Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Also not sure comparing Germany to anyone else is the best of ideas since they’ve been the best at containment.
No, they're not. Look at South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore or Malaysia for that. Those countries have brought it under control. Instead, Germany might become a critical case. Not as bad as, say, Italy, but bad.

The country in Europe to be most concerned about is the UK. They got fewer critical care beds per capita than Italy, Spain, Germany, or France. They are ill-prepared. And they're late in the game in the implementation of containment measures. (In that last regard, they're not unlike Germany.)
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bobbytables
Opinions vary, and this is one. I’ve read other epidemiologists saying they honestly don’t know what the best course of action is. From that perspective I applaud the decision to try something different.
Let me stress before writing anything further that this is just my personal opinion (and perhaps I am biased because I have received UK medical and epidemiological training), but I think the UK approach is reasonable.

As you say, no-one truly knows what the right course of action is. I am a little skeptical about the idea of herd immunity because we do not know what the immunological correlates are for COVID-19 yet.

However, one thing is certain. We do not have sufficient resource to implement widescale testing in the UK in the same way as countries like South Korea. We have to make choices about the limited healthcare resources we have. Personally, if I were to become unwell with respiratory failure, I would like to know I could have access to medical oxygen and a ventilator whereas I would be less concerned about knowing who is infected with COVID-19. Instead of mass testing to determine who is infected, why not take the approach that everyone is infectious (until proven otherwise) and practise social distancing accordingly. And then channel all available resources into ramping up manufacturing of ventilators, medical oxygen and portable oxygen concentrators. Because we know these interventions can save lives by buying precious time for people in respiratory failure.

But that is just my personal opinion and I know many others (particularly in the US) disagree and feel the UK should adopt a firmer approach with school closures/widescale testing etc.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
How much thought has gone into the time periods that have currently been announced? Most domestic US closures (schools, bar/restaurants, etc) seem to be through the end of March, travel waivers and such seem to be through the end of April. Are these entirely arbitrary, where one group announced something and then everyone else copied them, or is this based on what was observed in China? I don't work in epidemiology, but I have done a lot of work with network effects and complex dynamical systems from an econometric standpoint and given the lack of data we have, even if there is methodology behind these timings the error bars must be huge!

My entirely selfish motivation behind this line of thought, I have a mid-May trip to Greenland and the Faroes planned and I'll be really sad if I have to cancel it. I'm trying to estimate the probability of that happening so I can brace myself now
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by DanielW
The UK is going for a different strategy to the rest of the world. They are no longer aiming for containment and are instead opting for managed infection.
Nobody knows what the UK strategy is, but judging from the lack and delay of social distancing measures, it looks like a major disaster in the making.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QtownDave
I find the UK's approach fascinating and it will be interesting to look back a year from now to see what happened.
All the major western countries are competing who will f this up the most, we will see who wins in the end.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by zymm
<snip> My entirely selfish motivation behind this line of thought, I have a mid-May trip to Greenland and the Faroes planned and I'll be really sad if I have to cancel it. I'm trying to estimate the probability of that happening so I can brace myself now
totally get it. it sucks. I have no scientific background, but think you should start preparing yourself for a cancelation. hopefully, I'm wrong, but steeling yourself now is likely a good idea.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by nk15
All the major western countries are competing who will f this up the most, we will see who wins in the end.
USA! USA!

sigh. okay, enough internet for me this morning. I'm going to go for a hike.
notquiteaff and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gov Cuomo speaks the bitter truth right now live, and it is not pretty.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Just to clarify you are allowed to leave after 6 days for international departure, not be made to stay full fourteen like Hong Kong
Percy, do you happen to have a link for this? That is NOT what is being reported on other Australian travel forums. However those forums are starting to become so slanted to "Stay the Puck Home" messaging, it's getting harder to discern what information is actually accurate.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by zerolife
I wasn't clear probably. I meant they probably want to get out of Europe before the travel ban is in effect. My understanding is that if you are a US citizen or permanent resident, you can still return to the US during the travel ban however you will have to be quarantined for 14 days at one of the quarantine bases. Certainly not fun and some people simply cannot afford to be quarantined that long (either due to work or some other reason)
Hmmm could be. But it's still a lets scare the sheeple click bait story. Low on facts high on hype. My tolerance level for this kind of sensationalism is just above zero at this time.
I'll leave it at that before another post gets deleted for being too blunt.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
And how long before “The Cure is worse than the Disease” starts to impact travel restrictions as economies start to suffer ... especially in tourism-dependent Nations?

We are all in virtually uncharted territory, and much will change (for good or ill) over the coming months.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Also not sure comparing Germany to anyone else is the best of ideas since they’ve been the best at containment.
I wish I were as optimistic as you are

On the ground, things aren't looking that good. Bars were full until the local government pulled the plug. Restaurants don't even make an effort seating people apart (one half of the restaurant is empty, and all tables in the other half are occupied). People still go out in groups. Lots of people don't believe in the severity of the danger or don't want to sacrifice their liberties - are they waiting for triage to start in German hospitals?? If people don't heed to the government advice, we will get a mandatory curfew soon, which I am dreading. There are a lot of safe outdoor activities - driving around, cycling (not in groups), walking in the countryside, and I am not looking forward to being confined at home due to the action of clueless idiots (and I do not mean politicians here).

I simply don't get it - German are concerned about the climate warming, nuclear plants, world hunger and other abstract stuff. But here, there is a huge imminent danger and the expected # of deaths by day can be calculated using a simple formula - and it seems lots of people don't care.

And this is reflected in numbers - the number of infections in Germany is growing by the same 25% per day as in other European countries

Of course I hope I am wrong and recent measures will show effect, we'll know that in 3-4 days I think. Italy seems to have stopped the exponential growth with their curfew. Even if the exponential growth slows down to 10% per day like in Japan, it would be a huge relief.
roesner, artemis, T8191 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:49 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I am with cockpitvisit on this one. It looks to me that Germany and Germans are completely in a bubble of federalism and lack of responsibilities. It scares me quite a lot. In my town in Rheinland Pfalz behavior have not changed one iota, except for panic buying.
artemis likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:51 am

canada banning entry to non-residents (citizens, pr, exclusions for crew, americans) etc. whee
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Regarding the mandatory curfew, rumour is it will be imposed in France with similar rules to Italy. Macron is speaking at 8pm in France to detail it. Wednesday 6pm curfew starts, people can shop and work and walk their dogs and that's it. For 45 days...

All that because people wouldn't follow advice.
artemis and nk15 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.