Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:59 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
The Millennials gave birth to the Corona-nials.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
We've cancelled Asia in April 2020, Georgia, Armenia and Kazakhstan in May / June but are holding on to our bookings from Sweden to Greece in July. Last week I was optimistic Greece would go ahead, now I'm 50/50. We hope in August we can return to Australia from Sweden. The virus seems to like cooler temperatures which hopefully will help settle things in the northern hemisphere in the coming months.

We still have bookings for Australia / Sweden return over Christmas. Then we're hoping for Australia / Sweden return next northern summer departing in May 2021, but to answer your question we won't be booking it just yet.

The virus seems to be settling down a lot in China and the rest of the world is a month or so behind China. Let' see what happens after their lockdowns are eased.

There is wide talk of a vaccine in 12 - 18 months. An Australian expert today thought it would be available within 12 months.

I think anything booked in the next 12 months will be risky, gradually getting safer and returning to normal after the vaccine is widely available. Book as much as you can as refundable and read your travel insurance policy carefully.

That's just my 2c worth as a mug punter.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I don't think a Feb 2021 trip is overly optimistic. Just my two cents and gut feeling, though FWIW

We had been planning to travel US to Sweden in early July to visit our daughter in college. Not sure whether to bother booking anything at all. If we do it will be refundable or reasonable cancel (or miles redeposit) fee. But even then who knows what routes will be running then and what could be cancelled, or what entry or transit restrictions might be in place. May just wait a bit and see how things go before deciding.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
Speaking of something I'd never thought I'd ever ask out of curiosity, is toilet paper available in Germany?
Some shops have it and some don't. But usually there are a few packages at least. There is no country-wide storage, but I guess the logistics behind replenishing shelves simply isn't quick enough.

The funny thing is, German panic buyers are kind of polite. They often leave the last item on the shelf (I suppose in case someone needs it urgently). So you can often see an empty shelf with a single pack of toilet paper, or a box of rice left.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Some shops have it and some don't. But usually there are a few packages at least. There is no country-wide storage, but I guess the logistics behind replenishing shelves simply isn't quick enough.

The funny thing is, German panic buyers are kind of polite. They often leave the last item on the shelf (I suppose in case someone needs it urgently). So you can often see an empty shelf with a single pack of toilet paper, or a box of rice left.
In every crisis, I always learn something new. While I'm sure loading up on toilet paper must have been one of the survivalist to-do lists, it had never occurred to me to stock up; and, I had thought I had considered every variable. Thankfully, after two large supermarkets were empty (it's completely cleaned out!), I was able to find a package at a local drugstore, otherwise I'd far more to fear from my family than any virus.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
In every crisis, I always learn something new. While I'm sure loading up on toilet paper must have been one of the survivalist to-do lists, it had never occurred to me to stock up; and, I had thought I had considered every variable. Thankfully, after two large supermarkets were empty (it's completely cleaned out!), I was able to find a package at a local drugstore, otherwise I'd far more to fear from my family than any virus.
You probably could have had it delivered by tomorrow via Amazon.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Some discussion of why measures have been failing in Italy and the chronicle of the spread. Similar things would apply to most of the rest of Europe and the US

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...?ocid=primentp

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...?ocid=primentp

"NIH director: Up to 70K coronavirus cases could be confirmed in US by end of next week"

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/nih-...ry?id=69717284

A more testing takes place in the US and with the virus progression, in about a week the US will be leading the world in infections (raw numbers), and after that we will be so far ahead that we will be the ongoing lead story.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:35 pm

My Japan trip is in June....it doesn't look good...
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Speaking of something I'd never thought I'd ever ask out of curiosity, is toilet paper available in Germany?
I'm really not sure. I'm currently in the UK and none of the supermarkets here have it. The smaller stores, which the panic buyers overlook, do have it.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
"In hard-hit areas, testing restricted to health care workers, hospital patients "
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in...?ocid=primentp

Right when the US finally started ramping up testing, it has to already start abandoning it, due to shortage of PPEs and essentially the beginning of the health care system collapse and shifting of urgent priorities.

There you have it, folks, we almost missed the whole testing phase of the epidemic and moved from "US in great shape" to the "health care system start collapsing" phase...
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by GUWonder
My understanding was that the swabs pick up the virus when the virus-hit person has enough of a viral build for the exposure to register with the swab tests. [I will try to confirm this with relevant medical experts tomorrow or maybe later today.]

There is a reason why some people are suggesting that Trump gets retested after his contacts have been noted as positive for this virus. And it’s not just because contact and Trump may not have been exposed to the virus at the time of Trump’s testing.
Same reason why my sister (healthcare worker) is going to get retested in a few days after she was quarantined by the health department after potential exposure even though the initial test was negative.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I don't think a Feb 2021 trip is overly optimistic. Just my two cents and gut feeling, though FWIW

We had been planning to travel US to Sweden in early July to visit our daughter in college. Not sure whether to bother booking anything at all. If we do it will be refundable or reasonable cancel (or miles redeposit) fee. But even then who knows what routes will be running then and what could be cancelled, or what entry or transit restrictions might be in place. May just wait a bit and see how things go before deciding.
Sweden doesn’t even close down the Swedish ski resorts that are a key spreader of the virus in Scandinavia, and it is late in the game of shutting down things. They didn’t even want to put in a travel ban, but they had to go with the EU- wide Schengen ban.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sweden ends up being the blacklisted country for some weeks after other European countries’ bans and the Schengen ban end up lifted. The measure of the situation in Sweden will be the death count. When the death count levels out, then it may be time for me to again consider purchasing discretionary travel for US-Sweden/Denmark trips.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
(to be rewritten)

Last edited by notquiteaff; Mar 21, 2020 at 7:12 pm Reason: (to be rewritten)
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Sweden doesn’t even close down the Swedish ski resorts that are a key spreader of the virus in Scandinavia, and it is late in the game of shutting down things. They didn’t even want to put in a travel ban, but they had to go with the EU- wide Schengen ban.
The curious savage in me hopes Sweden will not implement any measures and we will see the true fatality rate among a population with a typical European age distribution, with a totally overwhelmed health care, but civilized otherwise.

Africa won't do here - their populations are too young.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
The curious savage in me hopes Sweden will not implement any measures and we will see the true fatality rate among a population with a typical European age distribution, with a totally overwhelmed health care, but civilized otherwise.
Colorful way of coining it, but I'd be curious too. When the dust settles, let's compare and contrast what transpired the way Sweden handled it to the rest of us in the West.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-powers-140023

The Justice Department has quietly asked Congress for the ability to ask chief judges to detain people indefinitely without trial during emergencies — part of a push for new powers that comes as the coronavirus spreads through the United States.
My reaction? F this!

Last edited by Visconti; Mar 21, 2020 at 7:45 pm Reason: added article...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.