Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:00 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by yosithezet
This guy that chartered the plane is one of the first two deaths from the virus in Singapore. The second is a 75-year old woman who spent 26 days in ICU.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...-yong-12563036
Yep, him. This case also, in addition to current number of death in Indonesia would give some indication how bad situation is there.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I knew it was a bad idea to evacuate Houston with Hurricane Rita approaching. 107 people died in the traffic while only 6 people died in the storm. This is the same thing.... also known as "stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny".
A month ago Spain had no reported cases of this virus or close to none. Now they have a thousand dead following this outbreak there.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Every countrys situation is different.

And hindsight is 20-20.
In Italy case, a full blockade of the northern areas would have been ideal when it blew up there

What is happening now is that people are panicking and claiming that Wuhan and France/Spain style lockdown indefinitely is the only thing that will work...…
They are refusing to see Japan or Korea's responses

And groupthink is working in a peculiar way.
When a country is put in lockdown, its residents are claiming that this is the only way to stop the virus though before it was done, they would be ambivalent

Its a form of consoling oneself that they are suffering because that is the only way out. The alternative story is that they are suffering, but only to delay the virus and thy may get it later regardless.....

And also people from blockaded areas seem to be very angry, judging by social media comments, when seeing people in the UK and Germany walking about, its kind of "when we are locked down, how dare those people not suffer like us"

I am sure psychology will have a better explanation of all these phenomenon
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:02 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by shmoosical
The same pattern was observed with SARS (more infections with blood type A; less with type O). This paper from 2008 has a possible explanation:

https://academic.oup.com/glycob/arti...2/1085/1988773
However, I don't know that anyone has actually isolated any type of coronavirus that displays A or B carbohydrate epitopes.
Thanks for posting, I wasn't aware of these data...Oh well, blood group A middle-aged male here, oops!

tb
narvik and ajGoes like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:37 am

Why no ‘social distancing’ onboard aircraft?

With the decreased loads, they have the space now to seat people at least one seat apart throughout the whole aircraft (unless travelling together, of course).

Even now they insist on filling every single seat in first with upgrades, packing people into a tight space.

Seems more steps could be taken to stop the spread for those who need to take essential travel.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is the airline involuntarily upgrading passengers or are these upgrades that have been requested by passengers?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by PanAmWT

3/20/20 COVID-19 Update from the UCSF Infectious Diseases Division: Special Dept. of Surgery Grand Rounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UafK-4vMr8M
Unfortunately, volume is very low. My daughter attended the ZOOM meeting had no trouble hearing, so I wonder if there are ways I can boost the volume when watching?

Towards end, data show aerosol transmission risk is low. supporting our contention from aerodynamical terminal velocity calculations.
I've uploaded a version with the volume boosted up a bit here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SV3...ew?usp=sharing
Will leave it there for a week or so.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by uktraveller212
With the decreased loads, they have the space now to seat people at least one seat apart throughout the whole aircraft (unless travelling together, of course).

Even now they insist on filling every single seat in first with upgrades, packing people into a tight space.

Seems more steps could be taken to stop the spread for those who need to take essential travel.
I've thought about this before. The responsible thing would be to do 2 in a row of three with middle seat open and one in middle seat on next row, so alternate 1 and 2. Opposite side should do the opposite. Of course, best thing to do is not to travel right now.
formeraa likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Is the airline involuntarily upgrading passengers or are these upgrades that have been requested by passengers?
requested by passengers. The upgrade list is working as normal, I guess - but I’m not sure as I’m not a AAdvantage member.

If I didn’t absolutely have to fly today, I wouldn’t. But I purposely chose this flight because the cabin looked the most empty when booking.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:20 am

Question. Why hasn't this been more of an issue for Japan? Have they already hit the apogee of that bell curve hockey puck growth and started to roll over? Or, for whatever reason, they're just not reporting or testing?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:31 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
The Israeli living in Wuhan that I follow on Facebook posted today that they are now, after 60 days, allowed to leave their apartment just into the local neighborhood and so long as they maintain distance from others. His son who is roughly 7 prefers to stay in the apartment rather than go out. He, himself, prefers to wait a few days to see if the government may decide this is premature. You can find him on FB as עופר סין

Meanwhile Thailand is slowly getting with the program. From tomorrow all shopping malls, markets, restaurants and department stores will be closed. Pharmacies and supermarkets and convenience stores will remain open.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
They are refusing to see Japan or Korea's responses
I do see Korea's or Singapores response and I totally agree that's the way to go instead of a full blown lockdown.

However Korea got it under control through extensive testing early on and people actually taking it seriously and self-isolate themselves.

Singapore has the level of contact tracking and quarantine enforcement that we can only dream of.

In the US, we are still doing a laughable number of testing, we have a president that claims only two weeks ago that the whole thing is a hoax and as a result half of the population only now start to take it serious, and we repeatedly see people violating quarantine order with no mechanism to really enforce it.

Also Italy indeed started a lockdown of northern part only but the news got leaked in advance and everyone was flooding to the southern part making a partial lockdown useless. This is also exactly what happened with the Wuhan lockdown. News got leaked the night before and half of the city left the quarantine zone overnight spreading across the country. If neither China nor Italy could make a partial lockdown happen, I'm afraid we have zero chance either.
GUWonder, wrp96, FAA1996 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Visconti
Question. Why hasn't this been more of an issue for Japan? Have they already hit the apogee of that bell curve hockey puck growth and started to roll over? Or, for whatever reason, they're just not reporting or testing?
here is your answer, from Japan forum, posted two weeks ago:

Originally Posted by acregal
The secret is heavily discouraging people from getting tested, then not testing a lot of those that still want to take the risk of getting tested.
An in-law had active TB a few years ago and while that person was treated, there was no effort at all to determine how that person got infected or if that person had infected anyone else.

I work for a big foreign company, so we are being forced to work from home and basically all business trips have been cancelled.
My wife works for a Japanese company (number 2 in the field in Japan) and they have been told in no uncertain terms that if they test positive for coronavirus, it will disrupt numerous projects at the company and cause a lot of trouble, which will then be reflected in their evaluation - so basically people have been ordered to not be tested. Working from home isn't allowed and all business trips are still on.

I did have to go to work one day this week, and there was a security guard checking everyone's temperature. Of course, there was one thermometer which wasn't being cleaned at all.
GUWonder, T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
this is why I think a full US airline shutdown is coming. You can't tell people to stay away from each other then have a plane with a whole bunch of people flying around (and beyond that with an a/c flying multiple legs)
enviroian and justsawaufo like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So apparently across some parts of the world with virus outbreaks, locals in small towns and villages are increasingly unhappy with compatriots from bigger cities and towns spreading out to their smaller places to get away from tighter and more populated confines during the current period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.