Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
We have a national policy of 15 days social distancing: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...5x11_315PM.pdf
It is not publicized as well as it should and should be worded more strongly. We are 7 days out of 15 today.
I have seen that. Not a very effective one-size-fits-nobody document. Eg,

- when did the 15 days start? So kids can go back to school after that? (answer: nope)

- If your kids are sick, don’t send them to school? What school? Schools have been closed here for 11 days and will be closed at least until end of April.

- avoid eating at restaurants? All closed for a week or so already
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Whatever the numbers are now, it should be clear by now that downplaying the risks from this virus spreading and the lack of national preparation for it are key ingredients in the recipe for increased problems from the virus spread.

Italy did that too. Conte downplayed it through mid February at least.

Then you had some politician being photographed having an apertivo surrounded by others, shrugging off the virus.

Then he came down with it.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Yes. Today is Day 7 out of 15.
Society and state/local officials are taking broader steps than the Federal Government is.
That is why I remain encouraged we will see some curve flattening in areas where testing is being performed.
This is really in the hands of the governors and local officials now to speak to their populations.

Gov. Cuomo's daily updates are a must watch since he presents tons of facts.
I think I heard him say that we are approaching the point where the fear is worse than the virus itself. Can't find the exact wording but from a social and economic standpoint, he is right.

Don't get this virus in the next 3 weeks. Protect yourself and you will protect others. And if you are high-risk, then consider near-isolation longer as a personal choice.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wco81

Then you had some politician being photographed having an apertivo surrounded by others, shrugging off the virus.
I guess it’s fair to assume every country has a Rep Nunez or Gov Stitt.

In better news, apparently USNS Mercy is going to depart San Diego today for the port of LA.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Only you do need masks, wipes and basic essentials so there is some interaction with the outside world.

This just pulled from fda.gov under the heading "N95 Respirators and Surgical Masks (Face Masks)" today March 23, 2020 (bolding mine):

"N95 Respirators Not for Use by the Public
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not recommend that the general public wear N95 respirators to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including coronavirus (COVID-19). The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. However, as a reminder, CDC always recommends everyday preventive actions, such as hand washing, to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases.

For the general American public, there is no added health benefit to wear a respiratory protective device (such as an N95 respirator), and the immediate health risk from COVID-19 is considered low."

All of that is pretty sad and quite appalling!
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Oneworldflyer64
Obviously it's impossible to predict, just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on timing of below

1. Domestic Quarantines Lifted
2. Travel bans lifted
3. Situation Normalized
I'll play. Pure speculation.

1. 30 days.
2. 45 days.
4. 3 months.

Some conjectures. Implementation of temperature testing en masse, such as in Asia. When testing capabilities are sufficient, test liberally and surgically isolate individuals and pockets with infection rates--positive test carries the rule of law where coercion may be used. Quarantine all those in the high risk demographics. Mass produce some masks, if only to reduce the potential asymptomatic/unwitting spreading. At the risk of pulling a Bloomberg farm thing, how hard is it to make masks? Can't anyone with a sewing machine stitch one up?

Mostly, in my view, Americans will find this cowering stuff tiresome pretty soon. I suspect we're ok with 30 days, but, not much more. Life goes on, regardless. It's not necessary to eliminate this thing, just do our best to avoid the healthcare bottleneck. We ought to be able to practice vigorous mitigation without placing our lives on pause by taking a page out of the SE Asia playbook.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Visconti
In my view, I don't think this is an easy decision. It's easy for us throwing out ideas where consequences to real people are non-existent. If I were making this decision, I'd need more than "this could happen, but on one knows" before taking some of the more extreme measures. Additionally, since the past 10 years of pathogens aren't relevant, can we have a case on why the 1918 should apply here? If we have a high degree of confidence this will be similar to 1918, let's by all means use all our powers to completely shut down the country until it's stamped out. Even then, do we allow foreign travel to introduce this again or another one?

Sure, let's start for WA and CA, in particular that cruise ship on my home shores. Can Gov Newsom send them back? To another State? Not allow anyone to leave until there's 14 day days of infection free passengers? I'm all for surgically targeting high risk areas and demographics.
States which cater to cruise travel should be the ones bear the brunt of issues caused by cruise travel, including quarantine issues relating to ships that either originate or end in the ports in these states. Why should the states benefitting from cruise travel not be responsible for this?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
States which cater to cruise travel should be the ones bear the brunt of issues caused by cruise travel, including quarantine issues relating to ships that either originate or end in the ports in these states. Why should the states benefitting from cruise travel not be responsible for this?
Good point. I don't have a good counterpoint here, except that CA has more power than other States and "may" be in a position to demand more form the Fed Gov't?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by wco81
There are about 400k cases worldwide.

You'd think we'd have more than accounts of asymptomatic transmission. There must be better data.
Knock yourself out on Google looking for more.
Here is another ... https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2001468

We cannot have an account unless we have ideal contact tracing to prove that asymptomatic transmission did occur rather than other community spread, and that means testing a bunch of asymptomatic people preferably in a population where the virus is not prevalent in the community. Where are those situations now?
Asymptomatic transmission is ingrained in our understanding of this virus. Many other viruses can shed/spread before symptoms.

Is it the primary way this virus spreads? No.
Sicker people with higher viral loads are going to spread more which is why all sick people must isolate.

The only reason the non-sick with no known contacts are semi-isolating is to give the healthcare system a more manageable surge of cases infected when most of us in Western countries did not even know what "social distancing" meant, and got infected. Not all of them have presented to the hospitals yet.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by mvoight
Should they in turn bill the states of non-resident passengers for their share of costs?

And then there's the issue of which states really benefit. See page 68 to see one such attempt to quantify (disclaimer: industry piece)

https://cruising.org/-/media/research-updates/research/contribution-of-the-international-cruise-industry-to-the-us-economy-2018.pdf
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Should they in turn bill the states of non-resident passengers for their share of costs?

And then there's the issue of which states really benefit. See page 68 to see one such attempt to quantify (disclaimer: industry piece)
I've never been on a cruise and I am not about to defend that industry, but I can tell you that some states benefit significantly. Some years back there was a study about Bermuda that said they benefit over $400m a year. Which is a lot for such a tiny nation.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I've never been on a cruise and I am not about to defend that industry, but I can tell you that some states benefit significantly. Some years back there was a study about Bermuda that said they benefit over $400m a year. Which is a lot for such a tiny nation.
Neither have I, and, at this rate, I likely never will. Per FT tradition, since I don't take cruises, let's not bail them out and let them fail.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:38 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Extreme social distancing theoretically reduces new cases to zero except healthcare workers and caregivers of a sick household member.

BACK OFF!

Face Masks Signal Loud and Clear: Don’t Come Near Me

"Wearing a mask could serve as a relatively costly signal that someone is serious about social distancing. It’s costly because it looks unattractive and causes other people to treat you with suspicion. Thus, it could be a forceful, effective message to others to stay away when otherwise they might not respect your boundaries.'
The U.S. could benefit from this approach, especially now. In the U.S., where wearing masks isn't common or widely accepted, the signal could be even more powerful. Americans are unused to the idea of social distancing and many aren’t yet taking it
. "https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-03-19/social-distancing-greatly-slows-spread-of-coronavirus
nk15 and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Visconti
I'll play. Pure speculation.

1. 30 days.
2. 45 days.
4. 3 months.
My answer would be those numbers X2.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu

BACK OFF!

Face Masks Signal Loud and Clear: Don’t Come Near Me

"Wearing a mask could serve as a relatively costly signal that someone is serious about social distancing. It’s costly because it looks unattractive and causes other people to treat you with suspicion. Thus, it could be a forceful, effective message to others to stay away when otherwise they might not respect your boundaries.'
The U.S. could benefit from this approach, especially now. In the U.S., where wearing masks isn't common or widely accepted, the signal could be even more powerful. Americans are unused to the idea of social distancing and many aren’t yet taking it seriously. "https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-03-19/social-distancing-greatly-slows-spread-of-coronavirus
There's a shocker! Get out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.