FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:15 am
abcx

Originally Posted by ezefllying
I’m looking forward to clearer evidence on whether Covid infection confers immunity — even 1-2 years’ worth — on those who recover from it.

I’m roughly 30. If the projections are correct and the U.S. doesn’t enjoy some fortuitous China-like drop in infections,* I figure about half of my generation will contract the disease within the next year. But I’m also worried about the potential for care of older Americans — 60+ — to be strained when the virus hits its peak. And by “care,” I mean things like home food and medicine delivery and basic medical care to become limited as normal caregivers are themselves incapacitated or recruited to help overburdened hospitals.

I wonder if one potential solution to that problem is for governments to recruit those who have recovered, and thus (hopefully) enjoy immunity, to pick up the slack in a volunteer or low-pay capacity. Perhaps this could be accomplished through the national guard, or via some civilian corps to be established by the states. (Based on what I’ve seen so far, the states seem more willing and organized to confront this virus than the federal government.)

A Civilian Conservation Corps-style body could even be set up to coordinate such a force. And, as an economic measure, it could pay those — restaurant and food-service workers, hotel staff, Uber/Lyft drivers and others whose businesses will plummet — to fulfill those roles. I think a disproportionate share of those workers are younger, meaning they’ll be more likely to recover quickly from the disease. Consider it both a public health effort and a gig-economy bailout.

Of course, this depends in large part on whether Covid grants immunity. But if it does, I hope such a program would be viable.

*One hypothesis, mentioned by another poster, that I’m hopeful about is the notion that very-low-grade exposure confers limited immunity, such that millions of Americans could enjoy a natural vaccine without becoming symptomatic or infectious. If that other poster is right, this may explain the lack of an apparent reignition of the virus in Wuhan as people start to head back to work.
I'm also curious about this. If it doesn't confer immunity, then isn't a quarantine just buying us time by flattening the curve so as not to overload the healthcare system and hope that by the time we lift the quarantine, we have better tools to fight it or transmission reduces because of better weather or whatever? Any good authoritative links on this or do we not know yet?

EDIT: CDC says this.

Originally Posted by CDC
Q: Can people who recover from COVID-19 be infected again?

A: The immune response to COVID-19 is not yet understood. Patients with MERS-CoV infection are unlikely to be re-infected shortly after they recover, but it is not yet known whether similar immune protection will be observed for patients with COVID-19.

EDIT2: One more link to our very own trueblu's excellent post on the subject of immunity, which seems a bit contradictory to what the CDC says. Anyway, thanks trueblu! Your posts on this thread are super enlightening.

Last edited by abcx; Mar 15, 2020 at 1:00 am