Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by trueblu
Agreed.

But we also desperately need to realise that in this interconnected world, "my" prosperity depends on others, even outside one's nation state, but also within. My wife forwarded a blog post to me a few weeks ago, which stated (I'm paraphrasing) that my own well-being now, in this crisis, also depends on the minimum wage earner handling my food in the supermarket. I'm most definitely NOT advocating a communist approach that we all earn the same etc. But we also need to realise, now more than ever, that "WE" is very much all of us.

Good health!

tb
If there's one good thing to hope for out of this crisis is an increased awareness of just how important it is to focus on collective well-being in addition to purely selfish individual well-being. We're ALL connected and some of the people currently providing our main sense of normality and support (front-line food workers, grocery stores, nurses) are usually very much disregarded in favour of others.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Sure, health matters. And I've been poor.
Really? How did you feed yourself when you had zero money? Did you work in a field for a few pennies? What if there was no work where you lived? Did you have a family to feed and shelter?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The virus situation in Europe is not at all encouraging. Have you seen what has been happening to death counts across the EU and Schengen? It’s ugly and likely to get uglier?

[Conforming edit to original quote.
[OMNI/PR Content edited by Moderator.]

As far as Europe goes, all you need to do is look at Worldometer and see that the data indicates that Europe has now hit the backside of the infection curve. I can't recall seeing a major European country with more infections today than yesterday, and the worst hit -- like Italy and Spain -- are showing material declines. Data is data, and the end of the world never comes.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 22, 2020 at 1:39 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by stimpy
And if they have zero prosperity, health doesn't matter. Ya gotta have both. Maybe you have never been poor, but you could try to understand it from their perspective.
Plenty of people in the world live with less prosperity that you (and I have zero knowledge of your prosperity) or I. Prosperity is not a binary thing. I am fairly certain that I will come out of this thing less wealthy than I was before (though hopefully it will recover over time). I hope I also come out of it alive and healthy, too.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by lux flyer
is being locked up for 12 weeks or 9 months as are beingn described really living though? And what happens if this keeps occuring every few years as we see more frequently these "super bug" crises, how much are we going to quarantine and isolate ourselves before we decide enough is enough, 5% of our lives, 10%, 50%? I posed this the other day, what if life is about more than just surviving? Because right now it seems all anyone cares about is surviving, even if we aren't truly living.
👏👏👏👏👏
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Is being locked up for 12 weeks or 9 months as are beingn described really living though? And what happens if this keeps occuring every few years as we see more frequently these "super bug" crises, How much are we going to quarantine and isolate ourselves before we decide enough is enough, 5% of our lives, 10%, 50%? I posed this the other day, what if life is about more than just surviving? Because right now it seems all anyone cares about is surviving, even if we aren't truly living.
It's not being "locked up" and you're positing a situation that may not occur as a reason to pan what is happening in this one.

Living mostly inside is still living and can still be fulfilling. You're painting an absurd picture of the situation that is not close to reality.
notquiteaff likes this.

Last edited by PaulMSN; Mar 22, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Because right now it seems all anyone cares about is surviving, even if we aren't truly living.
It's pretty much the focal point for me right now because I don't like the alternative.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by iahphx
As far as Europe goes, all you need to do is look at Worldometer and see that the data indicates that Europe has now hit the backside of the infection curve. I can't recall seeing a major European country with more infections today than yesterday, and the worst hit -- like Italy and Spain -- are showing material declines. Data is data, and the end of the world never comes.
Speaking of worldometer, it current shows a daily increase for the US of 14,550... which isn’t backed by other sites like https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en (+4279).
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:53 pm
Suspended

It's not being "locked up" and your positing a situation that may not occur as a reason to pan what is happening in this one.

Living mostly inside is still living and can still be fulfilling. You're painting an absurd picture of the situation that is not close to reality.
It is exactly what is happening in Europe.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
Really? How did you feed yourself when you had zero money? Did you work in a field for a few pennies? What if there was no work where you lived? Did you have a family to feed and shelter?
I was a kid, and yes, I had a few kid jobs. Sometimes there was no food in the house, but there are people who give help in the US and my mother always managed to find something so that we didn't go to bed completely hungry. What has that got to do with health not mattering to poor people, though? That was the claim.
notquiteaff and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
No, it isn't. Hyperbole is not fact. My son lives in fully shut-down Norway, and it is nothing like being in jail.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I was a kid, and yes, I had a few kid jobs. Sometimes there was no food in the house, but there are people who give help in the US and my mother always managed to find something so that we didn't go to bed completely hungry. What has that got to do with health not mattering to poor people, though? That was the claim.
No, that was not the claim. I'm pretty sure I wrote "zero prosperity". Zero means zero. Your "poor" is not the same as being poor in a 3rd world country that all of a sudden cannot sell many of its goods to the wealthy countries.

I was living in Uganda a year ago and there is no one as financially poor in America than the average Ugandan.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Your (great-)grandparents were called to war. You’re being called to sit on your couch. You can do this.
karenkay, Temedar, ajGoes and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:57 pm
Suspended

No, it isn't. Hyperbole is not fact. My son lives in fully locked-down Norway, and it is nothing like being in jail.
Italy has now banned all forms of outdoor exercise. How is this not being locked up?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Your (great-)grandparents were called to war. You’re being called to sit on your couch. You can do this.
My grandparents fought for freedom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.