Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2020, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by exp
Significantly better lives?

In what respect?
I don't think the poster has any idea of what live in other countries has been like - Sweden hasn't been "open like nothing is happening" and other countries with lockdown measures haven't been "home arrest".

Life for me here in Canada has been essentially the same (as an essential worker), only I've been eating out much less and practicing cooking. And I'm taking the car instead of public transit everywhere.

Our incidence/case load has been minimal because we have competent political and scientific leaders in charge with clear, coherent messaging that everyone gets on board with - from every side of the aisle. Left-wing and right-wing politicians have all come together and done a reasonable job by listening to scientists.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 7:34 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by exp
Significantly better lives?

In what respect?
Not being subjected to draconic restrictions on freedom of movement (essentially put under house arest), seen in at least dozen other EU states, having proper unrestricted access to health care and ability to have a reasonable level of social life.

Personally, I'm in a situation when I essentially gave up on holiday this year in order to be able to temporarily relocate into a less restrictive place than my home state. From my perspective, having a fairly normal day-to-day life is far more important than being able to go on a holiday, so I'd much prefer Sweden over my low-risk home country, even if it meant losing ability to travel all over Europe.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the810
Not being subjected to draconic restrictions on freedom of movement (essentially put under house arest), seen in at least dozen other EU states, having proper unrestricted access to health care and ability to have a reasonable level of social life.

Personally, I'm in a situation when I essentially gave up on holiday this year in order to be able to temporarily relocate into a less restrictive place than my home state. From my perspective, having a fairly normal day-to-day life is far more important than being able to go on a holiday, so I'd much prefer Sweden over my low-risk home country, even if it meant losing ability to travel all over Europe.
Sad that you seem to believe your own hyperbole. There is no "house arrest". Avoiding facts entirely is not at all convincing.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 9:01 pm

If I may vent a little:

What really makes me mad about the state of the pandemic in the U.S. is that this is not rocket science. Other countries have done it. It's actually pretty simple: 1) shut everything down to stop the spread. We did step 1. Then as we re-open we 2) require masks and social distancing 3) offer aggressive widespread testing with fast results 4) ramp up contact tracing to understand where the virus has spread and stop it. Very straight forward. But in the U.S. we did step 1 and zero of the steps that were supposed to come next, which rendered step 1 absolutely worthless. Now, no one seems willing to start over and try to do this again the right way. Instead, it's no mask requirements and packing kids into schools like sardines. How does this make any sense whatsoever?

The irony is that these re-openings are under the guise of getting life back to "normal" and turning our economy around. But the more we try to re-open and make things "normal" again, the more hospitalization and death goes up. The more people are scared to resume normal life. The more people are put out of work or bankrupted by healthcare costs. The more our economy is destroyed.

Of course other countries won't let us in. We have waved a white flag and given up, content to let the virus spread and content to let someone die every single minute in the US. It's a sad state affairs because I can raise the alarm all I want, but some people just refuse to take it seriously. It's simultaneously depressing and infuriating. Not caring about the virus or not believing it needs to be addressed starts at the top, but it has trickled all the way down and is part of American culture now. Other countries think we're nuts. Tough times to be an American, sadly.

/end rant
Old Aug 8, 2020, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oreocookies
If I may vent a little:

What really makes me mad about the state of the pandemic in the U.S. is that this is not rocket science. Other countries have done it. It's actually pretty simple: 1) shut everything down to stop the spread. We did step 1.

Except we didn't--there wasn't meaningful enforcement.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Except we didn't--there wasn't meaningful enforcement.
That is totally fair. Step 1 was half-hearted at best. Where I live, it was a legit shutdown, and now people are like "wait, why did we do this if everything is bad again?" So the rest of my comment still stands. The roadmap is very clear but our government refuses to do it. In fact, the one person we need to set the tone has been hostile to essentially every single part of it. Just stunning, really.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 12:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by exp
Are people on either side of that bridge allowed to cross and get jobs on the other side?

I mean normally, not during the pandemic.
If they are citizens of an EU/EEA country, yes, they can. If they aren’t citizens of an EU/EEA country, then whether they can or not is more complicated; but mostly not then.

Commuter traffic across the bridge continued — at depressed levels — during all of this year to-date.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Pointing out all the deaths is hardly an "appeal to sentiment" -- it's reality that you want to ignore.

You're basing your argument on the man who refuses to admit his error. Not quite compelling, nor is your attempt to bury us with words yet again.

You haven't shown any expertise that proves your arguments any more compelling, nor are you quoting anything that actually constitutes proof of your position, and your personal attacks are simply invalid. You haven't proved anything -- you just have an agenda.
The reality is that your appeal to sentiment falters in good discussion about scientific and governmental responses to 100-year pandemics. And the falsehoods you would spread about its public health officials not being honest are as useful as your pretextual and premature bashing of Sweden's response in the best CCP 'most infections, most deaths, most unserious, most incompetent' style.
Originally Posted by FlitBen

Anders Tegnell, the man behind Sweden's contentious coronavirus plan, has a legion of fans — and critics

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-...virus/12384966
- Unlike Sweden, the other Nordic countries swiftly imposed tough mandatory lockdowns. Today, the Swedes have double the number of confirmed cases as Denmark, Norway and Finland combined. And the fatality rate is even worse — more than 5,200 have died from a population of just 10 million. That's five times the combined total of the other Nordic nations.

Tegnell admits there have been failures. One of the relatively few government directives was to lock down aged care facilities. He concedes the order came too late and casualties have been high — of the 5,000 deaths, 88 per cent have been people aged over 70, many of them in retirement homes. Exactly how many elderly Swedes have died of COVID-19 has been difficult to determine. During the first couple of months of the crisis, there was a lack of comprehensive testing making it hard to know the cause of death. "We are doing a lot of things now and we see that the number of cases in those facilities is slowly falling," says Tegnell, "so we believe that even that can be rectified and our strategy will be even more sustainable."

To date, around 7 per cent of Sweden's population has been infected and developed COVID-19 antibodies, well short of the so-called "herd immunity" rate of at least 70 per cent, where so many people in the community become infected that the virus is theoretically controlled. Swedish public health experts, critical of the Tegnell plan, say herd immunity was always the implied cornerstone of the national strategy. But Tegnell denies this was ever his goal. -
I can always point to the considered positions of the most knowledgeable and authoritative ID experts. Whereas, you resort to imputing doubt and distrust about competent scientists who you apparently know little about yet assail politically, just because "X country approach failure".

Last edited by FlitBen; Aug 9, 2020 at 4:49 am
Old Aug 9, 2020, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlitBen
The reality is that your appeal to sentiment falters in good discussion about scientific and governmental responses to 100-year pandemics. And the falsehoods you attempt to spread about public health officials are as useful as your pretextual and premature bashing of Sweden's 'most infections, most deaths, most unserious, most incompetent' response.

I can always point to the considered positions of the most knowledgeable and authoritative ID experts. Whereas, you resort to imputing doubt and distrust about competent scientists who you apparently know little about yet assail politically, just because "X country approach failure".
No, actually, people do consider deaths to be important. You are an outlier.

Nor is what I say falsehoods -- you just don't like me saying it.

Last, Your claim that I assailed scientists politically and said "most infections, most deaths, most unserious, most incompetent'" are flat-out lies, which you should be ashamed of posting.
Zeeb likes this.

Last edited by PaulMSN; Aug 9, 2020 at 4:54 am
Old Aug 9, 2020, 5:00 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
No, actually, people do consider deaths to be important. You are an outlier.
You keep accusing people on this forum of not caring about deaths. That's not the case, there's literally no one suggesting deaths don't matter.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the810
You keep accusing people on this forum of not caring about deaths. That's not the case, there's literally no one suggesting deaths don't matter.
If someone claims that pointing out deaths is an "appeal to sentiment", I'm going to disagree.
GUWonder and Zeeb like this.

Last edited by PaulMSN; Aug 9, 2020 at 5:29 am
Old Aug 9, 2020, 7:23 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, it’s necessary to close this thread for mod review. The current exchanges are unedifying, to say the least, and there’s a definite need for some to stop piling on here.

/mod
Robl and ajGoes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.