Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by AussieInLondon
I'll be at my home in Australia, which hopefully wont be too bad! Though I would rather not have to spend the full 2 weeks there as then I would need to work for a week which can be a pain on such a large time difference
Not sure about Australia but in HK, you would be arrested. The point of isolation is to prevent you from infecting others during the incubation period. What is the point of isolation if they let you travel back?
Loren Pechtel, T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by susiesan
What is the small business owner to do? I have 6 employees counting me. I am in the wholesale distribution business. I sell air filters which are actually kind of important during this crisis. If I close down for a month, I won't be paying my employees. I won't have any sales. I will be out of business. And my customers who need to change their air filters in their buildings won't be able to. Some of us are not in a position to work from home or just take a month off. There would be no financial help from the feds for a tiny business like mine, only big companies get help during times like this.
Perhaps better for the Lounge thread. But can you ensure physical separation for the employees? Implement temporary shift work for further separation (three eight hour shifts instead if having all six work at the same time from 9-5), with thorough and frequent cleaning of shared work places?

Companies like yours and employees like yours are what I am worried about. The Walmarts and the Amazons will get through this. Best of luck.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:08 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Smiley90
If you're going to Australia for just 6 nights, are you just going to spend the whole 6 nights holed up in a hotel room as is mandatory and then fly home? why still go?
I just got asked this question wrt NZ's 14-day requirement.

If this was HK, answer is an unequivocal yes https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...0020700775.htm

NZ seems implied yes, any better answers https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/...self-isolation ?

Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Thanks for the feedback, seems it may be more trouble than it's worth and to be sure I guess I will extend the trip by another week
percysmith likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
Singapore here. Gyms are still operating because we are in much better situation compared to US/EU. However, there are the following requirements:

- at every gym entrance and inside there is a hand sanitizer and you must use it before entering the facility
- staff must disinfect/clean the facility/surfaces before opening and after closing
- there is a limit how many people can be inside at any time
- everyone coming in must fill the paper/electronic application form with contact details, recent travel history and take temp measurements.
Singapore sure has its acts together.
Limiting the number of guests is an interesting idea, potentially quite beneficial. It'd be frustrating if you can't get in, wonderful if you're in.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by evergrn
For regular gym-goers who live in highly affected areas such as NYC, Seattle, London, Singapore... are you still going or staying away from the gym?

Gym is a worrisome environment and I think ideally we stay away.
My gym is sending out notices telling people to do this and that to keep things hygienic and informing us that they're going the extra mile to keep the facility safe.
But I wonder if there's really been much change compared to usual.
I hear people (men) clearing throats and blowing nose in the shower. Most people aren't wiping down equipments after use.
While the roads have cleared up due to a lot less commuters, my gym remains just as busy.
But I'm still going because otherwise it's hard to stay active and fit esp when it's 5C temp outside.
I wouldn't go. I'm not in a highly affected area (yet, but there's no meaningful testing available here so I'm sure there's a significant number of unreported cases) but I went to my last yoga class on Wednesday, and felt uncomfortable about it then. decided afterwards to take a couple of weeks off to get more information. i will bundle up and walk outside or do yoga at home in the interim.

turns out I was ahead of the curve--got an email today that the studio is closing for an undetermined period of time while they figure out what to do. I suspect other gyms/yoga studios/etc will be following suit.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold * Alliance Gold IHG Platinum
Hey guys and girls, not sure this is the right place but hey, I have just flown back from TIA to LGW with BA but as Albania decided to do lockdown weekend, I spent the weekend in my hotel doing not a lot, you can only walk so far. Anyhow after jumping through hoops to get back to The airport, ALL eateries were closed this includes the business lounge. So as I paid full fair for a business class seat including lounge access do you think I am Entitled to any kind of refund as the full package was not offered. I get it’s not BA fault but should I have to pay for this privilege and not receive it. To be fair no traveller no Mather what class you were was offered any form of refreshments, and the check in desk staff were not the best helpful to be honest. Thanks for positive responses😀😀😀
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
You may not enjoy cooking, but if you have the ability to improve your own and your city’s ability to weather this storm by cooking meals at home instead of getting takeout
Can I ask what is wrong with takeout, given that people have microwaves and toaster ovens at home? What would it take to kill a virus on my food? 5 second in the microwave?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by FlitBen
...And we have yet to encounter the next adaptive evolution of 2019-nCov, if any.
It typically takes years, but all viruses eventually evolve to be less lethal to the host. The strains that do less harm to the host get to live in it, multiply, and spread longer than those strains that kill the host quickly and thus don't get to spread as much. Ebola is very slow to evolve in humans, b/c it can even be spread by a dead host. But even Ebola has become harmless to many other hosts (chimps, etc).
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by stimpy
Can I ask what is wrong with takeout, given that people have microwaves and toaster ovens at home? What would it take to kill a virus on my food? 5 second in the microwave?
Interaction with people, touching common surfaces (packaging).

Personally, I used UberEats two nights ago. Ask me in five days how I am doing. But it’s all relative. The food I bought in the grocery store three weeks ago, home-cooked, exposes me to less risk than the UberEats delivery. But both are probably safer than going to a packed restaurant for a leisurely dinner tonight.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For regular gym-goers who live in highly affected areas such as NYC, Seattle, London, Singapore... are you still going or staying away from the gym?
I'm still going to the gym in NYC because it is important to keep my body strong in case it has to fight this virus. Plus I always spend time in the jacuzzi, sauna and steam room afterwards and that should cook any viruses good.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm still going to the gym in NYC because it is important to keep my body strong in case it has to fight this virus. Plus I always spend time in the jacuzzi, sauna and steam room afterwards and that should cook any viruses good.
I wouldn't be sure the Jacuzzi is hot enough to kill the virus... It's barely hotter than body temperature. Arguably the dirties part of the gym... I would definitely avoid it and just work out at home if possible.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many

My gym is sending out notices telling people to do this and that to keep things hygienic and informing us that they're going the extra mile to keep the facility safe.
I hear people (men) clearing throats and blowing nose in the shower. Most people aren't wiping down equipments after use.
While the roads have cleared up due to a lot less commuters, my gym remains just as busy.
But I'm still going because otherwise it's hard to stay active and fit esp when it's 5C temp outside.
Left the city and went to house in the countryside with a home gym. Before that, stopped going to gym/hockey/boxing the last but of time in the city due to excessive risk. Seems like a great place for germs to spread. I'd avoid and do what exercises you can at home and walk/run outside in isolated areas.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:36 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

One of our super spreaders took out the gym and subsequently the entire clubhouse https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-linked-flurry
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I wouldn't be sure the Jacuzzi is hot enough to kill the virus... It's barely hotter than body temperature. Arguably the dirties part of the gym... I would definitely avoid it and just work out at home if possible.
The jacuzzi is heavily chlorinated. I'm not sure if Chlorine has any effect on this virus, but it does on other nasty things. And the sauna is plenty hot. I would think that 50c would kill any virus, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.