Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Case fatality rates are not the same thing as fatalities. The fatalities from this have been rising, and they can rise substantially and at varying rates even if case fatality rates drop for a while.

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Italy has now banned all forms of outdoor exercise. How is this not being locked up?
Given what happened with the death count from this in Italy within the last 48 hours, we shouldn’t be surprised by this. Without the security from the extremes of a Hobbesian state of nature — where life is short, nasty and brutish — freedom finds fewer and fewer long-living friends and liberty itself is a casualty of the infection due to spreading infection concerns. Want freedom maximized? Then work on this infection spread getting controlled as fast as possible across and as far and wide as possible in the most coordinated manner possible. The longer this takes to control and the more widespread and deeper the fear of this becomes, the longer it will take for FlyerTalk to get back to being travel talk more than “grounded talk”.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 22, 2020 at 1:40 pm
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:32 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note

As this is a "lounge" thread, we've tried to moderate its topic relevance with a bit more liberality than other threads in the forum.

But we've started to get well afield of the COVID-19 issues with the current extended discussion of issues of historical family economic adequacy or poverty. These can be addressed fully in the OMNI forum.

Let's return to discussions closer to the many pressing issues of COVID-19 and its effects and likely profiles and challenges. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderator.
txpenny likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
As this is a "lounge" thread, we've tried to moderate its topic relevance with a bit more liberality than other threads in the forum.

But we've started to get well afield of the COVID-19 issues with the current extended discussion of issues of historical family economic adequacy or poverty. These can be addressed fully in the OMNI forum.

Let's return to discussions closer to the many pressing issues of COVID-19 and its effects and likely profiles and challenges. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderator.

Brilliant thanks. We are booking an 8 day river rafting tip for next may. we have not cancelled our October national park extravaganza in October. Still going to Antarctica in December if the ships are sailing. Some FTers have more resources than others. We are not saving ours for the kids. And they know this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Visconti
While I'm ok with a 30 day shut down, and find it reasonable to defer to the experts, for whom I have the utmost respect, which shouldn't be taken to mean I'd abandon all independent thought and my right of self-determination. If after 30 days, things aren't improving, it's time to move on. We can survive this carnage.
Well said and I think the vast majority of intelligent people around the world agree or will agree in the coming weeks. I don't know if it is 30 days or what the number is, but the swing back towards normalcy will happen sooner or later. We've just got to get a handle on the front line heath care issues first.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 23, 2020 at 1:59 am Reason: Redacted deleted text from quote
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by boerne
Brilliant thanks. We are booking an 8 day river rafting tip for next may. we have not cancelled our October national park extravaganza in October. Still going to Antarctica in December if the ships are sailing. Some FTers have more resources than others. We are not saving ours for the kids. And they know this.
I wish you the best of luck. Enjoy it.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Your (great-)grandparents were called to war. You’re being called to sit on your couch. You can do this.
"Ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can't do for your country."
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Italy has now banned all forms of outdoor exercise. How is this not being locked up?
At this moment, only some regions have banned outdoor exercise. It's not a restriction valid for the whole country.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
And what happens if this keeps occuring every few years as we see more frequently these "super bug" crises
This crisis is only huge because we were both unprepared for it and largely ignored its onset (probably hoping the Chinese would sort it out, just like they did with the original SARS back in 2003). Plus the Western obsession with the freedom of movement played its role, denying us the ability to confine the virus to a few known hot spots.

Countries that were prepared (Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore) managed it without significant losses (our economic downturn will obviously hit them as well, but it's not their fault).

If proper lessons are learned (just like Asian nations learned from their past super bug crises), we'll manage the next super bug with a flick of a finger. The most important lesson is that one must act as early as possible - the earlier you act, the lesser the cost. There must be facilities for mass testing and a mass production of test kits, and a shortage of basic protection equipment such as masks may never happen again.
nk15 and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Speaking of worldometer, it current shows a daily increase for the US of 14,550... which isn’t backed by other sites like https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en (+4279).
That was a pretty horrifying mistake on their part. When I saw it, I thought we had a Wuhan on our hands. I think the number is now around 8000. That's a concerning number, but within the realm of what we've seen this virus do -- especially with all tne new testing going on in NYC. FWIW, I think it's wise to watch the hospitalization count (hard to do) and the death count for more important information.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by iahphx
While the virus situation today looks somewhat encouraging in Europe, it looks somewhat discouraging in NYC. I would seal off the entire NYC metropolitan area, including northern New Jersey, and prohibit all non-essential travel including air travel in or out of that region. This would enable the country to marshal the medical resources to deal with the problem, and not spread it to the rest of the country, where the problem currently seems manageable. Basically, until we get evidence to the contrary, we should treat NYC like Wuhan. The problem, of course, is that in a democracy, our leaders will dither with this strategy and probably wait a costly 5 to 7 days before doing so -- just like they were too slow to cut off Italy travellers. Oh, well -- it's the problem of a free society.

I thought they closed all NY area airports?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Well, none of my grandparents are still alive, but I just asked my 72-year-old mother. Here is her response:

"My parents worked and fought very hard for the lifestyle we have now, and we should enjoy it while we still can. If we don't, they fought for nothing. I probably don't have very many useful years of my life left now, and I don't want to spend them living like a [expletive deleted] hermit."
​​​​​
So I just called my mom. My parents are bit older than your mom, still remembering WW2 as young children. She assured me they were fine, comfortable at home with plenty of food, ability to walk outside to get exercise/fresh air. Just missing the grandkids.

She doesn’t use expletives. Usually. But she had some choice words for those who think they are invincible, above the rules, can’t live without bars for a while.

She als had choice words for the patient who put my sister and her colleagues into quarantine and shut down a primary care clinic for two weeks. Came in to be seen for back pain. Neglected to mention cough and shortness of breath or the fact that she just returned from skiing in northern Italy. (so yeah, this isn’t all about strangers and news stories for me anymore)

She also had choice words for the neighbors who went on vacation to a “tropical paradise” about a week or so ago and are now stuck.

Choice words such as idiotic, selfish, irresponsible.
GUWonder, karenkay, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Emma, a 12-year-old girl, is "fighting for her life" in an Atlanta hospital after testing positive for the coronavirus, according to her cousin.

Justin Anthony told CNN that Emma was diagnosed with pneumonia on March 15 and tested positive for coronavirus on Friday night. As of Saturday, she was on a ventilator and is currently in stable condition, Anthony said.

Emma had no pre-existing conditions. She has not traveled recently and it's unknown how she contracted the virus, according to Anthony

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/22/us/ge...zed/index.html
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by iahphx
FWIW, I think it's wise to watch the hospitalization count (hard to do) and the death count for more important information.
Yeah, a couple of days ago I asked for the same thing. It appears the is no consolidated hospitalizations/ICU count by states and I am not sure the worldmondo national numbers are accurate.

Looks like Worldmonto fixed the incorrect data. The totals are now in the same ballpark as the other site. One thing to note is that the daily numbers are based on different time zones. Worldmondo uses midnight GMT to start over.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Mar 22, 2020 at 2:51 pm
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by QtownDave
Emma, a 12-year-old girl, is "fighting for her life" in an Atlanta hospital after testing positive for the coronavirus, according to her cousin.

Justin Anthony told CNN that Emma was diagnosed with pneumonia on March 15 and tested positive for coronavirus on Friday night. As of Saturday, she was on a ventilator and is currently in stable condition, Anthony said.

Emma had no pre-existing conditions. She has not traveled recently and it's unknown how she contracted the virus, according to Anthony

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/22/us/ge...zed/index.html
While a sad story, I'm sure we could find other cases of healthy people/children with no pre-existing conditions becoming seriously ill from other causes as well. Also issue with the CNN story: being on a ventilator and stable condition are not compatible. If you are requiring a machine to acutely intervene to support you, that is NOT stable.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
While a sad story, I'm sure we could find other cases of healthy people/children with no pre-existing conditions becoming seriously ill from other causes as well. Also issue with the CNN story: being on a ventilator and stable condition are not compatible. If you are requiring a machine to acutely intervene to support you, that is NOT stable.

I tend to agree. And too little information to understand exactly what this is all about.
12-year old girl on ventilator with pneumonia who tested positive, with no pre-existing condition and no know contact....all according to a cousin.

Makes for a GREAT headline though, so hey, why NOT publish it, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.