Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, dont call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Because that's the mortality rate you get when the healthcare system overloads.
theres zero chance that is the mortality rate. People need to learn the definition of a case (someone who has tested positive and been diagnosed) and thus what CFR is. The healthcare system in Italy is at capacity and there is no chance they are going around testing people with no symptoms or minor symptoms. So it obviously follows that the CFR will be higher than somewhere with a few tens or hundreds of cases, where more of the minor infections have the potential to be diagnosed and thus recorded as a case. This does not mean that the real mortality rate of the disease in Italy is that high.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Wuhan got to the point the are now only after banning grocery shopping and leaving you building. Only allowed to go to the ground floor to pick up grocery/food orders and take out trash. So the measures above may be insufficient.
I agree, this would be the next step, if needed, I am just trying to ease the Americans and the Europeans into it, lol, who are still oblivious and crowd the bars...

My personal prediction is that we will have half-measures in the next couple of days, and by Friday the latest most jurisdictions in the US would have moved to at least partial, if not full lockdown. Which it will still be too little too late, full lockdown should happen now across the country with federal guidance.

Last edited by nk15; Mar 14, 2020 at 9:41 pm
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If there's no lifetime immunity, that is going to be a huge deal.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Something like the Federal Reserve?

One problem, I think, is the agency you are imagining needs a large operational component or the ability to commandeer other agencies of the administration to implement its decisions.
Yes, and it would have extensive authority that cannot be overridden by the administration, and will be accountable only to the congressional bipartisan committee.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Wuhan got to the point the are now only after banning grocery shopping and leaving you building. Only allowed to go to the ground floor to pick up grocery/food orders and take out trash. So the measures above may be insufficient.
Did China (Wuhan, specifically) have a strong grocery delivery system? Services obviously exist here in the US, but where I live they are certainly not at a scale that it could overnight replace grocery shopping trips. I have seen news reports of the National Guard delivering food to homes in New Rochelle NY, but that isnt going to scale, certainly not overnight (and people will worry/whine that they dont get the food they like... or perhaps actually need for dietary reasons).
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Did China (Wuhan, specifically) have a strong grocery delivery system? Services obviously exist here in the US, but where I live they are certainly not at a scale that it could overnight replace grocery shopping trips. I have seen news reports of the National Guard delivering food to homes in New Rochelle NY, but that isn’t going to scale, certainly not overnight (and people will worry/whine that they don’t get the food they like... or perhaps actually need for dietary reasons).
The current earlier grocery delivery time in my suburban location is at least 48-60 hours (2-3 days) for Instacart (for any of their ten stores they deliver from), while Shipt does not show any delivery dates available at all. But frankly, I doubt that Instacart will even deliver at all, as all grocery stores are empty/emptied very quickly upon restocking.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ezefllying
I'm not sure whether such extreme measures are necessary if strict social distancing (short of actual apartment-building confinement) is undertaken earlier-on in the spread of the pandemic. I don't know, but I'm not aware of Hong Kong, South Korea or Singapore undertaking such measures, and their viral spread seems to be declining or relatively flat. And I'm not aware of whether other Chinese cities have implemented such measures either.
The big question is: are we still early-on in the spread?

China locked down Wuhan on Jan 23 (reports talk about travel lockdown; not sure when exactly restrictions on moving within the city for shopping, work were imposed).

At that time there were 17 deaths and 600 identified cases. And what was the result of the drastic measures taken in Wuhan/Hubei? Nearly 70k cases and 3000+ deaths.

Compare that to where WA is today: 40 deaths, 642 identified cases.

Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swampwiz
The airlines/agents are acting like the guy selling $100 gallon jugs of water after a hurricane.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/t...ban-paris.html
It was even sadder that they bought one way tix instead of roundtrips, I am guessing not FTs.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
What a joke. It's not possible to make a pizza with no humans touching it or being in the same room as it. Well I suppose if the cooks and the driver are wearing hazmat suits.

As if putting the pizza on the doorstep instead of handing it to you will make any difference.

This is just one example of what happens when people panic and rush to make up stupid idiotic "solutions". It's just as useless as Jim Bakker's fake coronavirus cure that he got slapped for.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jim-b...b691b525f027c0
It's actually a good safety measure. It doesn't do a lot to protect you from the pizza guy unless the first thing you do is disinfect the pizza box, but it does a lot to protect the pizza guy from you. The fewer people the pizza guy contacts the less likely he is to be infected and thus the less likely to give you the bug along with your pizza.

Quit thinking only of yourself, short of total isolation the best protection everyone has is to minimize the spread in society. The fewer sick people the less likely you are to encounter one.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paolo64
Under normal circumstances ,taking an antibody test ( to show a previous infection) would lessen some of the anxiety, and perhaps speed economic recovery , as those with a positive result ( reflecting exposure and recovery, presumably in the context of a mild infection, and some level of immunity) could return to more normal activities sooner, and without apprehension.
Yup. Testing for infection control is soon not going to mean much, but testing for knowing you're now immune has considerable value. There also would be value in using the immune to provide care for the sick. Obviously, most of them aren't going to have the training to do much but even for the simple jobs they're not going to need to use up PPE that's in short supply.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
This weekend, I’ve seen more and more social media chatter about urging people to “avoid travel,” “avoid large gatherings,” “don’t go to bars,” etc. My anecdotal evidence suggests these types of heeding aren’t being widely followed. It seems likely that more strict regulations will be attempted by states and cities over the next week or so.
Local observation: I'm a member of several local hiking groups. One leader has announced they are not doing any hikes for now, the rest of the schedule seems basically intact, although there has been discussion of minimizing contact. (No carpools, no passed-around sign-in sheet and the like.) Note that the leader that has dropped out is part of a group that has a 50+ requirement and I would say the average age is 60+.

Last edited by Loren Pechtel; Mar 14, 2020 at 10:29 pm
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:48 pm

China is not the only country to learn from. South Korea halted the epidemic with less drastic measures.

Also, Japan doesn't seem to have a lock down, but their number of infections "only" grows by 10% per day, which is half of our grow rate here. I am not sure Japan has any measures in place apart from everyone wearing masks.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by bobbytables
the hypothesis is that temperature affects infection (transmission). There is an unknown and variable delay between infection and recording as a case. In particular that delay can vary a lot between different places. This, temperature vs. number of cases is a deeply problematic - I would say almost useless - statistic.
A good study will take all these into consideration, by stratifying the cases in a sufficiently large sample. Among the simpler analysis mentioned on the COVID-19 thread before the split, one paper merits a peer review. See Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting.post 3846)

Past experiences with other coronaviruses suggested a relationship. Since it is difficult to imagine transmission affecting temperature, the empirical evidence of thse other viruses suggests temperature influences transmission. We are eagerly waiting to see if this is also true with COVID-19 viruses. I was pleased to see one decent attempt (the paper mentioned in the above post) to support this relationship. I do not have time to ask for the details of the original data or to review the statistical significance, but the work looks solid.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:16 pm

Japans main method of halting the epidemic seems to be not testing many people, its not an approach many people feel is particularly well thought out.

that said, I do think that the approaches that countries like Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong have taken are a good way forward, real changes but getting in early before its too late and before everything needs to be shut down. Im hoping it isnt to late that my country, Australia, to follow that approach, seems to me that the USA and Western Europe is probably too far gone for that now.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by ezefllying
I’m looking forward to clearer evidence on whether Covid infection confers immunity — even 1-2 years’ worth — on those who recover from it.

I’m roughly 30. If the projections are correct and the U.S. doesn’t enjoy some fortuitous China-like drop in infections,* I figure about half of my generation will contract the disease within the next year. But I’m also worried about the potential for care of older Americans — 60+ — to be strained when the virus hits its peak. And by “care,” I mean things like home food and medicine delivery and basic medical care to become limited as normal caregivers are themselves incapacitated or recruited to help overburdened hospitals.

I wonder if one potential solution to that problem is for governments to recruit those who have recovered, and thus (hopefully) enjoy immunity, to pick up the slack in a volunteer or low-pay capacity. Perhaps this could be accomplished through the national guard, or via some civilian corps to be established by the states. (Based on what I’ve seen so far, the states seem more willing and organized to confront this virus than the federal government.)

A Civilian Conservation Corps-style body could even be set up to coordinate such a force. And, as an economic measure, it could pay those — restaurant and food-service workers, hotel staff, Uber/Lyft drivers and others whose businesses will plummet — to fulfill those roles. I think a disproportionate share of those workers are younger, meaning they’ll be more likely to recover quickly from the disease. Consider it both a public health effort and a gig-economy bailout.

Of course, this depends in large part on whether Covid grants immunity. But if it does, I hope such a program would be viable.

*One hypothesis, mentioned by another poster, that I’m hopeful about is the notion that very-low-grade exposure confers limited immunity, such that millions of Americans could enjoy a natural vaccine without becoming symptomatic or infectious. If that other poster is right, this may explain the lack of an apparent reignition of the virus in Wuhan as people start to head back to work.
I'm also curious about this. If it doesn't confer immunity, then isn't a quarantine just buying us time by flattening the curve so as not to overload the healthcare system and hope that by the time we lift the quarantine, we have better tools to fight it or transmission reduces because of better weather or whatever? Any good authoritative links on this or do we not know yet?

EDIT: CDC says this.

Originally Posted by CDC
Q: Can people who recover from COVID-19 be infected again?

A: The immune response to COVID-19 is not yet understood. Patients with MERS-CoV infection are unlikely to be re-infected shortly after they recover, but it is not yet known whether similar immune protection will be observed for patients with COVID-19.

EDIT2: One more link to our very own trueblu's excellent post on the subject of immunity, which seems a bit contradictory to what the CDC says. Anyway, thanks trueblu! Your posts on this thread are super enlightening.

Last edited by abcx; Mar 15, 2020 at 1:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.