Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by trueblu
Having said that, Iran still hasn't collapsed in a heap...that gives me some hope that the iceberg may well be mostly under water.
tb

I saw a report that some Shia fanatics protested the closing of some shrines and even broke into some courtyards of shrines which had been closed off.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:52 pm
Suspended

The coronavirus can survive on surfaces for up to 17 days, a study published Monday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc-...gers-left.html
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by boboqui
Since the malaria drug seems to help combat the corona virus, I wonder if taking malaria prevention pills prevents one from contracting the corona virus?
There is no empirical evidence that it does anything. There is in vitro indication and anecdotal claim about viral load reduction. No in vivo evidence. Dig deeper, the hype was based on data from a handful of patients and measured virus shedding in the nose.

Originally Posted by chipmaster
Hmm, which countries have successfully flattened the curve and which ones are still exponentially doubling ?
South Korea and it was due in large part to its testing and tracking and tracing. More importantly people were mostly co-operating with self isolation.
Little testing in the west, complete disregard for social distancing. The idiots partying in Miami, or at the UK pubs or in Vancouver Canada speak volumes. The refusal of canadian snowbirds to self isolate explains alot.

Originally Posted by Adelphos
(1. Domestic Quarantines Lifted / 2. Travel bans lifted / 3. Situation Normalized)
1) 45 days - basically end of April
2) 3 months - mid to late Summer
3) Situaiton wont be “normalized” until a vaccine is found - but some people will travel, others wont
Agreed. I also expect a day of reckoning. We will see the repatriation of some key industries like pharma, medical equipment and key components. Some countries have learnt their lesson of letting another country control their destiny.
Canada is now rationing drugs, limiting renewals pf prescriptions to 30 days in some provinces because of supply concerns.
USA refused to allow Dupont to export Tyvek to Canada for PPE use, despite their being a supply contract.
France seizing masks destined for the UK despite a guaranteed supply order.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Hype or not.....

New York State is about to begin testing drugs for treatment of coronavirus, Gov. Cuomo said Sunday.

The feds have given the state 70,000 doses of hydroxychloroquine, 10,000 doses of zithromax and 750,000 doses of chloroquine. Testing will kick off Tuesday, Cuomo said.

“The president is optimistic about these drugs and we are all optimistic that it could work,” the governor said at a press conference. “I’ve spoken with a number of health officials and there is a good basis to believe that they could work.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...lly-story.html
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by QtownDave
The feds have given the state 70,000 doses of hydroxychloroquine, 10,000 doses of zithromax and 750,000 doses of chloroquine. Testing will kick off Tuesday, Cuomo said.
Good. Let's fine out, one way or the other. In my view, "maybe" is one of the most powerful words in the English language.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Visconti
Good. Let's fine out, one way or the other. In my view, "maybe" is one of the most powerful words in the English language.
I would think (hope!) it’s more than just maybe and that they have real reasons to try.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:14 pm

Hype or not.....

New York State is about to begin testing drugs for treatment of coronavirus, Gov. Cuomo said Sunday.

University of Minnesota started a trial last week look at post-exposure prophylaxis with Hydroxychloroquine. There's more going on then the news is getting. Even Trump/Cuomo have been a few days behind when they cover these topics.

https://twin-cities.umn.edu/news-eve...trial-launches
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
University of Minnesota started a trial last week look at post-exposure prophylaxis with Hydroxychloroquine. There's more going on then the news is getting. Even Trump/Cuomo have been a few days behind when they cover these topics.

https://twin-cities.umn.edu/news-eve...trial-launches
I would certainly hope there better be MUCH more going on that’s not reported.

Anyways, I heard someone say that even if these drugs show promise it could still take over a year to do real testing to be sure.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by RedElmo
OMG! I prob won’t even survive 17 days after contacting with coronavirus
The coronavirus can survive on surfaces for up to 17 days, a study published Monday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc-...gers-left.html
Take a deep breath, everyone.
The title of the article is "Public Health Responses to COVID-19 Outbreaks on Cruise Ships — Worldwide, February–March 2020"
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...cid=mm6912e3_w

The word "survive" as in viral survival was not used anywhere in the article.
The word "live" as in live virus was not used anywhere in the article.

All they found was the RNA from the virus showing it was present in the rooms of people whether they were infected or not.
It shows how things spread on a cruise ship. Like looking for bullets in the soil of an old Civil War battlefield site.

And wash your hands. It cannot infect you through your skin.
wrp96 and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Normal masks only help very minimally in preventing virus particles from entering your body, but they do help if you are infected and shedding virus particles, since they impede the free flow of particles away from you into the air. That's enough reason to wear them, because no one knows instantly that they've been infected If they're not N-95 or better masks, they have little effect on medical shortages, so no reason not to wear them except for discomfort.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would think (hope!) it’s more than just maybe and that they have real reasons to try.
From what I've read, "maybe" is about right. No reason not to do a study, though, because maybe is not no.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Oneworldflyer64
Obviously it's impossible to predict, just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on timing of below

1. Domestic Quarantines Lifted
2. Travel bans lifted
3. Situation Normalized
1. Two months. See China.
2. 6 month. if After that you need to stay in quarantine for 14 after arrival at destination. See China.
3. 18 months, after vaccine or treatment is developed.

Last edited by invisible; Mar 23, 2020 at 8:48 pm
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
From what I've read, "maybe" is about right. No reason not to do a study, though, because maybe is not no.
I’m certainly no expert by any means but they didn’t say maybe to trying chemotherapy which says to me there must be some deeper reason these particular ones are bing tried.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:34 pm

I would certainly hope there better be MUCH more going on that’s not reported.

Anyways, I heard someone say that even if these drugs show promise it could still take over a year to do real testing to be sure.
Lord knows, I ain't no scientist. But, if these are FDA approved and *if* these NY trials were to show a high enough efficacy in a large sample size, what's the downside to offering an infected patient the option to take the medication? We just need to bridge the hospital bottleneck gap, and fire up our economy here.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, the three day critical care average "stay" would seem to be somewhat good news, in that most of the simulations about the lack of ICU/CCU beds and resulting breakdown of the medical systems were based on much longer use of these resources by the average patient.
You might want to look at this Sky News article and video on the worst hit hospital in the worst hit city in the worst hit country in Europe. It is a hospital in Bergamo, Italy, and it is downright scary on how the medical system is being overwhelmed:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...pital-11960597

If you have flown an LCC flight into "Milan", then the Bergamo airport is where you landed. I have flown through there a number of times and overnighted there a couple of times. Its medieval old town, high on a hill is atmospheric.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.