouver (YVR) to Tokyo (HND), transiting in Seattle (SEA) in the middle of April.

Since the US-Canada border is closed, does this means I can't get into SEA even if I am just transiting to go to HND? I am Canadian and I have some business in Tokyo. As much as I want to refrain from travelling, I stand to lose a lot of business if I don't head over there sometime in the next few months.

Sorry if this was asked elsewhere, it's a confusing time with threads moving around.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by ibopm
I have a flight from Vancouver (YVR) to Tokyo (HND), transiting in Seattle (SEA) in the middle of April.

Since the US-Canada border is closed, does this means I can't get into SEA even if I am just transiting to go to HND? I am Canadian and I have some business in Tokyo. As much as I want to refrain from travelling, I stand to lose a lot of business if I don't head over there sometime in the next few months.

Sorry if this was asked elsewhere, it's a confusing time with threads moving around.
What part of no overseas travel wasn't clear I wonder? Take the current situation and note that the peak doesn't hit Canada for the next 30-40 days according to the government. I would not be expecting to make this trip. Are there not other ways to not lose a lot of business? I am not expecting to be able to make trips scheduled for August with more than a 20% possibility TBH. I feel your pain. I had to close my 33 year old business yesterday and lay off all 24 staff . Losing business is the least of my worries at present.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
Originally Posted by Fizzer
What part of no overseas travel wasn't clear I wonder? Take the current situation and note that the peak doesn't hit Canada for the next 30-40 days according to the government. I would not be expecting to make this trip. Are there not other ways to not lose a lot of business? I am not expecting to be able to make trips scheduled for August with more than a 20% possibility TBH. I feel your pain. I had to close my 33 year old business yesterday and lay off all 24 staff . Losing business is the least of my worries at present.
Well I didn't want to expose too much, but I have familial reasons to be there. However they are not technically family by blood so it's not as straight-forward as "my mother is dying in the next few months". I didn't want to get into it too much, I just wanted to know the technicalities of the situation.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Quite the decision to make. I'm currently in Seattle and am wanting to get home sooner than later. I've got a few options to get home, right now I can book a SEA-EWR-BGR flight for Tuesday on United and be home by lunch Wednesday. Wait two weeks and see how things evolve but would be on American SEA-PHL-BGR, if it is still running. Or the worse case scenario is drive, which is 50 hours of drive time (it is in at least a diesel, so it would be cheap I guess, but 6 days in a car...)

Thoughts on the least foolish route? I'm concerned that waiting could be a mistake, and I really don't want to be stranded somewhere unknown if there's a total lockdown.
why don't you buy a ticket for today or tomorrow? Are they sold out?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by username
No need to be snippy. There are plenty of false negative tests out there. I am obviously having doubts on what I am hearing and want to get some thoughts.

There is a serious debate going on in Taiwan whether they will allow people to pay for tests (Taiwan has national health care so the health care covers it if you meet the criteria) or take the Korea-style approach.

The government fears that false negatives can make things worse. They ended up loosing the rules for the free testing.

https://udn.com/news/story/120940/4433113 is the article in Chinese.
With all the snark of FT I apologize if you felt I was being snippy.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ibopm
Well I didn't want to expose too much, but I have familial reasons to be there. However they are not technically family by blood so it's not as straight-forward as "my mother is dying in the next few months". I didn't want to get into it too much, I just wanted to know the technicalities of the situation.
This is tough and a lot of heartbroken stories caused by Covid-19 travel restrictions are going to come out.

If you look at how the case numbers in China, Italy and the rest of Europe in the last few weeks, you know we are not going to get out of this any time soon in North America. Japan's approach of this has been very passive due to their culture and the concerns for the Olympic.

So, unless it disappears miraculously as Trump thought, things (confirmed cases, airline cancellations and quarantine rules) are going to get worse the next few weeks. United is basically cancelling all of its TPAC flights for April, for example.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FAA1996
why don't you buy a ticket for today or tomorrow? Are they sold out?
There are a few things in SEA that I need to finish before I leave. (I'm helping my 80 year old mother in law right now, we need to make sure she's got supplies after I leave.) What I've seen for the next few days have involved a 2nd stop or backtracking (SEA-DEN-SFO/LAX/LAS-EWR-BGR.) DL isn't an option, and the flights on AA were a bit fuller than I wanted to be on.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Lefly
That becomes necessary when a lot of people don't give a damn about "strongly recommended"...
That's fine. Like those of us in the private sector who get sacked when we're wrong or under perform, they had better be right. Depriving people of their right to earn a living should call for a high price to pay if they're wrong.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:14 pm
Suspended

If you need to fly to get home I would do it as soon as possible while you still can.

Traveling for any other reason like business is nuts and can't believe any customer would even welcome it. Stay home. Stay safe.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by QtownDave
If you need to fly to get home I would do it as soon as possible while you still can.

Traveling for any other reason like business is nuts and can't believe any customer would even welcome it. Stay home. Stay safe.
I'm here for part family reasons and part business reasons. When I got to SEA this whole thing was still pretty minimal in the US, things got real very fast. Once I get home, I'm not going anywhere other than the grocery store. I've basically spent the past week in the guest bedroom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.