Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by shallowdrift
Warm in Iran and that hasn't seemed to help much there.

Not really true for Qom (a major area/town of infection in Iran):
it's been around 3°C to 6°C at night there up until Thursday last week, and only climbing steadily since then...
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by karenkay
USA! USA!

sigh. okay, enough internet for me this morning. I'm going to go for a hike.
I'd do that if I could teleport into the backcountry, but getting there means trailheads--more people than I want to be around.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I got an SMS message from the French government on my French phone telling me about the strict new rules about confinement. I am not subscribed to any such message service so I guess that means they sent an SMS message to every single French mobile phone SIM!! That's a heck of a way to reach out to the population. I think there are 78 million phones active with French operators.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any word on whether people on ACE inhibitors for high blood pressure should be switching to something else?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I'd do that if I could teleport into the backcountry, but getting there means trailheads--more people than I want to be around.
there were people out hiking, but we all kept our five-six foot distance from one another.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:39 pm

It's picking up quite quickly in Australia, including Queensland, where the temperatures now are as warm, or warmer, than much of Europe's summer. Warmer weather will help (and winter will come at a terrible time for us in the southern hemisphere), but it may not help as much as people are hoping. Ultimately stopping the spread is in the hands of the population and we all need to take responsibility for that.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:46 pm

The way things are going, I will not be renewing my UA Club Card or AMEx Platinum Card.
Hard to justify when you won't be flying.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by susiesan
I cannot make any changes to the way I operate. I don't have shifts, I work from 7:30 to 4. The trucks that come in from the manufacturer with the boxes of air filters only come in during the day and customers either pick up or I ship their orders out during the day. This is not an amazon business, this is a real local company, like a hardware store. I cannot possibly clean a 16,000 square foot warehouse in a 100 year old building. Welcome to the real world of running a small business that gets zero help from the federal government. Just the other day my employees asked me if I was going to shut down during this Wuhan virus panic, they don't want to be sent home for a month without pay. I told them I intend to stay open and they will have their jobs.
Originally Posted by ecobiz
I told you guys earlier already, travel will be blocked beyond that time frame

Think about it, if you impose travel bans now, why on earth would you allow travel if more people get infected?
Originally Posted by T8191
And how long before “The Cure is worse than the Disease” starts to impact travel restrictions as economies start to suffer ... especially in tourism-dependent Nations?

We are all in virtually uncharted territory, and much will change (for good or ill) over the coming months.
Originally Posted by trueblu
Many businesses will go bust, and that will have huge consequences, including, as has been alluded numerous times, on health disparities and so on. Having said all that, I don't expect this to last more than a year from now (as per UK predictions). So the hit will be terribly hard, but it won't last long, unlike e.g. 2008 (although I'm not an economist: but generally, rebuilding after a disaster promotes economic stimulus). There will be other positive consequences as well, but unfortunately, they have morbid connotations.

Be well!

tb
I understand at this point we can only guess and make slightly educated predictions and not give absolute truths. However, as a business owner myself, and someone who has been following this thread and the whole thing quite closely I am wondering when do we expect current curfews / limitations / social isolation to end ? And how?

Currently I am preventively self-isolating out of precautions for others but can't stop wondering how many businesses - specially restaurants, coffee shops, babers etc will go bust. And the effects of such. People getting fired, more economical harship which in turn leads to less consumption etc.
​​​​I understand, respect and cherish the many lives at risk with the massive spreading and advocate for avoiding it as much as possible. However, say we don't hit heard immunity until October (positive?)... What do we do until then? Still isolated and in quarantine? Still no flights and airlines collapsing? Still empty restaurants banks etc. Or we go on the street ? And doesn't it restart all over again then?

I disagree with the comparison with 2008. Either I have this all wrong (admittedly I am quite lost) or this will be worse. Because yes it is for a shorter time. But isn't it dramatically harsher ? People are going to die, people are going to face psychological challenges they never did (isolation etc), people are going to lose their jobs in an environment where everyone is either on their houses or scared. When does it end ? How do we even revive some of these past 2021?
​​​​Sounds a bit survival of the fittest (or luckiest).

Am I being catastrophic? Please tell me I am. I'd love to. But above all I'm ingorant. And media frenzy isn't doing anything to clarify my questions other than pass on hysteria of growing numbers (which anyone with half a brain can see is going to happen for a while).

Please note I am note advocating for "this is the flu", l"just go on the street and keep about normal lives" or "f*ck isolation" – and this isn't even about "when can I fly and mileage run again?" - this is more a genuinely interested question of someone that not only doesn't know what will happen (as most of us) but also doesnt have many ideas / guesses on what will happen and how governments and even individuals are going to handle this. i.e. what is moderate success after draconian measures we are all pushing for? How will businesses survive and things ever go back to normal?

​​​​​
JNelson113 and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by shallowdrift
Warm in Iran and that hasn't seemed to help much there.
It does seem not many people are dying of this in the tropics, near the Equator.
No deaths in high case count countries like Malaysia, Singapore, Brazil.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by LapLap
The U.K.’s last minute realisation of what has arrived (it’s no longer on the way) has been published

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf

Apparently (it’s in the FT but I can’t access it) they had been working under the assumption of 80% mildly ill, 15% Hospital ill and 5% needing ICUs.

What Italy found, what Spain has found is what England is finding. That the reality of what they have to deal with is double those percentages needing Hospital Beds and ICUs.

Here’s a graph showing that terrible, terrible reality - and somehow, the U.K. are going to have to put together IMMEDIATELY a package of measures to do the best they can with it. Seems it will be a reactive, day by day process to cobble together mitigation methods - it is too much to solve in one fell swoop. I get that. I don’t forgive them for it, but I get it.

The above graph is for the mitigation efforts (half efforts, basically) in the UK. The important graph for the US is in the Appendix of the report, Figure A, for the suppression efforts (strong efforts) in the US.

The report basically says that if we do nothing, 2.2 mil deaths in the US; if we do mitigation (partial efforts) 1.1 mil deaths; and if we do suppression (full efforts) we will be relatively ok, but we have to keep them going from 5-18 months, until a successful vaccine is mass produced. Figure A shows that we should keep suppression efforts at least for 5 months, but if we lift them before a vaccine is ready the ICUs will be overrun almost immediately and greatly, as they will be operating close or slightly above capacity the whole time.

They are basically saying we need to start full throttle strong suppression measures now and cannot let up until a vaccine is mass produced, or there will be carnage.
Stuttgart21 likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Mar 16, 2020 at 7:55 pm
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:34 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by stimpy
Military convoy moving in to Paris, via the porte de Charenton minutes ago.
What is the military doing in Paris?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:39 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by stimpy
I got an SMS message from the French government on my French phone telling me about the strict new rules about confinement. I am not subscribed to any such message service so I guess that means they sent an SMS message to every single French mobile phone SIM!! That's a heck of a way to reach out to the population. I think there are 78 million phones active with French operators.
Pretty common. In the USA you get Amber alerts forced down your throat that way. In HK I get random govt alerts about the protests sometimes.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by nk15
The above graph is for the mitigation efforts (half efforts, basically) in the UK. The important graph for the US is in the Appendix of the report, Figure A, for the suppression efforts (strong efforts) in the US.
Appendix says for figure A:

“Suppression strategy scenarios for US showing ICU bed requirements. The black line shows the unmitigated epidemic. Green shows a suppression strategy incorporating closure of schools and universities, case isolation and population-wide social distancing beginning in late March 2020. The orange line shows a containment strategy incorporating case isolation, household quarantine and population-wide social distancing. The red line is the estimated surge ICU bed capacity in GB.”

I assume the “GB” is a copy paste mistake and should be US.

They appear to use an ICU surge capacity for GB of 8 beds for 100,000 people and 14 for the US. Are those numbers accurate? I have been trying to find numbers and found this page:

https://www.statista.com/chart/21105...0-inhabitants/

UK: 6.6 / 100,00 as of 2012
US: 34.7 / 100,000 as of 2009
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Not really true for Qom (a major area/town of infection in Iran):
it's been around 3°C to 6°C at night there up until Thursday last week, and only climbing steadily since then...
Fair enough - I only checked the current weather. I don't think Lombardy has had an especially chilly winter either though.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Appendix says for figure A:

“Suppression strategy scenarios for US showing ICU bed requirements. The black line shows the unmitigated epidemic. Green shows a suppression strategy incorporating closure of schools and universities, case isolation and population-wide social distancing beginning in late March 2020. The orange line shows a containment strategy incorporating case isolation, household quarantine and population-wide social distancing. The red line is the estimated surge ICU bed capacity in GB.”

I assume the “GB” is a copy paste mistake and should be US.

They appear to use an ICU surge capacity for GB of 8 beds for 100,000 people and 14 for the US. Are those numbers accurate? I have been trying to find numbers and found this page:

https://www.statista.com/chart/21105...0-inhabitants/

UK: 6.6 / 100,00 as of 2012
US: 34.7 / 100,000 as of 2009
Even if you raise these numbers and the red line in the graph as much, it is still very bad, it won't matter much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.